Tunis

mho

We are stopping at Tunis on Brilliance of the Seas in June. I can find very little info on Tunis re transport from port to City center, what to do when there and just general info. Any advice much appreciated.

We are stopping at Tunis on Brilliance of the Seas in June. I can find very little info on Tunis re transport from port to City center, what to do when there and just general info. Any advice much appreciated.

There is a commuter train station not too far from the port (out the gate, turn left at the statue) which will take you to one end of downtown. I wouldn't do this without some French or Arabic. However, two of the things that you are likely to want to see, the Medina (the old covered market) and the Bardo Museum, are clear across town from the port and probably require a cab. The Medina is interesting, but the Bardo is not to be missed - incredible mosaics, as close as you can get to someone having taken color photographs in Roman times.

The train going north from the port will take you to Carthage, an upscale suburb of Tunis which has some interesting ruins. Incidentally, the best maps of Tunis and Carthage that I found are in the Blue Guide to Tunisia.

First of all Tunis or Tunisia or LaGoulette is not considered in the MED. it is considered Middle East, You'll have more luck in the "Africa & Middle East" Forum than here I do believe.

In getting some info~ ~ ~right here on CC go to the home page and 1/2 way down you'll see "QUICK LINKS". Under that you'll see "Cruise Regions" click it. Then you'll see "MiddleEast & Africa" click it. Now you'll see "Tunis(LaGoulette)" click it. You're home baby ! A whole ton of info & you can go from there. I just hope the UK version of Home Page is the same as USA's.

Good Luck e CIAO,

• 4 months later...

I would double check your itinerary....

they have been pulling Tunisia off of MANY sailings and replacing it with Palermo

this change began last Friday.

If they have replaced it with Palermo...check your port times for the other ports...because those have been altered.

We cancelled

I can tell you it's on RCCL and they won't tell why.

It is NOT security...as I pulled up the security info for USA, UK and Australia goverments.

Celebrity Summit and Holland America Noordham are still sailing into this port around the same time we were SUPPOSE to be going in.

we did cancel...as our port times elsewhere were shifted.

we are happily planning an extensive Greece and Turkey trip on our own.

First of all Tunis or Tunisia or LaGoulette is not considered in the MED. it is considered Middle East, You'll have more luck in the "Africa & Middle East" Forum than here I do believe.

I wonder where you have your information from.Tunisia is a North -African Country and no Middle East!

where2nextI would double check your itinerary....

they have been pulling Tunisia off of MANY sailings and replacing it with Palermo

The RCCI site is still have Tunisia on the route.I also did made resevations for an excursion in Tunis with confirmation from RCCI

Burny

Just called HAL. Tunisia is still a port of call on our sailing the end of this month. Palermo was part of our itinerary, so my thought it would have meant another day at sea. Still have the dinar issue.

quote=where2next;15754155]I would double check your itinerary....

If they have replaced it with Palermo...check your port times for the other ports...because those have been altered.

We cancelled

• 2 weeks later...
Still have the dinar issue.

When you disembark, you do need to go through Tunisian immigration in a little building right on the dock. The building also has a shop with some crafts stuff, not just tacky souvenirs, and I suspect that you could probably change money there, although we didn't actually do that.

Archived