Average Age of Regent Passenger?

Iamboatman

On my October Regent Voyager cruise, the officers were on and told us the average age was 54. On Silversea, the average age is 60. I haven't seen that many wheelchairs on Regent. There are a couple and a few canes. Even on one of our Silversea cruises where there were tons of scooters, we were not bothered, and everyone of all ages enjoyed each other.

"...but there is a point where if the whole ship was filled up with wheel chairs that would be a little over the top."

Steve - I would agree with the statement you made (quoted above).

However, from our experience on Regent, it would be preposterous to state that there would ever be "a bunch of wheelchairs" on a cruise. In our seven cruises on Regent over the last five years, we have noted that the demographic is certainly older on some cruises (e.g. the Baltics cruise on Voyager) than on others (e.g. the Paul Gauguin in French Polynesia). But there were not loads of wheelchairs or walkers on any Regent cruise we've taken. Perhaps we have had an uncharacteristic experience; but I doubt that is so.

We can't remember seeing more than one or two wheelchairs on any of our cruises. (And in one of those instances, the wheelchair-bound passenger was a young woman with her foot in a cast - not exactly geriatric.)

A further note on age - as Boatman noted, much is related to the mental and physical activity level of the passengers, irrespective of their median chronological age. On our Antarctica cruise last year on the Hanseatic (not a Regent ship but a wonderful ship and fantastic cruise experience), a chap who hiked several hundred meters up the snow bank at Paradise Bay and then did the ceremonial slide down the bank just before I did had celebrated his 92nd birthday two days before.

Have a grand time on the Asia cruise. That's on our to-do list.

Cheers, Fred

With all our discussion about age I thought you all might enjoy reading the article in today's San Diego Union Tribune about a guy who at @ 89 years old just set a record (44 minutes for a 20k cyling race). It's not strictly about age, but capabilities; this 89 year old can cycle faster and longer than 90% of people under age 50!

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20080412/news_1n12shields.html

Archived