Personal Perspectives of Queen Victoria Jan. 13 - Jan. 30, 2008

Sirius Cruiser

Several passengers have written perspectives on Queen Victoria and I generally agree with most of them; therefore, I won’t knowingly parrot what has already been discussed. We all know Cunard did not shop for drawers and many do not consider her an “ocean liner.” I will say that her sea keeping abilities seem to be quite adequate for me. As a matter of fact in the Atlantic crossing pictures, QV does not appear to pitch as much as her venerable sister but, alas, I was not on that trip.

Most reviewers failed to mention or notice her sweetness. Although not majestic like the QM2, Queen Victoria is a magical creature who tends to greet you with open arms welcoming you and surrounding you with warmth and softness. She is cozy. She is Beethoven’s Eroica to QM2’s Pastoral or Fifth Symphony. The tone created here, by this ship and her Master, Captain Paul Wright, and from him through the crew, generates a most pleasurable atmosphere in which to be at sea, conducive to total enjoyment and making life-long friendships, which is exactly what we did!

The Grill experience is patently unparalleled with both dining rooms and lounge in between on their own deck - even a courtyard for dining albeit rather windy. The lounge is lovely, cozy; the dining rooms are beautiful with breathtaking views; there are plenty of tables for two, close enough together for chatting if desired with the couple at the next table. And the food - Wow. Prasad, our Maitre d’ and David, our head waiter, created a perfect experience for us. They really enjoy their responsibilities. Nothing was too much trouble for them. They made Yorkshire Pudding especially for me! (I love Yorkshire pudding!) Dina and Miguel in the Grill Lounge ministered to our thirst and taste for hor’dourves so pleasantly. Matthias, our Grill Concierge, made reservations a breeze. Actually, all QV crew members went out of their way to be accommodating!

Somewhat unfortunate was the small size of the Princess Grill rooms. Long and narrow, 342 sq. ft., sporting a balcony the same size or smaller than some Britannia cabins, Cunard did not use the 389 sq. ft. room category of another Vista class ship, Oosterdam, for example. As in many other parts of the ship, half of our room was too cool while the other half was too warm whether we were in New York waters or Caribbean waters. This is a shame: how different when compared to QM2’s Princess Grill large and comfortable rooms. Let us hope Cunard will see the discrepancy when they build their new Elizabeth.

We enjoyed equally fantastic cuisine in the charming Todd English restaurant one evening, as well as an awesome diner with lively conversation in the lovely Britannia Restaurant with Captain Wright as host. Cunard can be very proud choosing him as master to Queen Victoria. He is everything a captain can and should be!

Viewed from two levels, Deck 2 and 3, the Queens Room is glamorous and elegant. One feels like a princess dancing there and it is so exquisite for tea. However, it has two small shortcomings: one, it is on the small side for an extremely popular event, and two, there is really only one entrance! The marvelous Paradise String Quartet held concerts here. They also played in the Grand Lobby as passengers re-boarded after a day on land. A wonderful pianist-singer named Wish Seredynski gave concerts here and also played in the evenings in the Chart Room. Terrific! Otherwise music onboard was not outstanding. Stagez could not hold a candle to QM2’s awesome Xtasea or QE2’s Onyx and this made Hemispheres rather a disappointment as a night club.

The picturesque library, on two levels, is larger than it looks and makes milling about for a book pleasurable. A separate Book Store nearby is another good idea.

The Chart Room, a Cunard tradition, is cozy. It is hard to tell where one lounge ends and another begins however, as they run along the corridor on the starboard side of the ship. Separate is the Commodore Club up top: large, open, beautiful views, charming paintings, a bar and piano in the center, lovely.

The Royal Court Theater, with no obstructions like QM2’s, is a masterpiece. We sat in a theater box accompanied by pre show hor’ dourves and champagne. All four of us went directly from the Princess Grill Restaurant to the R C Theater and were not able to make a dent in the canapes, icecream pastries or even all the champagne: all of this, and the show, although good, was only 45 minutes!

The well placed Royal Arcade shops carried lovely items while the special “sale” tables so out of place on QM2, fit in well around the opening to the deck below.

