southern cruise on destiny

itsrikkig

we were thinking of doing a 7 day southern cruise on carnival destiny.

has anyone taken this cruise before. pro and cons

san juan pr

st thomas usvi

dominica

barbados

st lucia wi

antigua

st kitts wi

san juan pr

thanks

rikki

We did the Destiny, with a couple of different ports, including Aruba.

It was TOO port intensive for us, and we felt we needed a vacation after a vacation. But we LOVED Aruba

And yet, we did it previously on the Fascination. :confused:

We were on the Destiny in Feb. Our ports were a little different than the ones you have listed since Destiny at that time went to the Dominican Republic. We liked being in a ports each day but at the same time were not extremely impressed with the islands this time. Some were nice but others not so much. The ship was a bit older but it was still really nice. Enjoy the cruise if you book!

We were also on the Destiny in February (slightly different ports). You can read my review via the link in my signature.

All of the families we traveled with spent at least one port day on-board, like if they had been to one of the islands before.

Since we arrived in Dominican Republic at 3 pm on Friday and didn't leave till 5 pm on Saturday, we spent Friday on the ship -- didn't get off for any evening activities.

Depends what you like. My DH does not like sea days so we did this itinerary. I'm good either way -- as long as I'm on a cruise!

I booked this cruise specifically for the ports....figure it is an exceptionally inexpensive way to find out if one of those islands is one I want to go back to for a land-based stay....also, since the ship is serving more as the vehicle to my island hopping, I'm fine with it being a bit older..I don't plan on spending much time on it.

Also, my mom and sister took this ship in mid February '08 (when DomRep was on the itinerary) and they had a wonderful time, both on the ship and in the ports.

We sailed the Destiny last Oct. It is port intensive so we just went to the beach at almost every port. I found this to be a good solution and the cruise was very relaxing by day and it is a really fun boat at night.

FYI, Victory will replace Destiny this Sept. Victory is same class as Destiny, only newer. Victory has also recently undergone a major renovation, including a giant outdoor movie screen.

We did Southern Caribbean on Destiny in 2005. It was a great cruise and great itinerary, although we "only" visited 4 ports.

Jerry

My husband and I are booked on the final Southern voyage of the Destiny sailing August 31st out of San Juan. We are looking forward to the intensive port schedule and visiting several new islands that we have never been too. We did the Destiny several years ago and enjoyed our stop at Aruba, Barbados Martinique and St. Thomas. We have friends from Ohio joining us whom we met on a Carnival cruise four years ago. We loved the ship even though it was older. Perhaps we will run into to you.

Took the Destiny July 2007. Agree that it is very port intensive--great value. My advise is to pace yourselves....do a relaxing beach at port at least every other day or you will need a vacation from the vacation! I noticed you just did the Valor. We are doing that in 4 weeks....any comments or advise?

FYI, Victory will replace Destiny this Sept. Victory is same class as Destiny, only newer. Victory has also recently undergone a major renovation, including a giant outdoor movie screen.

We did Southern Caribbean on Destiny in 2005. It was a great cruise and great itinerary, although we "only" visited 4 ports.

Jerry

I absolutely LOVED sailing on Victory-why couldn't they have had the outdoor screen two years ago-I will just have to go on it again. I am booked on Destiny this May. How would you rate the formal dressing evenings? Like wedding clothing--or is most everyone who does the formal-dressed really really formal, like some of the gowns posted on another thread?

We sailed the Destiny last May and left from San Juan, went to St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia and Antigua. In St. Lucia we toured with Cosol and loved it...can't remember who we went with in Barbados, but we went on a snorkeling excursion, pretty good. In St. Thomas I recommend Rumbaba, http://www.rumbabacharters.com/index.htm.

Antigua was our last stop and we spent the day at the Grand Pineapple Resort. You have to get your own transportation there, but they have special rates for cruise ship passengers. You spend the whole day there and all of your food and drinks and chair are included. It's a beautiful place and very relaxing after a port intensive itinerary. Here's their website: http://grandpineapplebeachresort.com/

The only problem I have with the Southern itineraries is that they leave from San Juan...the airport there is a nightmare and we almost missed our flight leaving...a big hassle. If you can see my signature, I have a link to my Destiny pictures.

We've been to St. Kitts and Aruba before, but not on this itinerary...loved them both.

How would you rate the formal dressing evenings? Like wedding clothing--or is most everyone who does the formal-dressed really really formal, like some of the gowns posted on another thread?

The cruise director made some joke about knowing it was formal night because of all the flesh oozing out of the dresses.

I would say that unless my cruise was the exception that formal night will be memorable for you. People will be dressed to the nines but in a more going out to a nightclub or for the older cruisers, going to church on Sunday - not really the ballroom type attire.

We sailed the Destiny last May and left from San Juan, went to St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia and Antigua. In St. Lucia we toured with Cosol and loved it...can't remember who we went with in Barbados, but we went on a snorkeling excursion, pretty good. In St. Thomas I recommend Rumbaba, http://www.rumbabacharters.com/index.htm.

Antigua was our last stop and we spent the day at the Grand Pineapple Resort. You have to get your own transportation there, but they have special rates for cruise ship passengers. You spend the whole day there and all of your food and drinks and chair are included. It's a beautiful place and very relaxing after a port intensive itinerary. Here's their website: http://grandpineapplebeachresort.com/

The only problem I have with the Southern itineraries is that they leave from San Juan...the airport there is a nightmare and we almost missed our flight leaving...a big hassle. If you can see my signature, I have a link to my Destiny pictures.

We've been to St. Kitts and Aruba before, but not on this itinerary...loved them both.

Terre,

Do you remember how much you paid for your day pass at the Grand Pineapple Resort? I see on their website it's listed as $65 or $55 depending on how long you're there, but you mentioned they had special rates for cruise passengers.

Thanks! :D

I'm thinking we paid around $50 per person, but they could have increased that. We were there May of last year. If you decide to do this, we used Gordon to get us there...you can find info on him on the Antigua boards. We went with three other couples. The more you have, the less he charges.

After he picked up he took us over to Devil's Ridge and then on a short tour around the island and back to the ship. Also, there is a place called the Outhouse up on the hill there that you MUST go to for lunch. Miss Mary makes the best BBQ chicken and ribs! I will go back and check my scrap book, I'm sure I still have the receipt.

Hey, Stacey, yes we used Gordon. The three other couples from our roll call booked with him, so we got a good rate, I'm thinking something like $15 each.

We did so much on that cruise that I really can't remember what we paid him!

Here's the info...should still be good.

Gordon Finch

Antigua Beach Runner Xcursions

http://www.antiguabeachrunner.com

e-mail: gordon@antiguabeachrunner.com

Cell#: 1-268-772-8738

I know there is info on him on the Antigua boards, too. Check this link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=729275

Enjoy your day in beautiful Antigua!

Taking that cruise at the beginning of May. It IS a port intensive cruise and I don't like to have something to do every single day, so there are some ports I won't be getting off in so I already want to do the itinerary again!

Looking forward to it - - the reason I picked this particular cruise is because it goes to so many places and I've always wanted to see Antigua. Got an awesome deal on it a few months ago.

Archived