Le Petit train

spailing

I am getting mixed up, some threads are advising booking this trip on arrival while others say that P&O book it out when a cruise is in and you have to book through them. What is the truth as I intended to book something else for the morning through P&O and then take the train in the P.M by booking myself at the terminal. Has anyone heard the news that there is an outbreak of dengue fever in New Caledonia, what is affected?

I am getting mixed up, some threads are advising booking this trip on arrival while others say that P&O book it out when a cruise is in and you have to book through them. What is the truth as I intended to book something else for the morning through P&O and then take the train in the P.M by booking myself at the terminal. Has anyone heard the news that there is an outbreak of dengue fever in New Caledonia, what is affected?

If you go to the Aust Govt5smart traveller site

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/TravelBulletins/

you can search for any country latest travel and health warnings

Icy

hi, i dont know about the fever in new caledonia but when we went to noumea we got the shuttle bus into the tourist information and we booked on a shuttle bus which takes you around the island for 1 hour and it cost $15 aussie $$$ and i think they have one in the PM for $30 for two hours and its a lot cheaper than the ship

Hi there! I just did the Le Petit Train tour a few weeks ago.

If you book through P&O you go on the YELLOW train and every seat will have been pre-booked by P&O. The tour goes from the wharf, through town, past some bays and up to a lookout. At the lookout you get pastries and champagne, then back on the train and back to the wharf. It costs around $60 per person. You can't book a seat on this yellow train other than through P&O.

If you wait til you get to Noumea you can book the GREEN train at the wharf for around $20. This tour is identical to the yellow train except you don't get the champagne and pastries. To be honest we paid far too much for what we got! The champagne was terrible and the pastries were stale :mad:

Wait til you get there and book the cheaper one.

Wouldn't be suprised if there was Dengue fever problem in New Caledonia, as we are having one in north Queensland this year.

This came from the ABC News, dated March 4;

New figures show 104 people have been affected by dengue fever in New Caledonia since the start of the year.

An epidemic of the mosquito-borne disease was officially declared last month.

Most of the known cases are concentrated in and around the capital Noum�a, the north-eastern island of Lifou and the Isle of Pines.

Last week, the number of known cases was 72.

In 2003, a dengue epidemic killed up to 20 people in the French Pacific territory.

We've done the Le Petite Train thru P&O as we were told the same thing about P&O booking out all the trains. From memory I think we paid $48 pp. If you drink lots of champers and eat a few pastries (which are yummy) then the money paid isn't tooo bad.

Kerri

We've done the Le Petite Train thru P&O as we were told the same thing about P&O booking out all the trains. From memory I think we paid $48 pp. If you drink lots of champers and eat a few pastries (which are yummy) then the money paid isn't tooo bad.

Kerri

I enjoyed my bit of pastry, but you would still need to drink 5 bottles of that cheap & nasty bubbly to get your moneys worth (and even then it is only because you will have forgot what you paid).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Depending on what you want to see on the petite train, we went everywhere the petite train did except to the lookout for free on the free shuttle bus provided from the wharf to Lemon Bay. Then we walked a pleasant walk following the signs towards the aquarium (which was closed by the time we got there as our cruise arrived in the late afternoon) then continued on to the next bay. We eventually walked back to Lemon Bay along the beach road and had dinner in a very nice French Restaurant across the road from the beach. Then we caught the free shuttle back to the ship. Before going to Lemon Bay we walked around the city for a look around.

Hi,

Depending on what you want to see on the petite train, we went everywhere the petite train did except to the lookout for free on the free shuttle bus provided from the wharf to Lemon Bay. Then we walked a pleasant walk following the signs towards the aquarium (which was closed by the time we got there as our cruise arrived in the late afternoon) then continued on to the next bay. We eventually walked back to Lemon Bay along the beach road and had dinner in a very nice French Restaurant across the road from the beach. Then we caught the free shuttle back to the ship. Before going to Lemon Bay we walked around the city for a look around.

Is this free shuttle bus always available, or only provided because of late arrival \ cancelled tours?

I enjoyed my bit of pastry, but you would still need to drink 5 bottles of that cheap & nasty bubbly .....

We last did this tour in the early 1990's and then because we got it for free as part of a P&O-Sitmar special package.

Geoff, if you are correct and you need to drink 5 bottles to get your money's worth and to "help you forget" then let me assure you our "train" driver must have had 6 bottles or more. He was less than "with us" and slurred his words no end. The bad news is that we didn't realise this until we arrived at the top of that hill where they take you as that is the first time we spoke to him.

We somehow got home safely and all the time we were blaming the construction of the train for the rough ride :eek:

Is this free shuttle bus always available, or only provided because of late arrival \ cancelled tours?

Our February cruise arrived late (closer to 4pm than the scheduled 2pm) so many tours were cancelled. The announcement over the ship's PA was that a free bus would be available because many tours were cancelled. I believe that this bus is put on by the local authorities and P & O only have it available when the ship arrives late.:):)

Archived