Queen Victoria could use several more elevators, especially in the center of the ship. We rarely waited for elevators on QM2 and this difference was quite pronounced.

Perhaps, because most homes on the West Coast have very high ceilings, we were conscious of the low ceilings on Miss Vicky. Unfortunately, I suppose, to get 10 or 12 decks on a (Vista) ship like QV, lower ceilings became a necessity to avoid as much as possible the “condo on a barge” look. Although she skirts this issue, she is a pretty ship and apparently extremely manuverable under the right master. She turned on a dime for him in the Manzanillo harbour, a 180 degree turn around with only feet to spare between the dockside and the sandy shore on the opposite side of the narrow channel: amazing for all of us on deck watching including seasoned crew members.

Speaking of decks, the lack of teak is sad. The decking material is hot in the sun, even bulges in the heat (Deck 12 starboard). This would probably be the reason the lovely pre-build sketches of QV’s pool areas and Winter Garden sporting decking lines were changed into something not so hot on feet and not very pretty. The Queen Victoria deserves teak and teak deck should adorn the new Elizabeth.

In a nut shell, our trip on Queen Victoria was just about perfection! We sailed out of New York accompanied by QM2 and QE2 to music with historical commentary by Bill Miller with a firework celebration second to none; out under the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, then down to Ft. Lauderdale with “Her Highness of the Seas,” QE2; celebrated my birthday on the Panama Canal; daily dined on superlative food in one of the most beautiful rooms at sea, sipped cocktails in a sweet living room - like lounge, met friends who will be friends for life, dined at our most charming Captain’s table, partook of a trip to the Bridge with the most fabulous birthday surprise (!), endured beautiful weather and loved every moment of it. Would I sail on Miss Vicky again? After this amazing trip, in a heartbeat!

Thank you for this detailed review for the Queen Victoria. We are taking the June 10th 12 day Voyage of the Vikings cruise and found this review to be very helpful. We have Queens Grill penthouse accomodations. In terms of the theater boxes in the Royal Court Theater how are these seats allocated? A previous post indicated that there is a $50 charge for these seats. Is that the case. Do Grill passengers have first preference on these seats?

Thank you for this detailed review for the Queen Victoria. We are taking the June 10th 12 day Voyage of the Vikings cruise and found this review to be very helpful. We have Queens Grill penthouse accomodations. In terms of the theater boxes in the Royal Court Theater how are these seats allocated? A previous post indicated that there is a $50 charge for these seats. Is that the case. Do Grill passengers have first preference on these seats?

Hi,

They charge for the boxes on certain nights only and yes your price is correct, you also receive canapes and Champagne. I do not think Grills get priority, you need to book via the Pursers desk from about 9am on the day of the performance.

Any other night it is first come first served, i arrived very early most nights to secure the Royal box.

Some boxes seat 2 people some 4 and some 6.

Gavin

Hi Bobnatt,

We booked our reservation for the Royal Court Theater with the Grill Concierge, Matthias, at least a week before the event we chose. The Grill Concierge's desk is in the left corner of the Grill Lounge as you walk into that lovely room. He was usually there until at least 5 PM. We booked for another couple as well and our charge (I believe including them) was $100. I thought it was $25 per person but I could be wrong.

When we arrived at the RC Theater, we were seated in a pretty room next to the entrance and given glasses of Veuve Cliquot, canapes, and icecream pastries! We sat in a Royal Box, I believe there are two of them, and given more ice cream pastries, fresh glasses and a bottle of Veuve Cliquot in an ice bucket. Fun!

Great review. That was a wonderful trip wasn't it?

I think we might share a birthday. Mine was on Jan 21. Panama Canal was a fabulous place to celebrate :D .

Enjoy your "Brunch with the Queens" in LA.

Denise

Yes, we do share a birthday! We could have had a glass of champagne to celebrate together on the Canal had we known! Wonderful trip it was!

How awesome your sailing along with QE2 once more as she leaves New York for the final time. I think there will be many moist eyes when all of you on QM2 see her approach from the Hudson next to the site of the WTC.

