Port of San Franscisco

Beachgator

My wife and I will disembark our ship in San Franscisco and want to rent a car for a few days to drive down the coast to Santa Monica before returning to Florida. Anyone have any thoughts about shuttle or taxie services to the SFO Airport? We assume renting a car at the airport would give us better options since we're returning the car in LA? Thanks for your input.:confused:

Super Shuttle, blue airport shuttle vans, about $25 pp; taxies fare is about $40. Or head over to the Hyatt Regency Embarcadero and outside by the cable car turn around is a BART entrance (subway), about $4-5 pp, takes you right to the international terminal in SFO. From there you can transfer to the AIRTRAIN (free) to the car rental facility.

Oh, with Super Shuttle you may have to share the ride or go to a few stops before they'll head to the airport.

Should be a 15-20 minute drive to the airport once you get out of city traffic.

My wife and I will disembark our ship in San Franscisco and want to rent a car for a few days to drive down the coast to Santa Monica before returning to Florida. Anyone have any thoughts about shuttle or taxie services to the SFO Airport? We assume renting a car at the airport would give us better options since we're returning the car in LA? Thanks for your input.:confused:

We drive to port about 6 1/2 to 7 hrs. and we love to go the Pacific coast Highway 1 route. The scenery is great and you don't have that awful freeway traffic. Enjoy your drive.;)

You might try renting from Enterprise and they will pick you up at the pier and take you to the closest rental location. As long as you are returning the car in LAX, it should not make a difference where you pick it up.

There are only a few days this year where there are two ships (or more) in San Francisco.

May 06

Sept 14

Sept 23

Sept 24 (3)

Oct 03

That being said, most ship days are pretty wacko around pier 35, so take that into consideration.

Hello,

Some ideas for your trip from San Francisco to Los Angeles:

Carmel - walk around this wonderful town and see the art galleries, and walk on the beach late in the afternoon. Also go on the 17 mile drive. See the 18th hole at Pebble Beach even if you are not golfers.

The Hearst Castle - a especially interesting place to experience.

San Luis Obispo - A lovely town with many good restaurants, shopping, and hotels/motels

Santa Barbara - see the Mission

Simi Valley: The Ronald Reagan Library (no matter what your political leanings)

The Getty Museum in Los Angeles - for the views from atop the hill architecture, and art collections.

Hope that this helps,

Fred

Thanks to all for the feedback. We'll just take your advice and chill when getting off the ship and I'll check into Enterprise for auto rental options. My wife and I are quite excited about the drive down PCH, since we've never done that before and have heard it's something special. We plan to spend a night in Carmel and Morro Bay on our drive down. Can't wait.

Archived