Plus size bathing suit question

JoKen1

My granddaughters swim suit arrived from Just My Size........It fit PERFECT!!:D

She looks absolutely gorgeous.....it was perfect to the size stated...she preferred the tankini and skirt.......it makes her look sooooo tall & slim...

Of course after grandma's gushing & fussing about how beatiful she looks......she felt beautiful.............but of course....She is!!

Ok ladies, I need help and your honest opinion. I'm going to be going to cruise to the Mexican Riviera and then another cruise to the Caribbean.

As everyone knows a lot of the fun there is the beaches. My problem though is I have not been in a bathing suit in public for about 15 years now.

I have big saddle thighs even for a big girl. Well I'm not big I'm down right fat. I hate to admit it but I'm a size 22!

Anyway, I went today and tried on some swimsuits just to see what they looked like. For the first time in my life I tried on those one piece suits that have a little skirt to them. They covered my saddle thighs just fine. But I don't know about them. They almost look like a short dress.

My question is do any of you wear those? Do you think they look silly? Should I just skip it and stay out of the water?

If you saw a big fat girl in one of those on your cruise would laugh at her?

I know I shouldn't care what others think and since I'm going solo on this trip I kinda figure I could be a bit braver as I won't know anyone. I also think that maybe after the first look people would laugh a bit or crack a joke and then forget about it.

I would really like to go in the water and go horse back riding where they go in the water but I'm just not sure if I should or not.

What do you think?

I read something about board shorts but I don't know what they are. Do you swim in those? Maybe that would be better???

Thanks for your advice and please be honest. It won't hurt my feelings.

Let me just say I know 100% I would NOT wear a bathing suit if anyone I knew was going to be around me.

I am a big girl (size 18) and I have the bathing suit with a skirt, I love it, there are a lot of nice looking ones out there, and who cares what someone else thinks

Ok girls, I thought I would share what I just did. I got in my bathing suit and stood in front of a mirror. Then I took pictures of the front and back of me. I let them sit awhile, changed my clothes then put them up on the computer. Yes I look big but I didn't look 1/2 as bad as what I thought I did. I have no problems putting the suit on in public any more.

Heck, I look big in clothes. I am big. So I can't hide that fact but we often see ourselves as much worse then what we are.

When I took the photos I made sure I cut my head off so I was just looking at the body. I thought if I saw someone like that on the beach I would think they were overweight but I wouldn't be grossed out by them. Then I thought about it............hey, that's me I'm talking about!

So give it a try. You too may be surprised at how you look. It most likely isn't as bad as you thought it was.

My granddaughters swim suit arrived from Just My Size........It fit PERFECT!!:D

She looks absolutely gorgeous.....it was perfect to the size stated...she preferred the tankini and skirt.......it makes her look sooooo tall & slim...

Of course after grandma's gushing & fussing about how beatiful she looks......she felt beautiful.............but of course....She is!!

What a wonderful grandmother you are to gush and tell her how beautiful she is. If more families did that to their younger kids maybe we wouldn't grow up with such low self images of our self.

Thanks....I try so hard....I was a big kid in school, my sister was the tall skinny one.......yeah....and she still is....and I'm still the "cheerful one"...yeah right....I'm sure anyone reading this thread has heard that phrase...

I have to ask, JoKen.....exactly what size suit are you??? Don't have to tell if you don't want to.... Like I would love to get into a 16.....but I am now beyond that....like way beyond...I want to see the pictures....let us be the judge.....I bet you will be totally surprised!!

OH OH OH OH.........DH & I went yard*saleing....(sp?) today. Is that a word? I found large size clothes....extremely expensive, formal night dresses/wraps/capri sets etc.....$1.00 each:eek: Or so I thought...she charged me $1. a set:eek: I thought it was $1. each.....Later I thought I should have gone back and looked more.....DH was rushing me........he went to 3 more houses (it was a community sale).......darn.....he said buy more....I should have!

