Mango Restaurant -papeete?

dennbr9

Has anyone told you that you look a little like Anthony Bordain in your avatra? Just curious...

Someone went in October, but her thread is buried and the search function is down. I've tried researching it on line and couldn't come up with anything. I'm just hoping it's still there when we go in October.

Charlie

Charlie: You are the first regarding Mr. Bordain; I do like his show though.

We are looking to go there ( Mango ) the night before our Cruise, and just want to make sure it is still there and as good as people say.

Take care,

Dennis

Please, please do let us know if Mango's is still open and if the food is as great as they say. We don't go until October - I'll trade you!! Didn't think so...have a safe and wonderful time.

Charlie

P.S. I think the beer helps, with regards to A.B.

Have read some good things about Mango Restaurant in Papeete, but it is not listed on any Tourist/Tourism sites I have looked at.

Anyone been there lately?

Haven't been there--found it on google--picture and a write-up--says dinner and wine about $50 USD--can't find an address/phone# etc.--if you find it--let us all know--we'll be there 19th and 29/30 of this month--there was something about the restaurant being healthy and tending toward grilling--looks clean and bright in the photo--I'm sure I just missed the address--somone wiser than I had better get on google and find it.

Nancy:D

Nancy and Friscorays - what a great site (the review)! And current as well. That's what I wanted to see. It sounds like they are doing well and hopefully we'll be able to enjoy them when we're there. I knew they would be pricy, but I don't mind if we're getting it back in well prepared tasty food and service.

We're also heading over to Rangiroa, as did our Mr. Bordain,but I'm thinking we'll be doing a little more swmming and less hanging out in a hammock than he did when we visited the Sauvage.

Thank you, thank you for your posts!

Charlie

Mango's is still open as of February. Located at the foot of the Vaima Center, off the side steps before the open air L'Oasis cafe. It has large plate glass windows with an orange modernist decor and a big bar, set in one room.

Didn't eat there but the posted menu appears similar to what was indicated on Bourdain's show, ie. Breadfruit Rossini (bf and foie gras in a souffle dish). Entrees were, as I recall, $30-40 US.

For what its worth, when asking a variety of locals and French residents, Mango's got an ambivalent response. Top two recs were: L' oa la Bouche (close by on Passage Cardella) and Corbeille d'Eau (farther away down the Promenade). We ate at both - one lunch, one dinner. Both were very good, exactly as informed locals and several guide books had claimed.

Ia orana

I have tried mango right after the airing of the show

Fun to have a full on dinner right upon arriving in papeete (after a meal service on Board )

This retired chef here has absolutely felt in love with the creativity of the menu, the blend of European cuisine meeting with Strong tahitian accents. Unique experience indeed

the telephone number is ( 689) 43 25 55.

The owner lived and worked in Los angeles ( so perfect english is spoken there). Fronm the docks, facing the Vaima center, go on the left hand side of the building.

L' O a la Bouche just located a block away is a busy place in week days for lunch with the local population (always a great sign of quality). The cuisine is more european for the main lines with still some poisson crus and some other tahitian dishes.

Make some room for dessert too.

Bon appetit!

PS: For Shopping in the street behind the vaima center is my favorite baby, kids tahitian clothing shop at Reva Creations. Priceless Tahitian clothing in all sizes to be brought back home.

meherio

Thanks, Meherio, in case we eat too much at Mango's or our personal favorite, Cafe Rene, it's nice to know we can buy clothes in large sizes:D

I'm just happy that the restaurant is still around and seems to be doing well. However, I have to confess that for all the time we've spent time in Papeete, we haven't had a bad meal yet!

Charlie

You'll have to excuse me now - "No Reservations" is on...

Archived