Misty Fjords floatplane

kellig

Has anyone done one of the float plane trips to Misty Fjords out of Ketchikan? I am having a hard time deciding between the trips that fly in and out or fly in and boat out which costs $70 more (total $320). I wondered if only 20 minutes of the flight time is enough to see some of the sights from the air on the boat inclusive option, but the ability to see wildlife from the boat would be better. Any advice or thoughts is appreciated

We did the float plane with Island Wings. She lands on a lake in the middle of nowhere, and you get out on shore where you can soak up the unbelievable surroundings. It is an awesome adventure that I highly recommend booking independently!! I think you'll have a better boat trip out of Juneau.

We took the float plane trip to Misty Fjords form Ketchikan with Taquan Air. We landed in the middle of a lake and climbed out onto the wings. The whole experience was breathtaking.

If you want a glimpse of what we saw take a look at our Alaska album 2 on webshots - link is in our signature.

Isabel

Has anyone done one of the float plane trips to Misty Fjords out of Ketchikan? I am having a hard time deciding between the trips that fly in and out or fly in and boat out which costs $70 more (total $320). I wondered if only 20 minutes of the flight time is enough to see some of the sights from the air on the boat inclusive option, but the ability to see wildlife from the boat would be better. Any advice or thoughts is appreciated

If so, you might want to consider the combination sail/fly tour. We took it in July. The area lived up to its name - misty to rainy and chilly. Still, the sighting of a female humpback whale and her calf was a sight we would probably not have seen from the air. That alone made the choice worthwhile.

I guess it just depends on which boat tour you take. The one from Allen Marine seemed to zip along at a good speed. The three boat trips I took with Alaska Cruises we saw quite a bit of wildlife. The Captain and guides on the boat were constantly on the look out. On two of the trips they slowed down and gave us plenty of time for viewing and photographing bears they had spotted on the shore. From the air you also miss the closeups of things like

New Eddystone Rock. Fly out oneway and take the boat back the other.

eddystone.jpg

I saw that Island Wings also has a tour that includes flying in and out with a 2.5 hour hike. Down side is that the price is 200 more per person than just the flight with lake landing. What other companies have you all used?

Has anyone done the fjord plus glacier tour...we are thinking of this option, even though we are also planning a glacier helicopter tour in Juneau...want to have 2 possibilities for aerial glacier viewing in case one tour is weathered out.

any opinions on the combo flight...if we do this, we would have to give up the excursion to Saxman, which was another high priority option for this port (although we would still have time to combine the standard Misty tour and the Saxman tour).

The 2 best parts of my Alaskan cruise last year: 1. Misty Fjords with Island WIngs - AWESOME BY AIR!!! and Michelle is very personable, you land at the most beautiful spot on earth, get out of the plane and take in the beauty.

For fantastic wildlife sighting: 2. Captain Larry's Orca Enterprises whale watching in Juneau. Not only were we up close and personal to many many whales - including jumping up and out of the water - we saw eagles, sea lions, otters and lots of other assorted wildlife - Very great!!! Do both - you won't regret the money spent.

We booked both independently of the ship.

We took the float plane trip to Misty Fjords form Ketchikan with Taquan Air. We landed in the middle of a lake and climbed out onto the wings. The whole experience was breathtaking.

If you want a glimpse of what we saw take a look at our Alaska album 2 on webshots - link is in our signature.

Isabel

Awesome pics guys :) we have a Misty Fjords Floatplane trip booked for September. Cant wait.

Cheers

Col & Sue

The Misty Fjords trip is a "must" if the weather is great! There's no need to book this one ahead, just go into the long green building right at the pier (Ketchikan) where there are many companies anxious for your business. We've done Island Wings (2006) and Promech Air (2001). Usually the price is much less, ie. $125 person, especially if you walk along and talk to several of the vendors. It's not a trip I would take if the weather wasn't conducive to seeing the incredible scenery! That's why I wouldn't book it ahead!

Our friends took the boat/plane and wished they had just taken the plane! Plane only allows time for additional excursion (Saxman, etc)

Thanks for all the input everyone. We have decided to do the Fly in-Fly out option, again because of the time saver, and we are going to do an extensive boat trip at the Kenai Fjords later in the week for wildlife viewing.

I am usually one to plan things in advance, so I get a little nervous waiting until the day of and taking a chance that there will still be availability for a Misty Fjords Floatplane trip. Do you really think there will still be availability last minute if we wait till we get off the ship to book? If it is of substantial savings I would consider doing this as the trips are not cheap.

So far I am considering Island Wings or Southeast Aviation for this trip. Anyone have any comments about their experiences with either one?

Thanks again for the advice.:)

I am usually one to plan things in advance, so I get a little nervous waiting until the day of and taking a chance that there will still be availability for a Misty Fjords Floatplane trip. Do you really think there will still be availability last minute if we wait till we get off the ship to book? If it is of substantial savings I would consider doing this as the trips are not cheap.

So far I am considering Island Wings or Southeast Aviation for this trip. Anyone have any comments about their experiences with either one?

Thanks again for the advice.:)

Sorry, this is poor advice. You are far better off booking this in advance and getting the timing that makes the best use of time. With many ships having only half day ports, you do not want to waste any time, waiting around for an inconvenient flight time.

Especially, with Island Wings, who is usually fully booked and no walk up space.

I have flown several times with each Island Wings and Southeast Aviation, both excellent companies, that I recommend equally. Consistant superb tours.

The Misty Fjords trip is a "must" if the weather is great! There's no need to book this one ahead, just go into the long green building right at the pier (Ketchikan) where there are many companies anxious for your business. We've done Island Wings (2006) and Promech Air (2001). Usually the price is much less, ie. $125 person, especially if you walk along and talk to several of the vendors. It's not a trip I would take if the weather wasn't conducive to seeing the incredible scenery! That's why I wouldn't book it ahead!

Our friends took the boat/plane and wished they had just taken the plane! Plane only allows time for additional excursion (Saxman, etc)

I would be interested to know with whom you booked these flights at the last minute.

Space is so limited on flights, I am very surprised you got a seat, especially if it was for more than one person.

I agree with others, if it is something you have your heart set on doing, book in advance.

I've been reading the posts and I don't see a company that will fly you in and sail you out of Misty Fjord. I looked at both the Island Wings site and the Southeast Aviation site.

Am I missing something?

Janet

I am apparently the only poster here had crappy weather on the day of our Misty Fjords flight last June. We were on the first flight of the day, and we had to turn back from Misty Fjords due to a low cloud ceiling. I'm returning to Ketchikan in 2008, but I'm not willing to spend that much money for that particular excursion again. Instead, I'll stick with the $38/pp Duck tour. :)

I've been reading the posts and I don't see a company that will fly you in and sail you out of Misty Fjord. I looked at both the Island Wings site and the Southeast Aviation site.

Am I missing something?

Janet

Janet,

What you are asking for would require a company that owns both aircraft and watercraft, and furthermore to be profitable would need to be able to coordinate switching passengers from one mode of transportation to the other and vice versa on the same trips. I'm not aware of any company with that capability.

Additionally, the flights that do land or put down on the water in Misty Fjords (like Island Wings) do not put down in the main waterway. They land on lakes and areas that are 3,000 feet above the main waterway and therefore are inaccessible from below.

Am I missing something?

Janet

We sailed in and reached a floating dock area. The float planes that flew us out came loaded with passengers that were going to sail back. I doubt the combination is offered only by cruise lines, but I cannot think of the tour operator's name (I thought it was Island).

Am I missing something?

Janet

This is a ship contracted tour, usually using Taquan, maybe ProMech and Allen Marine.

Archived