Which Caribbean cruise to chose?

ilya12000

Hello,

This is just copy of the thread on another board:

We are trying to chose one of 2 cruises. They are almost the same price, and both are in Southern-Eastern Caribbean, from San Juan.

1. Serenade of the Seas (Royal Caribbean), 7 days, destinations: St.Thomas, St.John, St. Maarten, St.Lucia, Barbados

2. Galaxy (Celebrity), 10 days, destinations: Tortola, St.Maarten, St. Lucia, Barbados, Grenada, Curacao, Aruba.

We are family with tenager daughther (13). We are more "viewers", than "beachers".

We have cruised several times, but only with NCL and we don't know these destinations and cruise lines.

Could somebody give their thoughts and opinions (I understand, that they are subjective)?

Thanks in advance,

Ilya

I think the RCI cruise would be better for you teen! Royal has alot for kids--and I don't think Celebrity will have as many kid-friendly activities. But, a 10 day sure sounds nice!

See, for me, the beaches are the thing when I'm in port, so I don't think I can help you with that! But, I know there are alot of really interesting activities and excursions avail at any of your potential ports!

Personally, I'd pick the cruise where I'd get the largest, nicest cabin at the best price!

Good luck!

I am an RCI fan, and the Radiance class ships (Serenade) are some of the most beautiful ships afloat. Also, RCI does an excellent job of entertaining teenagers.

However, Celebrity, which is owned by RCI, is considered a step above as far as service and quality of food is concerned, but it has the reputation of being more formal, which may or may not work with your particular teenager, and it tends to draw a more "senior" crowd. Celebrity Galaxy is an older ship, so it might not have all the bells and whistles of the newer ships afloat.

It's really a toss up - you can't go wrong with either ship. I'd probably be tempted to select a 10 day Celebrity cruise over a 7 day RCI one, however I think my teens would like the RCI cruise better.

Hello,

This is just copy of the thread on another board:

We are trying to chose one of 2 cruises. They are almost the same price, and both are in Southern-Eastern Caribbean, from San Juan.

1. Serenade of the Seas (Royal Caribbean), 7 days, destinations: St.Thomas, St.John, St. Maarten, St.Lucia, Barbados

2. Galaxy (Celebrity), 10 days, destinations: Tortola, St.Maarten, St. Lucia, Barbados, Grenada, Curacao, Aruba.

We are family with tenager daughther (13). We are more "viewers", than "beachers".

We have cruised several times, but only with NCL and we don't know these destinations and cruise lines.

Could somebody give their thoughts and opinions (I understand, that they are subjective)?

Thanks in advance,

Ilya

I also like the 10 day. In particular that you are viewers you would like Aruba ,very scenic,Tortola is also nice. Barbados which is common to both has really too much to see on a day trip but you will have fun trying to squeeze it all in (caverns,beachfront ,wildlife reserve)I hired a private driver the first trip here and saw alot more than I would have otherwise.If you like rum the Cockspur brand is exceptional.No thoughts on the 13 y.o. and Celebrity but what's not to like on a cruise.

I agree that your teens would probably enjoy RCI better. While we have not been on a celebrity cruise, I have heard it can be an older crowd. Both have great places they are stopping at. How about doing the RCI and staying before or after at San Juan for a day or two?

Enjoy which ever one you pick.

It's hard to compare the two because of the 3 days extra on one itinerary.

We loved Barbados and St. Lucia. There's a lot to do there, especially for an active teen. (Hiking, caves, ziplines, etc...) Aruba & Curacao have a lot to offer in terms of activities as well.

Though I enjoyed St. John, St. Maarten and St. Thomas there weren't as many 'active' options, IMO, for us to choose from.

Personally, I'd choose the 10 day one. And just think, 3 extra days of vacation! :)

Archived