San Diego for a first Timer...

josephml1

Why? Just wondering why you would want to go to Tijuana?

Why? Is Tijuana Dangerous? I hear good comments about go to Tijuana to have a real Mexican experience...Or they are going to stole my money?:confused:

I also heard that GreyHound offer transportation from SD downtown to Tijuana but not sure.

It looks like Greyhound does go; that may be your best bet but you'll have to take a taxi to the Greyhound station downtown.

Tijuana is a typical Mex border town. There are some nice/fun spots but I don't make a habit of going. (Especially with some recent events that may make it not so safe.) If you've ever experienced Ensenada, Tijuana is about on par. I enjoy Cabo, Puerto Vallerta, Cancun, Cozumel & the like - but avoid Tijuana for the most part. If I were to go to a border town nearby for the day, I would probably opt for Tecate. (of Tecate cerveza!)

What kind of tour are you planning?

My husband and I loved Sea World and would highly recommend it. The trolley is safe and cheap, takes you everywhere, you can even connect to the commuter train at Old Town and go up to Carlsbad which is cool little town hugely popular with surfers. You can walk the town streets or walk the sandy beach for a long long way and watch the surfers. Walk around seaside village, take a boat ride over to Coronado Island, walk around the Gaslamp Quarter lots of great pubs and restaurants. Fantastic open air mall on the trolley route, can't remember the name of it but if you like shopping it was superb.

The Trolley does not go "everywhere". It does not go to the Zoo or Balboa Park, to the airport, or to the Wild Animal Park (or anywhere in north county inland) or to Coronado or Point Loma or the Cabrillo Monument. It does not go directly to Sea World. It does not go to any of the beaches.

You can take other forms of public transporation (buses, the Coaster train, Amtrak, etc.) to get to most of those places though.

You may be thinking of either Fashion Valley or Mission Valley Westfield malls, which both are open to the air and have the standard mall type of shops and anchor stores you probably have at home.

It looks like Greyhound does go; that may be your best bet but you'll have to take a taxi to the Greyhound station downtown.

Tijuana is a typical Mex border town. There are some nice/fun spots but I don't make a habit of going. (Especially with some recent events that may make it not so safe.) If you've ever experienced Ensenada, Tijuana is about on par. I enjoy Cabo, Puerto Vallerta, Cancun, Cozumel & the like - but avoid Tijuana for the most part. If I were to go to a border town nearby for the day, I would probably opt for Tecate. (of Tecate cerveza!)

What kind of tour are you planning?

Ohh...I will skip tijuana, maybe Not a good idea... But I will love to have a good beer in SD with an Ocean view.

Thank you for the info.;)

My husband and I loved Sea World and would highly recommend it. The trolley is safe and cheap, takes you everywhere, you can even connect to the commuter train at Old Town and go up to Carlsbad which is cool little town hugely popular with surfers. You can walk the town streets or walk the sandy beach for a long long way and watch the surfers. Walk around seaside village, take a boat ride over to Coronado Island, walk around the Gaslamp Quarter lots of great pubs and restaurants. Fantastic open air mall on the trolley route, can't remember the name of it but if you like shopping it was superb.

Sounds good, thank you for taking the time to post your comments and advice.:)

For dining with an ocean view, try some of the restaurants along Prospect in La Jolla on the west side that have ocean views. Pricey, but great views. Personally I like the upstairs deck bar at the Top of the Cove, but there is also the deck at George's at the Cove. Or splurge and have dinner at the Marine Room in La Jolla.

The bar at the top of the Manchester Grant Hyatt over the marina (with a view of the bay, not the ocean) is great too, but drinks are EXPENSIVE. You could also check out some of the places in Mission Beach along the west side of Mission Blvd. like the Green Flash for less expensive but good ocean views. The Sheerwater at the Hotel del Coronado also is a great deck with a view of the ocean.

For dining with an ocean view, try some of the restaurants along Prospect in La Jolla on the west side that have ocean views. Pricey, but great views. Personally I like the upstairs deck bar at the Top of the Cove, but there is also the deck at George's at the Cove. Or splurge and have dinner at the Marine Room in La Jolla.

The bar at the top of the Manchester Grant Hyatt over the marina (with a view of the bay, not the ocean) is great too, but drinks are EXPENSIVE. You could also check out some of the places in Mission Beach along the west side of Mission Blvd. like the Green Flash for less expensive but good ocean views. The Sheerwater at the Hotel del Coronado also is a great deck with a view of the ocean.

Thank You splinter...

That sounds great... But tell me which one is your favorite? For food, view and ambiance

Well personally I have found the Island Prime above a disappointment as far as the food, and it is expensive. Decent view of the bay and Coronado, but no better than inexpensive Anthony's.

I would probably opt for the Marine Room for the best combination of food, view and ambiance, followed by George's at the Cove (which will be more expensive), but only if it is nice enough to eat out on the deck. The rest of the restaurant varies in quality of the view, esp. at night.

