Coastal Renaissance.

• 1 month later...

We saw the Albert J. Savoie aka the R.J. Breadner out in front of us the other day. She had a crane on her forward deck a was going by at great haste. I guess trying to catch a slack slack tide in the Skookumchuck.

The commuter ferry out of Gibsons was in the local paper recently, the partners have been warring and one has had to be bought out. They are having a big problem negotiating a dock deal with the Gibsons' Harbour Commission. The other issue that has been overlooked but has now come to light is where are all these nice commuter passengers going to park their cars in lower Gibsons?.....stay tuned this thing may end up running from Ioco.

I haven't seen or read anything yet but the new Island Sky should arrive on station to ply the Earls Cove Saltery Bay route in the next few weeks. Otherwise unrealiable sources tell me that that she has a permanent list....she don't float straight. We will see.

Last but not least, jazz fans, the Pender Harbour Jazz Festival which is always a lot of fun begins 9/19(and just when we thought we were done with the tourists).;)

www.penderharbourmusic.ca/jazz/

" Otherwise unrealiable sources tell me that that she has a permanent list....she don't float straight. We will see."

She was built locally wasn't she.

Hey it's us tourists that keeps the economy going in some of these retirement communities - isn't it.

What a great spell of good weather we are having and it is forecast to be even warmer on the weekend.

Cheers

Dennis

Yes the Island Sky was built locally and it now about 8 months or so late in being delivered.

Tourists are certainly an important part of the economy up here but are a bit like having company, it is always nice to see them but it is also nice when they leave. The sirens stop, the lines in the grocery stores shorten and we get our narrow little highway back.

The PH Jazz Festival is the season's last hurrah and they really do a great job.

"Yes the Island Sky was built locally and it now about 8 months or so late in being delivered"

And the three foreign - ie German built ships arrived on time and on budget - who would have thought that the way the local ship building industry was talking - if a smaller ship is such a problem to complete on time I wonder how late the big ships would have been.

We now return to our regular program of cruising news and more cruising news.

I am the Urban Trekker and I endorse this message.

Cheers

Dennis

Yes it is a real tragedy, growing up in North Van many of my friends fathers worked in Burrard Dry Dock and were proud of if. A few of my friends went to work there, now Vancouver Shipyard and have managed now to retire...but just. I guess there is a niche market for our yards but I not certain what it is.:mad:

"Yes the Island Sky was built locally and it now about 8 months or so late in being delivered"

And the three foreign - ie German built ships arrived on time and on budget - who would have thought that the way the local ship building industry was talking - if a smaller ship is such a problem to complete on time I wonder how late the big ships would have been.

Actually you have no idea if the three German built ships were on budget as the books for BC Ferries are now obscured as they'd made it a pseudo private company, and no longer open to public scrutiny via FOI.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the S-class (Spirit) ferries were built here in BC, and that pretty much every BC built ferry has lasted twice as long in service as every European built ferry; but hey that's only past history.

The BC govt screwed the BC ship building industry. For years, MPs have been trying to get navy ship building in BC so rather than the provincial government do something like make better apprenticeship programs, they gutted trades education, sent hundreds of millions of $ to germany and announced to Ottawa "Don't bother -- even we dont buy from here"

Yes I'm an ex-BC govt employee who's job was outsourced to Alberta

Scott - don't want to get into a political debate but the three ferries were built on a fixed priced contract.

I would be curious to see a link that European built ships don't last as long as Canadian built ships - aren't most of the cruise ships that we frequently sail on built in Europe - actually doesn't the shipyard that built our three new ferries also built cruise ships.

That will be all on that subject

Have a good evening everyone

Cheers

Dennis

Here is a link to BC Ferries current Annual Report, on page 50 the cost of the Super C's is set out and discussed. Granted this is pretty broad brush stuff but the ship building industry would be all over this if it were to far askew; they would like nothing better than to embarrass BCF over their decision.

Your are correct of course the Spirit ships were built in BC and are very fine ships but only time will tell if they will out last anything built in Europe.

I am not sure that I share you view re the screwing of the ship building industry. The industry had every chance to prove what they could do with the Island Sky and they have dropped the ball big time. As a person and a tax payer who lives in a ferry dependent community I want the biggest and best bang for my buck. The ship builders in this province have to compete in a world economy and it would seem that the senior management and board of directors have made a good business decision.