I am cruising with a bunch of other girls I work with and many of us have opted for the skirted suits....And we are all sizes from a 4 to a 20! And mid-twenties to mid-fifties...They aren't granny suits anymore! I got a really cute one at Catherine's and not only is it cute but I feel good in it and it's comfortable. I understand not wanting to get out in the thick of things feeling like you are undressed, more so when you are a big girl... (I'm an 18-20 myself) But at the end of the day...nobody cares! If you sit out and don't enjoy yourself it hurts nobody but you. You will be AMAZED at the number of people you see that are really large in a two piece. Don't worry about it girl...Go have fun! :)

Hi . . . my name is Tammy and I am fat! Think I went from fluffy to fat about ten years ago when I turned fifty. I was a flight attendant for over twenty years and my uniform was a size 4! Not sure when it happened but . . . for the past ten I've been a size 18W. I can definately relate to everything ya all have been saying. The thought of putting on a bathing suit makes my heart beat faster and I feel faint. But . . . I do it . . . I put on that bathing suit (with cover-ups to be sure) everytime I take a cruise and plan to wear my new bathing suit next month when I cruise to the Western Carribbean.

Speaking of which . . . thank you jlrn (I think) for telling us about Lands End. I just order a new swimsuit, cover-up and two pairs of sandals. My poor checking account is not too happy but I really loved what I saw. Sure hope everything fits! :p

Ok ladies, I need help and your honest opinion. I'm going to be going to cruise to the Mexican Riviera and then another cruise to the Caribbean.

As everyone knows a lot of the fun there is the beaches. My problem though is I have not been in a bathing suit in public for about 15 years now.

I have big saddle thighs even for a big girl. Well I'm not big I'm down right fat. I hate to admit it but I'm a size 22!

Anyway, I went today and tried on some swimsuits just to see what they looked like. For the first time in my life I tried on those one piece suits that have a little skirt to them. They covered my saddle thighs just fine. But I don't know about them. They almost look like a short dress.

My question is do any of you wear those? Do you think they look silly? Should I just skip it and stay out of the water?

I know I shouldn't care what others think and since I'm going solo on this trip I kinda figure I could be a bit braver as I won't know anyone. I also think that maybe after the first look people would laugh a bit or crack a joke and then forget about it.

I would really like to go in the water and go horse back riding where they go in the water but I'm just not sure if I should or not.

What do you think?

I read something about board shorts but I don't know what they are. Do you swim in those? Maybe that would be better???

Let me just say I know 100% I would NOT wear a bathing suit if anyone I knew was going to be around me.

You better get that suit and get in the water! I think the only people who ever joke about a persons size are ill-bred teens and the very immature. There will be people of all sizes and people would look down on anyone stupid enough to make a comment more than on someone being a larger size.

The only time I ever find myself being a judgemental jerk is if I see a woman in something 2 or 3 sizes too small for her, or has enough enough make-up on to star in a clown show, but even then all I do is raise my eyebrow towards my adult daughter or best friends. We share a moment of mind reading and it is over in less than a second.

just received a new suit from Swimsuitsforall, and it took alot of strrrrrretching to get the bottom of the tankini to cover the flabby naval (that flew south permanently many years ago). Apparently there is a tankini top, and a flared tankini top. Fluffy, fat, or down right disgusting (me) is a hard body to pack into a suit. Sizing online is really difficult. I ordered big, and apparently not big enough..... but I'm slapping it on and porking out on the beach as an older lady. I've ordered 3 suits from them last 2 years and ordered them all on the big side, and they've all been smaller than anticipated.

One would be able to hold a radiator belt on in a pinch.

Know someone that has ordered from LandsE, and awaiting their response.

just received a new suit from Swimsuitsforall, and it took alot of strrrrrretching to get the bottom of the tankini to cover the flabby naval (that flew south permanently many years ago). Apparently there is a tankini top, and a flared tankini top. Fluffy, fat, or down right disgusting (me) is a hard body to pack into a suit. Sizing online is really difficult. I ordered big, and apparently not big enough..... but I'm slapping it on and porking out on the beach as an older lady. I've ordered 3 suits from them last 2 years and ordered them all on the big side, and they've all been smaller than anticipated.

