do u get hep A shot

We're doing the Mexican Riviera in 2 weeks. I had my annual (?) physical 2 weeks ago and mentioned it to my Doctor. He highly recommended it since the Hep A is an airborne virus and very contagious. Last December there was a Hep A outbreak in Los Angeles affecting a holiday party gala. It was found to passed on by the wait staff or kitchen to the party goers and some of the affected were his patients.

You get one shot now and another in either 6 weeks or 6 months and then you're done for the rest of your life. Kids, apparently get it as part of their school innoculations, so you don't have to worry about that if your child gets his recommended shots.

It can't hurt to get it so if you can, why not?

Just my 2 cents~:)

Hep A is normally passed via food. If your cook has hep A there is a high risk you will get it. If you get it you are definitely going to have serious health problems. The vaccine is simple get a shot and get a follow up shot 6 months later and you have immunity for virtually life. Hep A is not just found in the 3rd world.

jc

The doctors that I have worked with have all said that anyone who eats in a restaurant should get the HepA vaccination. I think that would include most if not all of us. Since there are so many places even in the states that have had outbreaks, I highly recommend getting the 2 shot series and not have that concern.

We are doing Western Caribbean, and were recommended by our health advisors to have Hep A and Typhoid also. These were a single combined shot - very easy, and with no side-effects.

As some other posters have said - we were informed that eating/drinking anywhere unsanitary can result in Hep A, and so it was a good idea to have the shot regardless of where we were going.

Hope this helps.

My DH, DSs, and I all got our Hep A shots before doing our 2 western Caribbean cruises, for all of the reasons already mentioned. Also, like someone else mentioned, simply for the reason that you can pick it up dining out in restaurant (or anywhere really), where the fresh fruit or veggies weren't properly cleaned (and were imported from countries where Hep A is rampant, which includes many of the countries where our supermarket's fresh produce comes from in the winter months).

We're doing the Mexican Riviera in 2 weeks. I had my annual (?) physical 2 weeks ago and mentioned it to my Doctor. He highly recommended it since the Hep A is an airborne virus and very contagious. Last December there was a Hep A outbreak in Los Angeles affecting a holiday party gala. It was found to passed on by the wait staff or kitchen to the party goers and some of the affected were his patients.

You get one shot now and another in either 6 weeks or 6 months and then you're done for the rest of your life. Kids, apparently get it as part of their school innoculations, so you don't have to worry about that if your child gets his recommended shots.

It can't hurt to get it so if you can, why not?

Just my 2 cents~:)

Wow, that's just not true!

Here is some info on this virus:

http://www.cdc.gov/NCIDOD/diseases/hepatitis/a/fact.htm

Archived