Having said all that, I am very sad to see the decline of ship building in this province just as I hate to see raw logs being exported or our pulp mills being dismantled and moved to other parts of the world.

http://www.bcferries.com/files/AboutBCF/AR/200708_AnnualReport.pdf

This is from the report in regards to the new Island Sky

"Although the contract provides for delivery of this vessel by April 7, 2008, we have been informed by the shipyard that their revised estimate of

the delivery date is June 27, 2008."

PD - has the ferry been deliver to BC Ferries yet and if so are they doing any trial runs?

Great weather for the golf course, bike riding, cruising or whatever.

Have a great weekend

Cheers

Dennis

I recall seeing the S Class ships being put together on River Road in Delta. I recall they brought "Pieces" from elsewhere (off shore I think) and put them together and then finished them off right there on the side of the road. That yard is presently being used to manufacture "Floating cement" homes/barges/buildings. Some of which are quite impressive but of course no where near what used to go on in North Van.

Times change and money talks and without getting in to the politics of Union pricing too much, fear that the cause of a lot of the outsourcing was just that. Unions. A little common sense on both sides of that issue back in the day could have gone a long way to maintaining a lot of jobs in Canada. But here in BC we seem to rocket back and forth so far either way that it hurts over time. Kinda looks like we might be getting ready to lite a rocket once again.

Think I'll go to Whistler over Halloween and tell a certain party to shape up. :D

Scott - don't want to get into a political debate but the three ferries were built on a fixed priced contract.

Exactly my point. You were told it was a fixed priced contract, you can't FOI to confirm that, or find out exactly how much was paid and to whom (was there a friendly broker along the lines of Karl Heinz Schrieber?), or even what the competing bids from BC shipyards were. Even if it's all above board, was it the cheapest fixed price contract?

Interesting to note that BC Ferries used the German shipyard, ASSUMING they'd be able to skip out on the normal 25% Canadian duty paid to import a vessel. Had they been a real private company, it's doubtful they would have been able to do so.

I would be curious to see a link that European built ships don't last as long as Canadian built ships - aren't most of the cruise ships that we frequently sail on built in Europe - actually doesn't the shipyard that built our three new ferries also built cruise ships.

Queen of Chilliwack (Norway) is a pretty good example. At the end of useful life at 25-30 yrs old. The Queen of Saanich on the other hand was launched in 1963 and still plies the waters of Route 1. QoTsawassen which does the gulf islands is even older.

This is from the report in regards to the new Island Sky

"Although the contract provides for delivery of this vessel by April 7, 2008, we have been informed by the shipyard that their revised estimate of

the delivery date is June 27, 2008."

PD - has the ferry been deliver to BC Ferries yet and if so are they doing any trial runs?

Great weather for the golf course, bike riding, cruising or whatever.

It is my understanding that they have had it for sea trials which it didn't pass and has been back to the yard for various fixes and don't expect that it will go into service in October.

Yes, the weather is great, just back from golf and will play again on Sunday.

Have a good one.

Queen of Chilliwack (Norway) is a pretty good example. At the end of useful life at 25-30 yrs old. The Queen of Saanich on the other hand was launched in 1963 and still plies the waters of Route 1. QoTsawassen which does the gulf islands is even older.

The Queen of Chilliwack was built and delivered in 1978 so is now 30 years old. To my knowledge there is not a plan to retire her or that she is at the end of usefull life. It is my understanding that she will be just re-deployed after the arrival of the Island Sky. I was on the 'Wack this January and as near as I can see she is in good shape. I understand that with the way her bow ramp works that she was not designed for open waters and that is why she is on the Earls Cove/Saltery Bay route druing the winter then does the northern milk run in the late spring and early summer when seas are calmer. The only issue that I have with her is that she has Z-drive proplusion much like on modern tugs and she rattles and shakes like heck. I also believe that she will be brought back for the northern milk run in the late spring per the norm.

In the spring of next year the Northern Expidition which is currently being built in, wait for it, Germany, will arrive and replace the 42 year old Queen of Prince Rupert and while I don't know this for certain but I believe the QPR will be taken out of the fleet at that time.

The ships that have or will have left the fleet this year are the Tsawwassen, Esquimalt, Saanich and Vancouver all of which are in their late 40's.