One would be able to hold a radiator belt on in a pinch.

Know someone that has ordered from LandsE, and awaiting their response.

I LOVE Lands' End. They are so good about taking things back if they don't fit. Their "size guidelines" page is pretty accurate, so measure yourself before you order. They also have suits for a wide range of body types. I've never ordered swimsuits from them, but I've been very happy with the daywear I've gotten from them.

As for bathing suit sizing, I am normally a size 6, but in bathing suits I wear either an 8 or a 10, depending on the brand. I think they just make them small!

Nobody is disgusting -- it's the CLOTHES that don't fit! Gorgeous people come in ALL sizes. :)

As far as sizing goes,

Joken...

OK, so I just noticed you had a pic as your av....Your not even "big"!!! You go have fun and strut your stuff! And keep it up when you get back home :)

Jenn

Well Jenn I just have to say I love you!!! :D But you have to remember that photo is tiny! I am a chunky monkey and I know it.

My bathing suit is a size 22! I wear a size 1X or size 20 in other clothes. That is big in my eyes. Plus I'm short! Only 5'4" :(

But I decided that if anyone should ever say anything to me I'm just going to look at them and say "Sorry you don't like what you see but I'm dying and so I want to have as much fun in life before I go." I figured that should shut them up. :D Besides, it's the truth! We are all dying one day. ;)

I figure I'm going to be 50 in May and it's time I stopped worrying what others think or say.

I have to admit though, I've been fat my whole life. Even as a little girl and not once do I remember anyone calling me fat or making fun of me.......except my sister when I was little! So I have been very lucky there. I've heard some sad stories from others who are over weight. People can be mean. But really, no one worth caring about would ever be so rude and mean. So who cares what those people say.

Amen sister! We are all dying...so wouldn't it suck to not enjoy the pool and ocean over what some 17 year old idiots think? (some of which WILL be our size in twenty years they just don't know it) Check out those suits at Catherine's. They have a web site. And they run really true to size. Also, believe it or not, I found two really cute suits at Wal-Mart for around $30. I may grab one of them as a back up. When are you cruising? Shame your not going with us...Several big girls who have big fun! :)

One of the best lessons I've learned over the years of buying clothing of ANY type is to simple IGNORE the size written on the tag and buy what fits you and makes you feel wonderful. Sizes vary widely among manufacturers and with the style of the garment- I have things that I love that fit beautifully with size tags ranging from 8 to 16, S-XL.

One of the biggests mistakes we ladies can make is squeezing into the smallest number we can, rather than buying a size that fits smoothly - IMHO a tight garment makes us look larger!

Be willing to try on things - particularly if you buy at outlets or discounters- if you like the style and it looks remotely like it would fit, give it a try. (I suspect that items often make it to the discounters because they are "sized" small or large - people who believe they only wear a certain size pass up a beautiful item because "their" size doesn't fit).

Remember, no one will see what number was on the tag - the "right" size is the one that is most flattering to your unique body.

The way I see it, people are going to be looking at the beach bimbo in the thong, or the large woman in the thong who has no business wearing one. Most people, yourself included, are somewhere in the middle of those two extremes so nobody is going to bother you and it's all in your head.

If it's any consolation, even plus size women wear thongs and bikinis in Brazil, with no shame and honestly, nobody could care less.

You go focus on having fun. If you naturally act self conscious, then you are inadvertanetly going to attract attention. Have fun. Even the beach bimbos are self conscious, I'm sure. :)

What do you think?

Wow this thread has turned into a wonderful upbeat and positive one.

I'm going on my cruise to the Riviera on May 11th and to the Caribbean on Dec 13th. If anyone wants to go I would be proud to be on the same ship as you and we can put our suits on a walk with our heads up high.

Heck I'm feeling so good I think I'm going to put my suit on and walk all around the ship. Maybe I'll see a show in my suit and even go to formal night in it. I can put jewelry on and high hills. :D :D

Ok maybe I'm not feeling that good! But I do feel so much better and I will be sure to read this thread again just before I leave.

