15 Day trip to Egypt - the travel notes, by Seafun

seafun

If you can find them at a decent price, try to take extra (two round pin) adaptors with you.

I managed to drop and lose one of mine behind the dresser where the TV was on the cruise ship (totally unreachable).

Then I loaned my travel steamer to another traveller in my group, and I don't know what he did, but the adaptor came back half-melted. (Think Salvador Dali watches... :rolleyes: )

So take at least two with you, just in case... :)

Seafun, I have just finished reading all your review as we have booked a Nile cruise for January 2009. I am so excited! I very much appreciate your descriptions and tips. Our cruise will be 5 days with a few days in Cairo on each end. We will be on the MS Ruby of Nile Sun Cruises. As I do more research I will frequently be coming back to these posts for more info.

PS When we were in Thailand, a young couple in our group did the delete thing with all their photos mid trip. He actually worked in the IT field and was able to restore all the photos by hooking up to a PC in the hotel and performing some type of function to restore them. I know it is too late to help your cause, but just in case others do the same thing the trick is to not take any further photos on the card and then get the card to someone who knows how to do the restore. It only took him a short time and all their photos were back.

Thanks for your nice feedback on my review. :)

And thanks for bringing up the point about the memory cards sometimes being "back-trackable." Actually, my guide Sam had a program on his laptop that was supposed to do just that, and we tried. But for whatever reasons -- maybe my memory card didn't speak Egyptian, lol -- but it didn't work.

Looking back on it now, I realize that I was in such shock over the incident, that I didn't even think to stop shooting pictures on that card and try to retrieve them once I got home. Duh... Oh well, it will serve as a lesson and reminder to many others.

And your helpful advice is something I forgot to mention in my review. So folks, if the dreaded "unintentional total delete" happens to one of your memory cards -- (ALWAYS take more cards than you think you'll need) -- save it as is until you get home and you may be able to restore those precious photos! Thanks for adding that point to the collective knowledge here!

Best of luck remaining patient and calm as you continue counting down the days until your trip! :D

The "accidental delete" has also happened to me, so now I have purchased enough memory cards that I use a new one each day, so if I do wipe something out, it's never more than one day. It's also a great way to keep great notes on where I've been that day!

Seafun, yesterday was my 45th birthday and I'm sick with the flu and feeling like death warmed over. Then I saw again where you're leaving in less than a month for the sunny skies of the Carribean and at least for a little while, I escaped in my mnd to sandy beaches and balmy waters. Thank goodness for dreams!

• 2 weeks later...

tnsauerkraut, I hope you've survived the flu and are feeling back to normal -- and maybe even got to celebrate that birthday a little.

I just got a homemade DVD from a friend who took the same Gate 1 trip I did, and she put all her "home movies" on a disc for me. What a wonderful treat!! Seeing all the things I saw in "moving pictures!" :p

Which reminded me to suggest to folks to look for the DVD's of Egypt, available in Egypt at various places (Luxor Museum gift shop, the bookstore across the street from the Egyptian Museum in Cairo, and the airports around Egypt -- Luxor, Cairo, even Aswan.)

Some of them were kind of pricy -- in the $30.00 range -- but I'm real glad now that I bought them.

Having those glimpses of "moving pictures" of what you've seen really brings back great memories. :D

Seafun, I am finally getting better. In my most delirious moments (or at least that's what I tell myself), my husband convinced me to let him bring home another puppy - which makes 2 dogs and 1 puppy. I've lost my mind!

I'm with you about the dvds..every time we go to one of our national parks. we purchase one of their dvds..it's great to look back on cold days and see where we had so much fun! We just got back from Montana - if you want to read about our adventures (or misadventures) you can read my blog at www.mariontravels.com/blog

My husband has finally convinced me to do my own web site for all my travels. This is very much a work in progress - I'm just getting started. Once I get some content, I'll be asking you all for your opinions on what I can do better.

Well, I'm off to feed the animals - husband included!