LeftcoastBC - you don't by chance happen to post on babble.ca - your leanings are close to someone over there who has a similar handle.

PD - hope you had a good golf game - I did a short hike out at Campbell River Regional Park in Langley.

Doesn't BC Ferries have plans for a third new Northern Ferry - if so wouldn't that then make the Chilliwack unnecessary.

Was the Chilliwack a new ferry when it entered service here or was it purchased from a European ferry fleet.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Cheers

Dennis

In looking at the specifications for the new Island Sky it says it can handle 600 passengers yet it only shows seating for 540 - are they expecting some people to stay in their cars?

Here's a link to the document that I am referring to.

http://www.bcferries.com/files/AboutBCF/newbuild/07-081BCFIntroducesIslandSky.pdf

Cheers

Dennis

Yes, I would expect that the Island Sky because of its open deck will have a lot of people stay in their cars. You see this a lot on the Langdale route, DW for instance hardly every gets out of the car and naps. The IS will also have deck seating for 125 pax which will be somewhat used in the summer when they might get close to having 600 pax aboard. I have been told that the IS has now been fitted out to receive an overhead walkway which is raising speculation that she could be deployed on the Bowen Is. route. However I would rather think that would be when the Queen of Capilano is in the yard and once again the "Wack would be required for Earls Cove. Isn't it fun palying Admiral of the Fleet.

Evidently the IS problems may be bigger than the list, she doesn't steer straight either.

BCF may have plans for another northern ship in the New Build Plans but I don't know of it. Something will have to do the milk route and I am told that it will be the 'Wack.

If you asked me is there to be a second ship like the IS, I would have said yes but I don't see any mention of it at the present time. I think in time we may see 2 smaller ships on the Powell River/Comox route but that is probably some years off and would likely require new vessels with closed bows.

Yesterday I biked over the Lions Gate Bridge and into Lonsdale Quay - didn't notice any new ships at Vancouver Shipyards or is the new ferry in Victoria - also spent some time walking along the new waterfront walkway at the foot of Lonsdale and in reading the history of the shipbuilding industry I had forgetten that the Wallace family's role in that history and it brought back some personal memories - Clarance Wallace as well as being a former LG was also an Hon Colonel for the BC Regiment where my father had an association - when my father passed away I received an memorial note from the Colonel which I still have - another member of the Wallace family - Dick was a long time member of the Y which is where I knew him from.

PD - the HMCS Regina was paying a visit and was docked at the Quay yesterday.

That's all for now

Cheers

Dennis

Yes, I remember, Col, the Hon, Clarence Wallace very well. I can remember one meeting I had with him in his office. I swear the his desk and and chair set on a platform and he looked down on you from onhigh, however I did achive what i wanted from that meeting. That said I did meet him on a number of other ocassions away from his office and I found him to be a very charming man. He lived not far from you in a condo where Beach and Pacific come together.

Where Lonsdale Quay is and the Seabus comes in was part of Pacific Dry Dock and as I recall the Wallaces owned that as well. As a cadet we used used to keep some boats there as well as a boat shed. I can still remember the ways being there which would have been just below where the 6 Plex Cinema is on Esplanade.

A portion of what was Burrard DD will become the new maritime museum.

I have no idea where the Island Sky is, she could be in the Victoria yard or at BCF's own facility in Richmond.

LeftcoastBC - you don't by chance happen to post on babble.ca - your leanings are close to someone over there who has a similar handle.

Cheers

Dennis

Dennis I try not to lean....... ever..... and although I do tend to babble I do not post there at all. My handle here is strictly geographic. But I suppose that's fairly obvious also. :D

and I do believe you are correct on the "Wack" being from elsewhere. I seem to recall that when our Municipal Politicians went to the naming (?)/christening (?) (some photo op or other a while ago) that that was mentioned.

"A portion of what was Burrard DD will become the new maritime museum'

Yes all it needs is some federal money - the province is onside - Perhaps Harper can do a photo op and announce some money to complete the project - after all it is in a riding that they are trying hard to win.

Cheers

Dennis

Yes all it needs is some federal money - the province is onside - Perhaps Harper can do a photo op and announce some money to complete the project - after all it is in a riding that they are trying hard to win.

Now would that be the same as blacktop politics?:rolleyes:

Archived