I am going to have so much more fun now thanks to you guys!

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok Ya'll, I'm a fashion consultant for a dept. store in town. I put on style shows several times a year. When I have a shows, I look for real people in all sizes, we are all not 5'9 and a size 4. There are some really great updated clothing in womens sizes. I second the "You go girl" Just stand tall and look confident. I think no matter what size you are, from a 6 to a 24 we are all self conscience about our flaws ( we all have them!). We are all not perfect, who is? Enjoy your Cruise. Bon Voyage.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one dreading this. I'm heading out tomorrow for a swimsuit for my cruise next Monday...yes I waited until the last possible minute. I'm going to try to find the bathing suit with the short bottoms. I was out this weekend and saw some thinner girls wearing them. They seem to be in style.

What really annoys me...is do you think any of our husbands are worried about their bathing suits??? GGRRR :)

My bathing suit is a size 22! I wear a size 1X or size 20 in other clothes. That is big in my eyes. Plus I'm short! Only 5'4" :(

I figure I'm going to be 50 in May and it's time I stopped worrying what others think or say.

I have to admit though, I've been fat my whole life. Even as a little girl and not once do I remember anyone calling me fat or making fun of me.......except my sister when I was little! So I have been very lucky there. I've heard some sad stories from others who are over weight. People can be mean. But really, no one worth caring about would ever be so rude and mean. So who cares what those people say.

I could have written this! Only difference is that I will be 51 in July. I even have a sister that is 5'4" and 80 lbs. I have had a roller coaster of ups and downs. Mostly ups. I finally said enough and just lost twenty pounds. Still have quite a ways to go but I'm finally ready to lose weight.

Denise

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one dreading this. I'm heading out tomorrow for a swimsuit for my cruise next Monday...yes I waited until the last possible minute. I'm going to try to find the bathing suit with the short bottoms. I was out this weekend and saw some thinner girls wearing them. They seem to be in style.

What really annoys me...is do you think any of our husbands are worried about their bathing suits??? GGRRR :)

OK...that was NOT fun. I must have tried on 20 suits today and finally settled for a...just ok suit. But I wanted to thank the original OP for this thread, because I thought of it as I tried on my suits. I thought of the posters who all commented not to worry about it and just to have fun. And that is what I intend to do. My problem is the last time I cruised I weighed about 40 lbs less. And picking out clothes was fun...now it is just a challenge. But something tells me...my larger size will have no effect on the fun I'm going to have!

Good to you for losing the weight! I hope you get to the weight that will make you happy and stay there! I'm sure you will.

Yeah for buying the bathing suit!

I would love for us all to post our photos of us in our suits. We don't have to put our heads in the photo.

What do you guys think? Anyone brave enough?

I was going to post mine right now but my battery is dead :( so I have it charging and I can do it tomorrow.

Come everyone! We CAN do this! I really doubt ANYONE here will look worse then me and if I'm willing I think you should be too.:D

If we can't put our suits on in front of each other here then how the heck are we going to do it on our cruise?

We can just leave the photo up for a day and then take it down if we want.....can't we?

i have not read all the responses, but i saw your post come up on the forums front page and i wanted to give you my response - you go girl!! i am a big girl and i have the type of suit you are talking about - black skirt with a black and purple tank top - i love it. very comfy and flattering - i made up my mind on our next cruise not to deny myself any fun experiences just because i am larger. i am normally VERY self conscious, and sadly i have been made fun of by strangers before which has made it much worse, but if i miss out on fun because of some small minded loud mouth - they win. get your suit and have a blast in the water!! :D

Good for you! How rude and simple minded those people were that said anything to you. How dare them! Who do they think they are.

There are stupid people everywhere in this world and yet they are only a small group. In all likely hood you will never see them again anyway so who cares what they think or say.

I wonder if it is those type of people who end up "missing" or going "overboard" when on the ships. It should be :D

Anyway, you have fun. You only live once and you will never regret having a fun time!

Archived