15 Day trip to Egypt - the travel notes, by Seafun

seafun

I would prefer sandals, but did you find the sand to be a pain in open shoes? quote]

I didn't have any problem. It depends on how much you walk in sandals and how "tough" your feet are. On some of our days we were on our feet all day with lots of walking on uneven ground. The only real deep sand was at Saqqara and Giza. I think I only wore tennis shoes 2 days out of 14. Next trip I won't even take them.

I had read the mixed reviews but I believe I travel like you...pack a good attitude and be not only flexible, but fluid. Laugh about it and have fun! I'll share my travel and life motto with you. I learned this from a martial arts instructor in England. (while having lunch with his Anglican priest brothers' family on Mothering Day) Itchigo-Ichie It is a saying used in Japanese tea ceremonies and it means One life-One chance, One Moment-One Opportunity I looked up the Japanese writing of it and now, very simplistically, paint it on rice paper, frame it, and give it to friends. BTW, someone should be paying you for all of your efforts, you go so beyond being simply helpful!

**laughing to himself** I was in a stressful situation the other day, and for the life of me I couldn't remember the words in the right order... "one life one chance, one opprtunity one choice??"

Anyway, it kept my mind occupied so I didn't get as upset as I would have, so thanks! :)

And for those that might not have it figured out, Ramadan this year is September 1st - 30th. I'll be interested to hear how it affects people's journeys to Egypt during that time.

And for those that might not have it figured out, Ramadan this year is September 1st - 30th. I'll be interested to hear how it affects people's journeys to Egypt during that time.

I will definitely let you know it affects us. I am more concerned about the blistering heat. I know it will affect us. :D

MVP, I hope the heat isn't too much of a distraction, but I'll bet you survive it just fine. What's a little sweating here and there when you have so many treasures laid out before you!?!?!

Say, I know I've mentioned it before, but if anyone missed it, I also post on another board (trip advisor) and we've had quite a thread on the Gate 1 trips there that might interest some of you. It's another long thread, but that doesn't seem to bother those of us enthralled with a subject, lol.

And on the last page (31, I think) there's some good suggestions for shopping...

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294200-i9124-k1624311-Gate_1_travel_s_15_day_Egypt_with_Red_Sea-Egypt.html

Dry heat, my foot. I remember being in 115 degree heat in CA many years ago and it was very dry. I thought I was in a convection oven.:eek: I will certainly be more focused on the awesome surroundings than the heat. The heat will just be another memory in a few weeks of what should be one of the best adventures of my life.

Thanks for the shopping tips. We do like to shop.

Mike and Carol, Wishing you a spectacular journey of lifetime!

So many wishes I am wishing for you...

I hope that it's not too hot, that you don't get sick even for one minute, that you get locked in the Egyptian Museum for two days, that the camels don't breathe or spit on you, that all your photos turn out perfectly, and that your trip is all that you have dreamed of, and more!!

I guess that pretty well covers it... :)

Come back safe and sound and tell us all about it.

Bon voyage!! :D

Seafun,

Thank you so much for your wonderful wishes. Even if they don't all come to pass, I do know that I will get to spend time in a part of the world that I have wanted to see since visions of pyramids and pharaohs first became known to me as a young boy. I look forward to spending time in this Islamic area of the world to better understand their culture; and see how they live and enjoy life without it being filtered through a media production staff. Plus I can't wait to try authentic Egyptian food.

We were pleasantly surprised last year when we made our first visit to Turkey. We never expected it to be such an awesome and beautiful place with such lovely people. I still can't believe that I will actually be in Egypt in 3 days. It appears that the wish I made over 50 years ago when blowing out my birthday cake candles is actually coming true. :) I am so psyched!

tnsauerkraut,

Thanks for good wishes. Your cruise will be here before you know it. I booked this one 15 months ago and we are leaveing tomorrow for our first leg to Atlanta. I am taking 11 gigs of compact flash cards. Which means that I will have to limit myself to around 500 pics a day. Since I can't take any pics in the museum or in Abu Simbel, I should be OK. I am way too excited about this trip. I just can't believe that I have just two more sunrises untl I am on a plane heading for Cairo. Yippee!!:)

Seafun - thanks for taking the time to write such a great travelogue! :)

Two weeks from today I'll be leaving to do the Egypt & Jordan trip with Tauck. Petra was the main object of my desire for this trip - Egypt is an added bonus. ;)

We will be visiting most of the same sights you did so reading your posts has gotten me very excited. We won't make it to the Red Sea but we do have a couple days the Dead Sea instead. I'm thinking it will be our vacation from our vacation. I expect to be exhausted by the time we get there.