Seafun, et al:

We're off to Rome & the Princess Cruises Holyland Cruise on Monday (Nov 3)....can't wait to go. We've read all of your comments and will apply the knowledge we gained here on our trip.....Thank You.

Also, we booked the Gate 1 tour for April 15th....there will be four of us travelling....anyone else travelling on this date?

We'll be sure to provide a trip report upon our return.

Future Islander

I hope you enjoy your "taste" of Egypt on this cruise -- I'm sure it will fuel your appetite for more, and hopefully tide you over until April. :)

I'm off to the Caribbean the day after you leave (how refreshing, to spend Election Day in the air!) Looking forward to warm sunny days, tropical beaches and lolling about.

But I call it more "Eastern"... The Noordam out of Fort Lauderdale -- to St. Maarten, St. Lucia, Barbados, Martinique, Totola and Half Moon Cay.

And unlike the Egypt tour, there will be NO 2:30 am wake up calls, LOL. :rolleyes:

As we say in the islands........"by the end of October...Hurricane season is over"........you should have great weather.

Right now I'm looking out my window, here in NJ, and we have a hard frost on the ground....brrrrr.

Looking at your ports of call it can be considered "Southern Caribbean".

Well, it's off to packing.....what does one wear on such a voyage this time of year????? (Italy, Egypt, Israel, Turkey & Greece)

F.I.

Future Islander,

Lucky you! We were in Italy last year on a Med. Cruise for our 20th anniversary and it was the best trip of our lives. We would happily move to Italy if we could afford it! Rome was wonderful - wouldn't want tolive there, but to see all that history was incredible! The Amalfi coast has no superlatives to describe it, and Tuscany? I just want to buy a villa there and grow grapes :)

Sea Fun, have a Mai Tai for me on your cruise - I'll be thinking of you!

After I get home from the cruise and wean myself off the Mai Tais, lol. :rolleyes:

You'd think I would have packed by now -- but no such luck -- working every day up to departure. I'll get home from work about 10:00 tonight, then have to be at the airport by 4:30 am tomorrow! :eek::eek:

No rest for the wicked.... :D

• 2 weeks later...
I just found out that the King Tut exhibit is going to be in Atlanta starting in November, and my alma mater (Emory University) is sponsoring a special course in Egyptian history led by a noted professor, leading up to a guided tour of the exhibit.

(Guess who is going to register immediately?:D:D)

Just an update on this. I went last night to a special "sneak preview" cocktail party and walk through the exhibit. It was FANTASTIC. Much better than I expected. It includes much more than the smaller Tut exhibit that was touring a couple of years ago, which I saw in Ft. Lauderdale. There are several large rooms of artifacts from earlier periods to sort of "set the stage" for the Tutankhamun find. A beautiful room full of jewelry, many statues of earler pharaohs, including Akhenaton, Ramses II, and others. There is a very well done audio-tour narrated by Harrison Ford, with commentary also from Dr. Zahi Hawass.

The Tut pieces included one of the beautiful alabaster canopic jars and the incredibly detailed miniature "coffin" that the preserved organs were stored in. They did not have one of the Tut funerary masks, which was probably the only disappointment, but they did have a similar one from one of the later period pharaohs, found at Tanis. The two things I found most exciting (because I hadn't seen them before) were the large statue of Tutankhamun at the very end, from his funerary temple, and also the statue of Senenmut (royal architect and reputedly lover of Hatshepsut) tenderly holding her daughter.

There is also a new 3-D movie, but we spent so long in the exhibit itself that we didn't have time to see it. Nice gift shop too.....picked up a few Christmas presents.

If this exhibit is coming to any place near you and you have ANY interest in Egypt, this is a must see!

Seafun that was wonderful!! I'm leaving in January for Egypt and Jordan and can't wait!! I have one question:

Did you do the light show at Philae? I'm not much into light shows, I like natural stuff but this optional keeps coming up and I'm wondering if anyone else has seen it and could recommend it, or not.

I await your reply (or anyone else that has seen Philae light show).

