Ok Solo Cruisers I Need Your Help!!!

dnice1979

I am looking to go on a cruise in 2010 maybe to europe or somewhere different and memorable by myself of course what do you guys recommend. I have only been on carnival. Which cruise line would be perfect for me.

Here's a little about me so I can be pointed in the right direction!

28 years old I will be 30 by the time I want to cruise

outgoing

This feels like I am writing a personals ad:D

I know you guys will steer me in the right direction!

Thanks in advance

There are tons of options. What do you want? Are there any ports that you're particularly interested in? I would suggest going to a local travel agency, talking with one of the agents, and getting lots of brochures. Read through them, and get a feel for what's involved. You are not at all required to book anything with this agent. But being this will be your first cruise to Europe, I would strongly suggest talking directly with a travel professional just to get a good start on planning your cruise.

I agree with Kitty. Go to your local travel agent and collect brochures for all the major cruise lines. Look thru them specifically for the iteneraries and the ship deck plans. You can tell a lot about the cruise line from their brochures - not everything, but a lot. Plus, of course, you can always visit the various boards here for the different cruise lines.

Are you thinking you want to do something for your 30th birthday? (I'm asking because my 50th is coming up and I'm spending it on a cruise.) If so, then pick a city or country you'd really like to be in. I had a co-worker once who had what was almost a decade-long dream (goal) of waking up on her 40th birthday any place but Silver Spring, Maryland. btw, she woke up on her 40th in Paris!

Go to the library and start looking at travel guides. I suggest the library because if you don't have a specific location in mind, it can start to get spendy pretty quickly buying lots of different books.

I can't really offer anything more specific. I know several 28/30 "outgoing" gals, but there isn't one place or cruise line I would steer them all to. Even, if you wrote a lengthy "personals ad" we still might not have enough info to help you. ;)

You've got time to plan and that helps. Good luck to you!

I agree with Kitty. Go to your local travel agent and collect brochures for all the major cruise lines. Look thru them specifically for the iteneraries and the ship deck plans. You can tell a lot about the cruise line from their brochures - not everything, but a lot. Plus, of course, you can always visit the various boards here for the different cruise lines.

Are you thinking you want to do something for your 30th birthday? (I'm asking because my 50th is coming up and I'm spending it on a cruise.) If so, then pick a city or country you'd really like to be in. I had a co-worker once who had what was almost a decade-long dream (goal) of waking up on her 40th birthday any place but Silver Spring, Maryland. btw, she woke up on her 40th in Paris!

Go to the library and start looking at travel guides. I suggest the library because if you don't have a specific location in mind, it can start to get spendy pretty quickly buying lots of different books.

I can't really offer anything more specific. I know several 28/30 "outgoing" gals, but there isn't one place or cruise line I would steer them all to. Even, if you wrote a lengthy "personals ad" we still might not have enough info to help you. ;)

You've got time to plan and that helps. Good luck to you!

appreciate the replies I will do as you suggested at least I have a place to start did not have that at first.

Thank you

Denice,

Carnival is now doing Europe, and their fares and itineraries look wonderful. Since you like Carnival, that may be a good place to start.

Roz

Denice,

Carnival is now doing Europe, and their fares and itineraries look wonderful. Since you like Carnival, that may be a good place to start.

Roz

It's funny you mentioned that I am looking at itnearies as we speak.

dnice, Mostly I've done local short cruises to Alaska and Mexico (I live in CA) and cruises out of NY when I visit my dad.

I've also thought about doing a longer cruise (say 2 or 3 weeks plus extra time in arrival/departure ports) in the next couple of years. What I've been doing is reading reviews, expecially the virtual reviews. Some cruisers really go all out and do pretty extensive cruise reviews with pictures and great day to day commentary.

I've read cruise reviews about South America, Asia, Austrialia/NZ, and, of course, Europe. The more I read the more I can try and figure out what would work best for me.

