Cozumel Review

nasvhillecruise

We LOVED Cozumel.

We were there last Thurs on the NCL Spirit. We tendered in, which was on a much bigger & faster tender than the one in Belize. Once on shore, we got a taxi to take us around the island. After reading posts on here, I realize we paid much too much ($80 total for 3 people for 2 hours), but it was still a great day. It was obvious that the driver was getting kickbacks as he was eager to take us to certain places. But all turned out well.

TEQUILA NURSERY: On the main road from one side of the island to another, there was a tequila nursery with a store. The driver kept mentioning it, although we said we weren't interested in the tour ($10 each). He said we should at least take pics of the tequila plants (forgot the scientific name), which would be free. We agreed to go and once we got there, the manager/owner took us to the store, explaining the tequila making process. We pretty much got the tour, even though we didn't pay. In the store were all kinds of flavored tequila (coffee, vanilla, almond, blue). They were WONDERFUL & we ended up buying a couple of bottles.

QUIET SIDE OF THE ISLAND: One word to describe this part of the island is PARADISE. The water was all shades of blue & turquoise. We went to Coconuts, but it hadn't opened, so we just took some pictures. We kept going and got to the "blow hole." There were large rocks and crashing waves. It reminded me of Maine's Acadia with colorful water & warm weather.

PARADISE BEACH & SAN FRANCISCO BEACH: We went to Paradise Beach, although the cab driver kept telling us he knew of a better beach. We walked in and the water was extremely chocolatey. The driver told us he'd take us to another beach where the water would be glue. We agreed, & he got us by taking us next door to San Francisco Beach. The water looked the same, although they did have a pool & larger lockers, which we needed. Our son LOVED the pool, so we were glad we went there. We walked back to Paradise Beach for lunch, laying in the son, & playing in the waves. Soon, though, my son wanted to go back to the pool which we did.

SHOPPING: We were getting close to the end of the day but wanted to do a little shopping, so we got another taxi to take us back to the tenders. We wandered around a little & bought a few souvenirs. Then it was back to the tender & the Spirit.

The only cons were the taxi driver overcharging us, trying to take us where he wanted (although we did like the places he took us), & the chocolatey water at PB (no one can help the weather. The MAIN CON, though, was the fact we didn't have more time to enjoy the wonderful island ;) .

Here are a couple of pics. The 1st two are from the "quiet side of the island." The 3rd is from San Francisco Beach's Pool and the last two are from Paradise Beach.

Debbie

P1310484.jpg.1075346c00b304c30f7c2899036f50a0.jpg

P1310490.jpg.3ab55f3b313ab0d569865961dd026151.jpg

P1310523.jpg.3c846ddec008c9a8944e9ef965a26972.jpg

P1310543.jpg.499f258872dab45fff3988fa00ce7a92.jpg

P1310532.jpg.f6eaa038bb5a3e8b3bc1045bf17d6949.jpg

What is coconuts? I haven't been to the coz forum lately so forgive me if there is a post about it and I just posted a ???? Your tour sounds really nice tho. Do you feel you got to see a lot of the island in 2 hours???

What is coconuts? I haven't been to the coz forum lately so forgive me if there is a post about it and I just posted a ???? Your tour sounds really nice tho. Do you feel you got to see a lot of the island in 2 hours???

Coconuts is a bar/restaurant on the east side of the island. I'll attach a couple more pics I took from there. It is an ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL view. Like I said, it was closed unfortunately, so I'd LOVE to go back someday.

2 hours was SO NOT enough time. I would have stopped at several other places, especiallty Punta Sur, had there been more time. I would have also spent more time at the Blow Hole (I'm thinking that's what it's called) had there been more time. It's a cave where the water pounds in & makes crazy sounds every so often. There's one in Acadia in Maine but it's not nearly as big as this one (though it is louder).

I would have also liked more time at the beach as well as some time to shop. At least now I know I HAVE to go back. In fact, we're thinking of a weeklong vacation there soon, I enjoyed it so much. So if anyone knows of good places to stay ????? . . .

