San Diego for a first Timer...

josephml1

It is about 3 miles from there to the Carlsbad Village Coaster station. Can your friend pick you up? Otherwise, it would not be an expensive cab ride, but you would have to call a cab. I doubt if there are any waiting at the Coaster station.

It is about 3 miles from there to the Carlsbad Village Coaster station. Can your friend pick you up? Otherwise, it would not be an expensive cab ride, but you would have to call a cab. I doubt if there are any waiting at the Coaster station.

Thank you splinter... Do you know where I can check the info about the commuter service?

Thanks again.:)

Hi

Im going on a cruise the end of Jan. I am spending the Thursday and Friday in San Diego. What I'm looking for since I will not have a car is a hotel close the the pier or a hotel I can stay at to see sights. I was hoping that hotels had tours that pick you up at the hotel and took you around the city to see the zoo, or other highlights of San Diego. Is there something like this? This is my first time on the west coast because I'm biting the bullet and flying there. I thought the trolley did do this but I thought I read somewhere that it doesnt. I could be wrong, after awhile reading so many of these threads it gets a little confusing.

Thanks

Dorene

Dorene, you are probably confusing the San Diego Trolley (light rail) with the Old Town Trolley Tours (buses that go around a fixed route to most of the tourist areas, a commercial venture). The latter a good option if you are by yourself and don't want to rent a car, and have more than a day available in San Diego (you can get a two day ticket): http://www.trolleytours.com/San-Diego/

How much do you want to spend on a hotel? Mission Valley will be less expensive than downtown or the Marina area close to the port. Many Mission Valley hotels have shuttles to take you to the port. Some have shuttles from the airport too, and several are on the Old Town Trolley Tour route. Old Town is also a possibility since they stop at the transit center there.

Dorene, you are probably confusing the San Diego Trolley (light rail) with the Old Town Trolley Tours (buses that go around a fixed route to most of the tourist areas, a commercial venture). The latter a good option if you are by yourself and don't want to rent a car, and have more than a day available in San Diego (you can get a two day ticket): http://www.trolleytours.com/San-Diego/

How much do you want to spend on a hotel? Mission Valley will be less expensive than downtown or the Marina area close to the port. Many Mission Valley hotels have shuttles to take you to the port. Some have shuttles from the airport too, and several are on the Old Town Trolley Tour route. Old Town is also a possibility since they stop at the transit center there.

You are really a great asset regarding San Diego and I want to thank you. I have been checking different hotels, it can make you crazy especially when you read reviews, even though I don't always make my choices on them. I was thinking about Best Western since it's near little Italy. I just want to do the most I can in the two days.........and what is the weather during Jan. I am going to Ensenda and Cabo on this cruise. It's a 5 day cruise but at a great price.

Thanks

Dorene

January is our rainiest month, so you should be prepared for that. It is usually in the 50s during the day and can drop down into the 40s at night during that month. Ensenada will be very similar as they are only 90 miles south. Cabo should be nice and warm (in the 80s during the day) in Jan.

Which Best Western? If you will have a car, the Seven Seas Best Western in Mission Valley is a good bet, and you can get a free shuttle from them to the port.

I could also recommend La Pensione in Little Italy for a good basic hotel. It is best to book directly through their website.

• 2 weeks later...

No such thing exists. You would probably do better to use one of the off-site airport parking lots and see if they will shuttle you. Try the Mission Brewery lot which I usually use when I fly. If they won't shuttle you, you would probably still save money by taking a cab from on of the airport lots compared to parking near the convention center. If you get a park and cruise package at your hotel you may be able to leave your car there and just take a shuttle or cab to the convention center.

January is our rainiest month, so you should be prepared for that. It is usually in the 50s during the day and can drop down into the 40s at night during that month. Ensenada will be very similar as they are only 90 miles south. Cabo should be nice and warm (in the 80s during the day) in Jan.

Which Best Western? If you will have a car, the Seven Seas Best Western in Mission Valley is a good bet, and you can get a free shuttle from them to the port.

I could also recommend La Pensione in Little Italy for a good basic hotel. It is best to book directly through their website.

Thank You, I took your advise. I reviewed the La Pensione in Little Italy and it looks perfect. I booked it through their website for two nights and I want to thank you for suggesting this hotel. While it has mixed reviews, what I noticed people complained about is really too minor to mention. If you have any other thoughts or suggestions during my stay in Jan I would love to hear them.