Just an update on this. I went last night to a special "sneak preview" cocktail party and walk through the exhibit. It was FANTASTIC. Much better than I expected. It includes much more than the smaller Tut exhibit that was touring a couple of years ago, which I saw in Ft. Lauderdale. There are several large rooms of artifacts from earlier periods to sort of "set the stage" for the Tutankhamun find. A beautiful room full of jewelry, many statues of earler pharaohs, including Akhenaton, Ramses II, and others. There is a very well done audio-tour narrated by Harrison Ford, with commentary also from Dr. Zahi Hawass.

The Tut pieces included one of the beautiful alabaster canopic jars and the incredibly detailed miniature "coffin" that the preserved organs were stored in. They did not have one of the Tut funerary masks, which was probably the only disappointment, but they did have a similar one from one of the later period pharaohs, found at Tanis. The two things I found most exciting (because I hadn't seen them before) were the large statue of Tutankhamun at the very end, from his funerary temple, and also the statue of Senenmut (royal architect and reputedly lover of Hatshepsut) tenderly holding her daughter.

There is also a new 3-D movie, but we spent so long in the exhibit itself that we didn't have time to see it. Nice gift shop too.....picked up a few Christmas presents.

If this exhibit is coming to any place near you and you have ANY interest in Egypt, this is a must see!

I saw this exhibit in New York City about 10 years ago and it left me breathless!!! it's definitely a must see.

I saw this exhibit in New York City about 10 years ago and it left me breathless!!! it's definitely a must see.

This new exhibit is different from the original that toured in the late 1970s -- it's actually even larger!

I went back and read some more info on the exhibit and found out that they no longer allow the funerary mask of Tutankhamun out of Egypt, so that's why it is not included in this tour.

But then I went back to work today! :eek: (How could they let things pile up without me like that, lol?!?!?)

The cruise was wonderful -- I'm debating about posting a review... It certainly wouldn't be as detailed as the Egypt trip :rolleyes: . We'll see how much time I have in the coming week...

Hydrokitty -- Welcome! As to your questions about the Philae Sound and Light Show -- No, I did not do that one -- I did the one at the Pyramids and saw Luxor temple lit up by night as well (very nice.)

The light shows can be a bit cheesy, but I would still recommend it -- the lighting on the temples brings out beautiful aspects that you don't see during the day. I doubt that you would regret it. I believe the the Philae show is 3 times a night in winter -- maybe 6:00, 7:30 and 9:00?? It is rated better than the S&L show at Karnak, and the key thing to remember is the beautiful temples lit up and not the sometimes melodramatic soundtrack and narration. (Great photo opportunities!!)

If it's the only light show you'll have access to, then definitely do it! Last price check I did on it was LE55 -- about $11.00.

Edited by seafun

Seafun that was wonderful!! I'm leaving in January for Egypt and Jordan and can't wait!! I have one question:

Did you do the light show at Philae? I'm not much into light shows, I like natural stuff but this optional keeps coming up and I'm wondering if anyone else has seen it and could recommend it, or not.

I await your reply (or anyone else that has seen Philae light show).

We went to both the Pyramid and the Philae night shows. The one at Philae was really great I thought. You actually walk through and around the temple while parts of it are lit and the narration is on. Finally for the last 15 minutes you sit and listen to the finale. Philae is so beautiful that I really encorage you to try to attend the night show.

Edited by WeBeGone

We went to both the Pyramid and the Philae night shows. The one at Philae was really great I thought. You actually walk through and around the temple while parts of it are lit and the narration is on. Finally for the last 15 minutes you sit and listen to the finale. Philae is so beautiful that I really encorage you to try to attend the night show.

Webegone thank you.....I will sign up for this tonight based on what you've said.

Seafun, thanks again for a wonderful trip review. I can't wait to go.

Cruisemom42: No, I didn't know they weren't touring the funerary mask, but I will get to see it again at the Cairo museum.... it was one of the most memorable exhibits I've ever seen and as I recall I stood on line for about 12 hours to get the tickets! Worth every second. Only other exhibit that even came close was the Faberge eggs at MOMA.