Do you recall her first trip back into New York after Sept. 11th? Her return to New York was considered so special it was shown on at least one of the national TV morning programs. When next to the site, she blasted her beautiful whistle in respect. Also, if I'm not mistaken, our own Captain Paul Wright was in command of her on that trip.

Wasn't it wonderful that both Captain Wright and Captain McNaught decided to travel to Ft Lauderdale in tandem? QE2 was beautiful to look at. I missed her when we went our separate ways.

Whenever we're down here (SoCal) I enjoy going to QM for brunch! For good by to QE2, all 6 of us will have a posters saying "GOOD - BYE - OLD - GIRL" (as another ship signaled to the 1st Mauritania on her last trip) and "WELL - DONE" !!! At least that's the plan now!

Mary

Sirius cruiser, manythanks for your very interesting review of QV which I hope to try next year. In the Princess Grill was caviar avialable & at no charge?

Could you also freely order 'off menu'?

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

As I recall, caviar was on the menu several times and I did have it then; however, caviar canapes are served in the Grill Lounge and I satiated my taste for it there. I somehow feel bad eating it now, since my kids are telling me, it is from endangered species. I got all kinds of static from them after the QM2 cruise when several pictures of me eating caviar appeared!

Yes we did freely order off the menu. You must understand, however, the Grill menus are wonderful. There is a daily dinner menu and an a la carte dinner menu. It would be unlikely to desire something not on the menu. BUT, if there is, they will try to create just what you want! Our experience ordering goodies not on either menu were: a special Scottish breakfast with all kinds of things I couldn't tell you what they were (menu put together by a delightful Scottish couple); Yorkshire pudding; crab; crepes suzettes; perhaps a fish or two. Our friends wanted white pepper: a little grinder filled with white peppercorns appeared on their table!

I have to say the worst thing about Queen Victoria is not being on her right now!

As I recall, caviar was on the menu several times and I did have it then; however, caviar canapes are served in the Grill Lounge and I satiated my taste for it there. I somehow feel bad eating it now, since my kids are telling me, it is from endangered species. I got all kinds of static from them after the QM2 cruise when several pictures of me eating caviar appeared!

Yes we did freely order off the menu. You must understand, however, the Grill menus are wonderful. There is a daily dinner menu and an a la carte dinner menu. It would be unlikely to desire something not on the menu. BUT, if there is, they will try to create just what you want! Our experience ordering goodies not on either menu were: a special Scottish breakfast with all kinds of things I couldn't tell you what they were (menu put together by a delightful Scottish couple); Yorkshire pudding; crab; crepes suzettes; perhaps a fish or two. Our friends wanted white pepper: a little grinder filled with white peppercorns appeared on their table!

I have to say the worst thing about Queen Victoria is not being on her right now!

I am on QV now and in Britania we have NOT seen any caviar and we can NOT choose to have anything that is not on the menu. I know we pay less but the Grillers should show a little respect and not brag so much!

There are NO single cabins in any category. I paid 200%, due to currency fluctuation, with no upgrade!

But I am enjoying the cruise in my cabin ...... with draws!

I am on QV now and in Britania we have NOT seen any caviar and we can NOT choose to have anything that is not on the menu. I know we pay less but the Grillers should show a little respect and not brag so much!

There are NO single cabins in any category. I paid 200%, due to currency fluctuation, with no upgrade!

But I am enjoying the cruise in my cabin ...... with draws!

Can't believe you guys are still onboard - it seems like an age since we got off in LA :eek:

We were in Britannia and we regularly ordered the normal 'additional' fare of prawn cocktails, baked potatoes, fries, steaks or salmon etc when we didn't fancy what was on the menu - don't think caviar is an option but not that keen on it anyway :rolleyes:

When did you get your drawers fitted and where are they????

Hope Roscoe is behaving himself!!! ;)

Ken

• 1 month later...

We were on the QV for nine weeks. I normally ate "off menu" each evening, so did others on our table (during the nine weeks on board we had three changes of table mates). I ordered grilled salmon on most evenings, it got to the point were our server would pre order it for me.

One of our table mates would order grilled bass, another would order a ceasar salad and another ordered fresh berries every night.

I know it sounds odd that people would want the same thing night after night, however, after a few weeks you want some sameness.

Archived