P1310493.jpg.5cbb2cf5138aa35ed915e3d39de9a817.jpg

P1310499.jpg.86d2b9f7a0230156dcc58265e6a1554f.jpg

P1310488.jpg.0cfbc9196147432165a1f415d0db303b.jpg

I would have also liked more time at the beach as well as some time to shop. At least now I know I HAVE to go back. In fact, we're thinking of a weeklong vacation there soon, I enjoyed it so much. So if anyone knows of good places to stay ????? . . .

I've written responses to two threads asking that very question recently.

This is the most recent: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=733645

That sounds like a great tour and really neat places to see that most cruisers never think of. Crazy ??? but why wouldn't the taxi driver let you spend more time? Could I ask for a 3 hour tour you think? How do you find a driver willing to take you around like this? I'm like you tho, I don't really want him taking me to tourist places he is getting a kickback on.

That sounds like a great tour and really neat places to see that most cruisers never think of. Crazy ??? but why wouldn't the taxi driver let you spend more time? Could I ask for a 3 hour tour you think? How do you find a driver willing to take you around like this? I'm like you tho, I don't really want him taking me to tourist places he is getting a kickback on.

We could have spent more time, but that was the ONE port we decided to go to the beach so my 5-yr old could play. I would have felt guilty if we hadn't gone. So the two hour tour plus the three hours at the beach, then about 45 minutes shopping (hubby wanted to shop; I hate shopping). That was pretty much our day with not much time to spare to tender back to the ship.

Debbie, did you pay a fee at Paradise Beach to use the pool? Did you rent chairs and/or umbrella?

We'll be there soon.

Kathy

Paradise Beach doesn't have a pool. The pool is right next door at San Francisco Beach. No cost to swim in the pool. I think they want you to eat/drink there, & we did have a couple of drinks, but there weren't a lot of staff around the pool. I think it's the same for the chairs/umbrellas at PB.

I've written responses to two threads asking that very question recently.

This is the most recent: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=733645

THANKS!!!! I hadn't looked for threads yet. Just really started thinking about doing a vacation there. I'll definitely check out the 2 non-AI hotels. Do you rent a car or just use cabs when you need them?

THANKS!!!! I hadn't looked for threads yet. Just really started thinking about doing a vacation there. I'll definitely check out the 2 non-AI hotels. Do you rent a car or just use cabs when you need them?

Our first week there we rented a car for only a couple of days because we were staying at Fiesta Americana and doing the AI thing.

The second trip to Cozumel we rented a car for the week although it probably wasn't really necessary for the whole time we were there. I just liked being able to explore at my own pace in the afternoon/evenings. DW used the car during the day when I was diving to take the kids places.

:D Bruce, Beautiful pictures........

nasvhillecruise I have a couple of questions....

Did you prearrange a taxi or just ask around once you got to Coz?

What did he charge?

I don't want to get left on the other side of Coz...:(

What was your timeline? You sightseed on the other side, went to Coconuts, PB and shopping....I read that Coconuts doesn't open until 11....

:D Bruce, Beautiful pictures........

nasvhillecruise I have a couple of questions....

Did you prearrange a taxi or just ask around once you got to Coz?

What did he charge?

I don't want to get left on the other side of Coz...:(

What was your timeline? You sightseed on the other side, went to Coconuts, PB and shopping....I read that Coconuts doesn't open until 11....

We did NOT prearrange a taxi. Right when you get off the tender, there was a taxi stop lined with taxis. We were luck of the draw as far as drivers go, but ours was sufficient. He spoke English well & stopped wherever we asked. We paid too much after reading the boards ($80 total for 3 of us for about 2 hours). I really don't think you have to worry too much about the driver leaving you. Ours had no problem stopping & staying as long as we wanted anywhere we went. You don't pay until the end, so if they leave you, they don't get paid.

Coconuts does NOT open until 11. We were there before it opened & got to enjoy the GORGEOUS view, but not the food/drinks.

Archived