I also forgot to mention Peohe's on Coronado. It has the best view across the bay to the city so it is best at dusk or after dark. If you want OCEAN (not Bay) go with one of the two above.

If you like polynesian food; there's another restaurant with a great view - the Bali Hai on Shelter Island (not really an island) has great views of the bay & at night, the downtown skyline is amazing! It's not overly expensive, entrees run around $20 or so... but one warning, the drinks are potent!!!

I do not recomend going on a Sat., however, as the banquet areas under the restaurant are always booked for weddings.

The Green Flash is in Pacific Beach, we have eaten there a few times and really enjoyed it. If it's nice out, get a table on the outdoor patio and watch the sun going down while sipping your beverage of choice.

Great people watching and ambiance and the food was very good and reasonably priced.

Here's the link: http://greenflashrestaurant.com/

We like to bring our bicycles down in the late afternoon/early evening in summertime and ride the boardwalk and have a relaxing dinner there, watch the sunset and ride our bikes back to the car.

There IS a huge wait list on Friday and Sat. nights, so I highly recommend reservations, unless you want to hang out for a couple of hours waiting for a table, (which we've done, LOL!).

Great options for a dinner with a view...Thank you all for post it, Right now I have a notebook with all your counseling and advice.:)

This week I will receive the SD tourism magazine and then I will come back here to post new questions.

Again thank you all.:D

• 2 weeks later...

With recent problems in Mexico, I would not plan to go to Tiajuana, especially if you are heading south on the cruise ship. The farther south you go to better. TJ is just not a fun place. And if you want to see a similar view plan to go to "Old Town" for some good Mexican food. Carnitas, grilled lobster, tacos, margaritas and homemade tortillas! And there is a lot of history there.

We do like Sea World. But I enjoy going behind the scenes to watch the trainer and animal in action. I much prefer to see the animals wild and at sea, but the park tries to educate and I love touching dolphins, manta rays, star fish and other creatures. Its a fun day for us. And right on the bay

Gaslamp District is fun with lots of clubs, Jimmy Love's has great jazz

George's in La Jolla is good food, great view.

We enjoy swordfish at:

Brigantine Point Loma

2725 Shelter Island Dr.

San Diego, CA 92106

The Fish Market (several locations)has some really good seafood for reasonable prices. Not fancy, but good fresh food.

Make sure you take a drive up the coast to see the small coastal towns with lots of character.

And make sure you have lots of fish tacos! They sound strange, but you will be hooked!

Splinter and everyone have given you some really good information

With recent problems in Mexico, I would not plan to go to Tijuana, especially if you are heading south on the cruise ship. The farther south you go to better. TJ is just not a fun place.

Definitive I will have Fish Tacos...Thank you for the information and advice, I check the Menu of Fish markets and it looks very good :))))

But tell me more about the problems you mention In Mexico and Tijuana?

Definitive I will have Fish Tacos...Thank you for the information and advice, I check the Menu of Fish markets and it looks very good :))))

But tell me more about the problems you mention In Mexico and Tijuana?

Just google tijuana tourist news & you will see... mostly kidnappings & drug violence problems. Overall, it's a border town. Mexico (in general) has a lot of political turmoil right now & it seems the border towns have an exagerated bit of it. Honestly, I'm sure it would be ok for an afternoon... but I wouldn't want to go myself if I could spend that time in one of our beach communities instead!

As for another poster's recomendation for Old Town... I would have to digress. It used to be authentic - but then a big chain tourism company in the north east took it over & now it's just not the same. Locals used to flock there as well as tourists... now most of the locals stay away & go to more authentic places in town. Just my humble $.02.

How far is Carlsbad from San Diego Downtown?

How is the traffic, the freeway and how long does it takes to arrive there?

I believe Carlsbad id probably 35 miles or so from downtown just up the 5 freeway. As far as how long it takes to get there... when are you going? Day of the week? Time? It could be anywhere from 35 minutes to 1.5 hours depending on traffic.

I believe Carlsbad id probably 35 miles or so from downtown just up the 5 freeway. As far as how long it takes to get there... when are you going? Day of the week? Time? It could be anywhere from 35 minutes to 1.5 hours depending on traffic.

Thank you for the information I will be there on a weekday. Time well... in the morning and return in the evening.

To be totally honest with you I am a little bit worried about the traffic.:confused:

Driving to Carlsbad you would have to fight some of the worst traffic north in the AM, and some equally bad traffic coming south in the PM. Have you considered taking the train (Amtrak) or Coaster (commuter train)? Where are you going in Carlsbad?

The train or coaster are definately better options; as Splinter suggests. Otherwise on a weekday the only way to minimize traffic would be to leave downtown after 8:30 or 9am and return before 3pm or after 7pm.

I will consider the commuter train...Thank You splinter and Cascole

A friend of mine works in the The Sheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa, he told me this hotel is brand new and I was considering go there one day.:)

Archived