Alaska-May 2005

gtmerc

Trying to decide which cruise to take. Do we want to see Glacier Bay or the Sawyer Glacier. Princess is our favorite line but have had suggestion from TA to try the NCL Star. Have read on boards that ship is nice but food is okay. I don't like the idea of having to pay extra to go to different resturants and the Star has many of those. Which cruise would you all suggest. Prices are pretty comparable so that is not necessarily a factor.

The Star will do round trip out of Seattle going to Glacier Bay while the Spirit will go round trip out of Seattle doing Sawyer Glacier.

From my research, the concensus (sp?) is go to Glacier Bay. However, there was a big price difference and amenties for the suites on Star vs. Spirit. We originally booked the Star for May 2004 and cancelled it due to having to relocate. We have since rebooked for May 2005 and choose the Spirit because of the price. Alot lower for a suite.

Even though both the Star and Spirit have restaurants that charge extra, they both have main dining areas where there is no charge. From my understanding, most all cruise lines have gone to having some sort of speciality extra charge restaurants in addition to their their regular main dinging rooms.

You'll recieve alot of feedback as to which glacier is better viewing, but in the end, the iteniary you choose should best fit your needs.

Princess doesn't do Glacier Bay on the round trips. My clear preference if sailing out of Vancouver - for more inside passage sailing and Glacier Bay is also my preference. HAL fits both. Any cruise will be a compromise so be certain to look at many factors- ports, time in ports, route, glacier, price.

Archived