Tornado in Atlanta...flights cancelled

tcha

A friend of mine sat at the airport all day in Newport News VA waiting for a flight to Atlanta. She finally went home..all the flights here were canceled for the day. Anyone know what the situation will be tomorrow and the next few days?

A friend of mine sat at the airport all day in Newport News VA waiting for a flight to Atlanta. She finally went home..all the flights here were canceled for the day. Anyone know what the situation will be tomorrow and the next few days?

The storms moved out yesterday (Saturday). Today should be a beautiful day in Atlanta. I don't know how long it will take to get the flights back on schedule and clear the back log of passengers.

Hi

My DD was in Rio de Janiero with her school trip and they landed in Atlanta yesterday (Sat. morning) after the tornado. They had a 7 hr layover and had a 4 hour city tour planned and they even went ahead with that. They saw first hand some of the damage.

The were supposed to fly out of Atlanta at 3:30 to Toronto, but were delayed until 5:00 pm. While sitting on the tarmac my DD said they could see a funnel cloud and it was black out. They waited until it moved out of the area and then flew to Toronto. The only ended up an hour and a half late. I don't know if they were lucky to land at all and then take off again on Sat. but they made it.

Tara

The storms moved out yesterday (Saturday). Today should be a beautiful day in Atlanta. I don't know how long it will take to get the flights back on schedule and clear the back log of passengers.

We flew home today from Atlanta (Sunday) and there was alot of people that had been at the airport for 24 hours:eek: . Many on standby just trying to get home. I think everything will be fine by tomorrow at the latest.

Jan

I lived in Atlanta for several years. It was so strange to see the aftermath of a tornado in a city. It is a blessing that there were not many injuries or deaths. So sorry for those injured and those who lost homes. The pictures remind me of our area after hurricane Isabel. So glad your daughter made the flight home safely. How terrifying to see a funnel cloud while waiting for takeoff!

we were some of those people stuck cos the planes were grounded in and out of Atlanta! Well we flew from Miami 2 hours late and when we got to Atlanta to catch our connecting flight to Manchester in the UK it had gone!!! Atlanta was full of people who'd missed flights. Because we were gonig to the UK we could only fly out 24hrs later! We had 2 options stay in the airport for 24hrs or get a hotel (at our own expence). So we pretty hacked off and chose the hotel option. When I checked our new tickets later, after I'd calmed down a bit, we'd only been upgraded to BUSINESS CLASS, wow. It was worth waiting for the 24hrs! But when we got back to Manchester no luggage!! Quite an experience.

Archived