Visiting Egypt visas & jabs

Joecors

Hi there

Would appreciate some advice!

The Quest cruise we' re on in October stops at Alexandria.

Does anyone know if visas are required and if so can they be obtained at the port?

Also whether it is avisable to have any inoculations?

Sam

Don't know about visas with a cruise. However I did visit Egypt a couple of years ago and we got our visa in the airport as we landed. Had absolutely no problem with it at all, just had to pay for stamp to be put in passport. Have a wonderful trip.

we travelled through egypt 2 years ago. my recollection is that we were advised to get hep a,b and tetanus shots. we did.

stay with a group, do not wander by yourself. the most persistent and skilled beggars live in egypt.

Visas are required. Check with Azamara to see if they are obtaining them for the entire ship (group visa) or whether you have to do it individually. I used a visa service; others have obtained visas at the Cairo airport on arrival. No shots required but tetanus, as always, is a good idea. Do not drink the local water anywhere in Egypt nor use ice for anything (not even to chill your bottled water).

Hi there

Does anyone know if visas are required and if so can they be obtained at the port?

Sam

We were told to have all the Hepatitis jabs plus typhoid and tetanus.

Previously I stated we'd paid for Visa's to Egypt, but now remembered that was Turkey. The rules for Egypt were that cruiseship passengers, (and air I think) RETURNING to ship after tours , you have 3 days you don't need a visa, so we didn't have any, tho we took a private tour for 2 days.:)

Just went to Egypt in November. You must buy a visa. You can probably do it at the port or online via the Egyptian Consulate. Get Hep A and B shots, which all travelers should have anyway. Don't even think about drinking the water, even in a high class restaurant. I made the mistake on my last night of ordering a mango shake that was thinned with tap water and was violently ill for 24 hours, coming out both ends. Egypt is one the most filthy dirty countries you will ever travel to-it's one big garbage dump. be prepared to be shocked at the trash you see at the Pyramids and Sphinx. But it is a very interesting place.

Unfortunately, susiesan is correct about the conditions in Egypt--for example, don't even think about touching money and then touching your food or your mouth. But of course it is the only place to see the wonders of Ancient Egypt so you just have to be prepared and careful. On the plus side, aside from some petty crime (mainly scamming tourists) there is little or no violent crime.

Hi there

Sam

Just returned from Egypt...the gets the Visas for everyone.... it is put in your passport when the customs officials come on board. We didn't have to get one orpay for one.

Just returned from Egypt...the gets the Visas for everyone.... it is put in your passport when the customs officials come on board. We didn't have to get one orpay for one.

Yes, but did you go by ship or air? We went by air and the tour guide collected our passports, submitted them all at a desk for thee visas as a group, but we paid $20 each to him. The real cost is $15 if you do it yourself. Someone who has gone by ship to Alexandria needs to answer this question.

Yes, but did you go by ship or air? We went by air and the tour guide collected our passports, submitted them all at a desk for thee visas as a group, but we paid $20 each to him. The real cost is $15 if you do it yourself. Someone who has gone by ship to Alexandria needs to answer this question.

Well I thought I had already anwered this we actually didn't need any visa if coming off a cruise ship for less than 3 day stay...go to the Visa page for Egypt and if you read far enough you discover you don't need visas, If you do most cruiselines will TELL you so and try to sell them to you.

Foreigners arriving in Egypt on board of ships are granted a permission to visit the port of arrival for 24 hours and catch their ship at the same port. They can also be granted a permission to enter the country for a visit not exceeding a period of 3 days before catching their ship at the port of arrival or at any other port. Quote from the visa site for Egypt

Well I thought I had already anwered this we actually didn't need any visa if coming off a cruise ship for less than 3 day stay...go to the Visa page for Egypt and if you read far enough you discover you don't need visas' date=' If you do most cruiselines will TELL you so and try to sell them to you.

Foreigners arriving in Egypt on board of ships are granted a permission to visit the port of arrival for 24 hours and catch their ship at the same port. They can also be granted a permission to enter the country for a visit not exceeding a period of 3 days before catching their ship at the port of arrival or at any other port. Quote from the visa site for Egypt

Hi Napi's Mom,

Do you have a URL for this page? The pages I'm finding are not so specific.

Thanks!

Lisa

Hi Napi's Mom,

Do you have a URL for this page? The pages I'm finding are not so specific.

Thanks!

Lisa

Sorry It took so long to reply, haven't been checking this forum as our next cruise is on Celebrity best deal on New Zea/Aust.( not as good a ship tho and all those bloody formal nights) I got that info straight off the US site for visas (Egypt)...just check WAY down the line of provisions and requirements, was near the bottom...I "Copied & Pasted" it straight off the page!:)Just found this website also NOTE article (F) in the "those who do not need visas" section

http://www.learn4good.com/travel/egypt_visa.htm

Sorry It took so long to reply' date=' haven't been checking this forum as our next cruise is on Celebrity best deal on New Zea/Aust.( not as good a ship tho and all those bloody formal nights) I got that info straight off the US site for visas (Egypt)...just check WAY down the line of provisions and requirements, was near the bottom...I "Copied & Pasted" it straight off the page!:)Just found this website also NOTE article (F) in the "those who do not need visas" section

http://www.learn4good.com/travel/egypt_visa.htm[/quote']

Thanks for that! :)

I hope you enjoy your NZ/Aus cruise - we're thinking about that one too.

Lisa

Archived