Warm Regards,

Dorene

No such thing exists. You would probably do better to use one of the off-site airport parking lots and see if they will shuttle you. Try the Mission Brewery lot quote]

Thank You Splinter...:)

Do you remember how much cost the parking on Mission Brewery lot?

Thanks.

Thank you all... This thread is an open encyclopedia for Information about SD, what to do where to go, where to eat.

I know this thread is going to be very useful for future readers.

I found it very helpful...

Especially thanks to: splinter, cascole, swtgypsy, and all the people who take the time to write in this thread.

San Diego for a first timer readers…Please fell free to add your question about SD on this page I know all the Kind people from SD area will be glad to answer it.

We will be in San Diego at the end of September, but we will have limited time - plane arrives at 1:30PM. I'm wondering what is the best way to spend the rest of the afternoon. We're early sixties, not so much interested in shopping or beach going but more so in seeing the sights of San Diego.

On our first trip, we stayed at Best Western Bayside and walked to the waterfront where we visited the Maritime Museum and Midway. Some research revealed that this hotel is also near Little Italy. I don't know if it would be better to explore that area or to make a run for Balboa Park. The website says it closes at 4:30.

What do you know about the Little Italy Inn? I found it on the Little Italy website, and it looks very interesting. I know many have suggested La Pensione, but my husband is reluctant to consider it because it does not have air conditioning.

I'd appreciate your suggestions.

Will you have a car while in town? That will determine which direction & how far you might want to go to see sights.

Balboa Park never really closes; but the museums there do. There is a nice restaurant there called The Prado.

Old Town is another option, however a few years ago it was taken over by a large tourism company & has changed from what most long time San Diegans knew it to be. Even so, it might be worth looking into.

The Cabrillo monument/lighthouse on Point Loma is also worth a stop for an hour or so. It's not far, but you probably would want to have a car to visit. I believe it also closes at 5pm.

Of course, within walking distance is always the waterfront & the USS Midway to Sea Port Village.

I don't know the hotel you mention, it looks cute. Just keep in mind that it's on a very busy street - which happens to be one of the main arteries onto the freeway.

Thanks for the suggestions. We are not planning to get a car for just a few hours. We will board the ship the next day so we were hoping to find something within walking distance of the hotel or at least a reasonable taxi ride away.

Best Western Bayside was a good choice last time because it allowed us to see the Midway and Maritime Museum plus a nice dinner at Anthony's and a quick stop to purchase wine at Rite-Aid. Everything was within a few blocks.

We'd like to see something else this time. What else is near Best Western? Is there enough to see in Little Italy for an afternoon? Can you recommend a restaurant there?

Would our time be better spent in another location?

Little Italy is mostly shopping & restaurants. It's a nice place to just stroll, enoy the shops & eat some terrific food. If you only have a few hours, it's probably a good bet. It's also full of smaller art galleries. While I haven't spent a lot of time there recently, so can't personally recomend a restaurant - this link maybe of help:

http://www.littleitalysd.com/splash/index.asp

If you enjoy live music, there is a new venue in the area as well, Anthology - which is nice evening entertainment & has a good menu. They typically host jazz or blues bands.

http://www.anthologysd.com/home.html

Someone else from SD may have spent more time there & can be of more help than I. Hopefully Splinter or others will chime in.

I live in San Diego and I drove by the Inn this morning--it is situated right by a very busy entrance ramp to I-5 and next to the elevated highway--I would suggest La Pensione--I stayed there while by house was painted a few years ago--small rooms but great location. Most of the year you don't need air conditioning in SD, especially that close to he water cool breezes etc.

As far as Sea World---my 8 yr daughter and I like to go, but if you were to pick one place in that vein, I would pick the SD Zoo in Balboa park. When you are done, you can walk over to the Prado Restaurant in the park--great food and ambiance

Johanna

Hi, We are staying 4 nights post cruise and I took Slinters advise and booked the Double Tree in Mission Valley. I do not want to rent a car and am thinking of getting the 4 day bus and trolley pass for $15. Will we be able to go to most places using the combo pass ? Thanks for any help and suggestions.

We will be in SD for the Radiance next year. I'm looking for a hotel that offers parking and a shuttle. I thought I read that the Doubletree does and possibly the Crowne Plaza, but neither website says anything about it.

Thanks!

Archived