Any tips for drying wetsuits?

texswamper

With all of the cruise diver experience on CC, does anyone have any good tips on drying wetsuits while cruising and keeping the smell down? We will only have a shower in our cabin.

We will have a large balcony on our upcoming cruise.

With all of the cruise diver experience on CC, does anyone have any good tips on drying wetsuits while cruising and keeping the smell down? We will only have a shower in our cabin.

We will have a large balcony on our upcoming cruise.

I suggest rinsing your wet suit in the shower (just jump in with it and make sure you give it a good washing) as soon as you come aboard after diving (the heat and humidity start reacting with the little creatures in your suit right away). Some people rub in a little liquid Downy fabric softener to keep the wet suit supple. Once rinsed, I take mine out on the balcony turned inside out and put it in a chair like it's sitting in it, arms drapped over the arms of the chair, seat in the seat, etc. Once we get underway I place my fins in the seat to keep down the flapping from the wind and flip it over every 3-4 hours for even drying. I have to say, even on a side balcony I've never had my wet suit blow out of a chair so the covered rail really does keep down the wind.

Randall

We find that the booties are the worst smell problem. We rinse all our gear with us in the shower as scubaran said, but add a little shampoo to the booties. You will be fine getting things dry with the balcony, but if you are ever without one, just hang wetsuits from the closet doors with towels on the floor beneath to catch the drips, then crank up the A/C. Dry in no time.

http://www.cruisedivers.blogspot.com

Take everything up to the pool deck and use the outside showers to rinse the saltwater off. There is a really cool new hanger made by UK (http://www.dolphinscuba.com/Wetsuit_Electric_Dryer_Hanger_p/wm_hangair.htm) that has a fan built into it. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but it has been getting great reviews. I always book a balcony if I'm diving just to dry wet gear on. If none of these options are available, just hang it in the bathroom. There is a drain in the floor.

Dale

PADI OWSI

We have used sink the stink after we return from a dive trip, but you are supposed to soak everything in a bathtub with that, so with no tub I didn't think I would bring it. I was taught that we wouldn't want to use a sudsing liquid on our gear unless we were sure that we could get all of the suds completely out of the neoprene.

I have seen the hanger with a fan, but it's fairly bulky and looks like it might take up too much room when we're already luggage challenged.

Thanks for all the tips and feel free to keep them coming.

We have used sink the stink after we return from a dive trip, but you are supposed to soak everything in a bathtub with that, so with no tub I didn't think I would bring it. I was taught that we wouldn't want to use a sudsing liquid on our gear unless we were sure that we could get all of the suds completely out of the neoprene.

I have seen the hanger with a fan, but it's fairly bulky and looks like it might take up too much room when we're already luggage challenged.

Thanks for all the tips and feel free to keep them coming.

Hi again,

That's why I didn't recommend the StS product on the ship, no tub. But DO use it when you return. Fabric softner is a temporary solution and it will keep the wetsuit smelling nice and keep the neoprene soft with no detergent. The hanger is nice, but bulky, turning your wet suit inside out and putting it on the balcony will do pretty much the same thing. Also just as a reminder, if you've got a sunny deck, move the wetsuit in as much shade as possible. The sun could start deteriorating the neoprene. I also take a large travel space bag with me so if the wet suit doesn't get totally dry I can put it in it to keep from dripping water as travel to the next dive destination, put your dry clothes in while diving and put the suit in after diving so I don't drip water over everything while going back to the ship. Remember putting on your suit and jumping into the ship's pool to rinse it isn't advised, and most ship's pools are salt water anyway. :D

r

I think I'll take along the fabric softner. That sounds like a good alternative and I actually bought one of the space bags today after reading a tip on that. I am actually traveling with all of my gear and have a mesh boat bag, so everything will be somewhat wet coming back to the ship. Hopefully it's not going to be a huge mess! This whole wet gear stuff is my least favorite thing about diving! As you can tell, we're new divers and this will be our first cruise dive trip.

I am actually traveling with all of my gear and have a mesh boat bag, so everything will be somewhat wet coming back to the ship. Hopefully it's not going to be a huge mess! This whole wet gear stuff is my least favorite thing about diving! As you can tell, we're new divers and this will be our first cruise dive trip.

Now you know why they sell "water proof" gear bags. Not to keep water from getting in, but keeping water from getting out. :) Did I mention that all that waterlogged gear weights twice as much and you're worn out from the heat and scuba diving? I've done the dragging-feet walk down the long cruise pier with my gear many times (only advantage to tendering at a port that I've found). :p Make sure you get to the gym and do some aerobic exercise and weight training! It's worth it though.

Randall

Are you talking about the rolling gear bags? Maybe I would be better off with one of those, but I thought that the dive boats didn't really like divers to bring rolling bags because of lack of space. Do you have any recommendations for waterproof bags?

By the way, I'll let DH drag my equipment back to the ship, he's renting! lol:D

We found some way cool folding wetsuit hangers in Coz - $16 ea. The top hook swivels, the "arms" fold up, and there are 2 different size swing hooks that fold out - great for hoods & suits. They fold up small and don't weigh that much.

They are from XS Scuba, P/N AC530

http://xsscuba.com/hangers.html

Booties are tough - we have been known to use the in-room hairdryer on stubborn gear. We also try to rinse at the shop before we head back to the ship - an amazing amount of water runs out on the way back.

Archived