I figure on the shorter cruises that itinerary and ship are equally important. On a longer cruise I figure that itinerary is most important to me. Anyway, good luck in your research for your big cruise.

Faith

• 1 month later...

Ive always cruised solo and we are about the same age. I prefer Royal caribbean....not a big focus on drinking as much as the locales. You get all types and ages. Ive done the Western caribbean 3 times, the Southern 2 times and I leave in a month for the Mediterrenean. Ive had nothing but great fun.

Would also think a younger Carnaval cruiser could cross over to Royal Caribbean easily. That said, I would check your to do list for the sites you want to see then use a site like ***** to see who is hitting the ports you want in the time you want to sail. BTW, the particular day a port is hit could affect your tour options, so watch the day of the week.

Have fun and watch out for the gotcha of our near worthless dollar!

• 1 month later...

What interests you in Europe and why? Shopping? History? Art? I'm a museum and cathedral girl, so when I saw the Navigator of the Seas' itinerary (leave from Rome, stops at Sicily, Athens, Turkey and Crete) I knew that was the perfect cruise for me.

Northern Europe cruises cost more than Mediterranean ones. Cruisetours/pre- and post-cruise stays will add to the cost. How close are you to a gateway city that offers trans-Atlantic flights?

What do you like doing on a cruise? Lots of activities on the ship, or lots of days in port? Dress up/dress down/doesn't matter?

Answering those questions will give you a handle on which cruise is best for you. Happy sailing!

dnice, Mostly I've done local short cruises to Alaska and Mexico (I live in CA) and cruises out of NY when I visit my dad.

I've also thought about doing a longer cruise (say 2 or 3 weeks plus extra time in arrival/departure ports) in the next couple of years. What I've been doing is reading reviews, expecially the virtual reviews. Some cruisers really go all out and do pretty extensive cruise reviews with pictures and great day to day commentary.

I've read cruise reviews about South America, Asia, Austrialia/NZ, and, of course, Europe. The more I read the more I can try and figure out what would work best for me.

I figure on the shorter cruises that itinerary and ship are equally important. On a longer cruise I figure that itinerary is most important to me. Anyway, good luck in your research for your big cruise.

Faith

I am consi dering a solo cruise for the first time this July. It is only because of these solo cruise boards that I am considering it. My DH and DD will be in Alaska and I want to do something besides work around the house. I thought it would be crazy and only desperate singles went alone, you all have sure changed my mind and my attitude. Thank you so much.

So, anyways, have you gone on the 3 day Monarch of the Seas out of LA? What is your opinion of that one? Also, what is your opinion of that one for solo cruising? I am looking to just hang out by the pool and read a good book for a couple of days. So, I guess the other question is, do I just consider a nice hotel for a couple of nights to accomplish the same thing?

Linda

Linda, those short cruises on those older ships tend to be wild, party till you barf cruises. People are trying to shove 7 days of partying into three days and things can get much more wild than on a longer cruise. I'm not a huge fan of those short cruises.

Linda, those short cruises on those older ships tend to be wild, party till you barf cruises. People are trying to shove 7 days of partying into three days and things can get much more wild than on a longer cruise. I'm not a huge fan of those short cruises.

That is what I heard. But my DH and I took a 3 nighter in February on Carnival Elation and yes, there were some partiers, but no more so (maybe even less) than the Disney Wonder cruise we took back in March. I don't know if it was the time February vs. July, but I found a huge mix of people.

I am leaning toward a really nice, spa like hotel though.

Linda

Linda,

I haven't been on a really short cruise (3/4 nights) in recent years. Since I have to fly to ports (LA, SD, Seattle, Vancouver) I figure that a 7 night cruise is short enough for me.

Faith

It would make sense for me to fly to LA, but since I am ticked at the airlines nickle and diming us, I am going to make my small statement and drive somewhere.

I do have to either fly or drive to a port. Really no ports in Idaho:D

Linda

Archived