Time enough?

ritak

We are planning to do the America's Cup race which is listed as having a time from 1:30 to 4:30. We've heard how beautiful Orient Beach is and would like to spend a little time there as well. Would it be worth our while to go after the race. We are going in June, so I imagine it will still be nice that late in the day? Would we take a taxi to get there? Thanks

Orient Beach is a good distance from the port - don't recall exactly but probably a 20 minute cab ride. Not sure what time you leave port - but if you're going to something that ends at 4:30, most ships leave close to that time. I wouldn't think there would be time to get to Orient Beach. Of course that depends on your ship's departure time. You definitely would have time in the morning - again assuming your ship gets in first thing in the morning. Hope that helps.

Wow.

It looks like your ship is in from Noon until 9 pm.

After the America's Cup (I highly recommend the event) you're unlikely to get to Orient before 5:15 or so. At that point, most of Orient will be closing down or closed, and the no-see-ems will be coming out. Sunset isn't until 6:45 or so, but it will be late in the day on that side of the island.

If you just want to 'see' the beach, and it is a great beach, then go ahead and grab a roundtrip ride in a taxi, but, unfortunately, I don't think you're in a condition to enjoy any beach or water time at that point.

Your best bet may be to get in a little shopping downtown, then grab a few drinks and dinner in Philipsburg. Or if you're there on the right day of the week, something like the Lord Sheffield sunset cruise?

gary

Thank you for your help! Perhaps we should do the ocean racing in St. Thomas instead. This tour has an early morning slot and then we could still enjoy the island. Too bad the America's Cup cuts into most of the day. I would like to see some of St. Martin.......but then again shopping is always good :)

Archived