I'm kind of bummed about the Ramadan thing. I'm really surprised that hotels and cruises don't operate on a business as usual basis. I guess I won't be sipping cocktails as we cruise the Nile. :(

I just can't believe that I have just two more sunrises untl I am on a plane heading for Cairo. Yippee!!:)

You must be excited beyond belief. I can't wait until my turn. I hope you post a review when you get back (not that anyone's can match seafuns!).

Have a fantastic trip!!

Thanks for the good wishes DaytonGirl and WeBeGone. I couldn't be more excited. i will be writing a complete review with lots of pictures taht I will post on my review website. With the number of pics I will be taking and this being a very busy time at work, it probably won't be up until mid-October. When it is I will post on this board.

Mike and Carol,

I hope you have a wonderful time on your trip of a lifetime. We can not wait to go!! I will be looking forward to your trip report around mid-October!

DaytonGirl,

Please post a trip report when you return. Tauck is one of the tour companies I am interested in. I know you will have a wonderful time.

micked10

DaytonGirl,

Please post a trip report when you return. Tauck is one of the tour companies I am interested in. I know you will have a wonderful time.

I will. I've found a good bit of positive reviews of Tauck in general but there's a lack of info on their Egypt and/or Jordan trips. Since I've been starved for info I'll try to include anything I might have wanted to know when I do write it.

I have very high hopes. :)

Daytongirl,

Thanks--I will be looking forward to your report. We have been on 2 Tauck tours and loved both of them. I don't think you can go wrong with them. I am torn between Tauck and Maupintours. We have also been on several Maupintours and really liked them too, but I think Tauck is a little more "upscale". The thing I love about the Maupintour trip to Egypt is that it is 16 days and the Nile cruise is on the Oberoi Philae, which I really want to be on. The thing I love about Tauck is that they stay at the Four Seasons in Cairo. Decisions, decisions!!!

When do you travel to Egypt??

micked10

micked -- I'd opt for the better boat! :D The Oberoi Philae is supposed to be great.

(This coming from someone who went on the "bargain boat," lol.)

And a note for everyone... Each and every report is wonderful and valuable and will be read with enjoyment by all of us.

You don't have to be a great writer, or feel obligated to write everything down (like someone I know very well...:rolleyes: )

Each person's observations add more to our knowledge, and our ability to personalize our trips to see the things that interest us most.

Years ago my Mom, who is an excellent cook and fabulous dinner party thrower, mentioned to me, somewhat wistfully, that many of her friends felt nervous inviting her to dinner because they felt she was such a good cook, and might not "approve" of their cooking.

She said something to me that I have always remembered. "Sometimes I get tired of my own cooking -- I LOVE to eat other peoples' cooking, and there's rarely a meal produced that is inedible. Besides, we talk and laugh and learn from each other."

And that's my view on these trip reports... I LOVE reading other peoples' reports. They don't have to be perfect, or spelled right, or sound like a travel writer. There's something wonderful and new and useful in each and every one of them. :)

So-- GO, take those trips! Then get your butts back here and tell us all about it!! :D

MIke said something about not being able to take pictures at ABU SImbel....Did I read that before and overlook it, or is this new to me? SeaFun?

You are allowed to take photos OUTSIDE, but NOT inside. The guards were very insistant that no photos be taken inside. There are wonderful packs of postcards that show the inside.

Just got back from Hatteras on a family vacation. Hanna and thoughts of possible island road washover helped us to decide to come back last Friday instead of Sunday...only to find our basement flooded (5 inches of rain) and our well had gone dry! Go figure! Also we had a new furnace put in while we were gone and the alternator died on our car on the island and had to be replaced. Other than that, we had a delightful time!!!!!! Tomorrow I head out to DC and fly out on Weds. Delta to NY and straight to Cairo-1hr. 40 minutes for changeover in NY. Are the bags going to make it! Sure! I have a travel angel. I will let you know if he is on duty at the Delta gates! Ramadan should be interesting. Guns fired in the sky? Can't have coctails until after sundown???? Say it ain't so!!!! I'll check in when I come back. I have learned so much from all, especially Seafun and I thank each of you for helping me make the most of this wonderful trip! Shopping on Trip Advisor, Seafun?? Haven't checked that site lately but will now!!!! Itchie-Itchigo!