Just Back from Enchantment, now back to reality

Just returned from the Enchantment of the Seas, Cruise ports were Georgetown Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios. We had a great time, pretty good weather and met lots of great people. A short synopsis of the trip: Arrived a day early and spent the day in Ft. Lauderdale at the beach, stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Convetion Center, dinner that night at Grumpy Gators and to bed early. Next morning we missed the shuttle to the pier (it was suppose to leave at 11:00 but was full by 10:15 so they took off). Cabbed it instead and saved money! The shuttle was $8.00 per person (5 of us@ $40.00), our cab ride was $9.10 plus tip! We were so tickled we tipped big! Got on the ship by 12:15 and spent the afternoon exploring the ship, eating, hanging out. It started raining so no sail away party but we had early dinner so didn't mind. Spent a great night aboard, went to show etc. Next day was sea day, spent it by the pool. Lots of families and kids aboard so chairs were at a premium and so many people saved chairs that were not used. Our family of 5 only took 3 as we knew some of us would be up walking around and not needing 5. Other people had huge blocks of chairs that were hardly ever used, it made me sad and mad. Great day at sea, good weather, nice evening. Day 3 was in Grand Cayman, did the stingray city, snorkeling and beach lunch. I've snorkeled several times and this by far was the best. Stingray city will never be forgotten either. Hit Margarittaville on the way back to the ship for some t-shirts. Another nice night on the boat. Day 4 was in Ocho Rios, we'd been before so just went to the straw market and bought some local souvenirs, ate lunch, went to Margarittaville there too and spent some time on the beach. Back to the boat, where the nightlife started all over again! Day 5 at sea started out rough weather wise, rocky water but by early afternoon started to calm down and clear a bit and people seemed to want to enjoy the last day dispite the weather. Nice last night on the cruise. Up early the next day, ate breakfast and disembarked, all went smooth considering the amount of people on board. Back home to now now! I know this is long but I left so much out! Shows, activities, people, the stateroom, etc. Would love to answer any questions you may have! One final note, I missed meeting up with some of the cruisecritic members on my roll call because the times we set didn't work out for me, we were at a show for one of them and my daughter signed us up for a class during the other!

HI! I'm new to the forums. We are taking our first cruise in June. My husband's parents are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary and wanted all of the kids and grandkids to go on a cruise with them. We are sailing on the Enchantment of the Seas from Ft. Lauderdale and will be going to Cozumel and Grand Cayman. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! :)

HI! I'm new to the forums. We are taking our first cruise in June. My husband's parents are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary and wanted all of the kids and grandkids to go on a cruise with them. We are sailing on the Enchantment of the Seas from Ft. Lauderdale and will be going to Cozumel and Grand Cayman. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Ask any questions you would like and I'll try and answer them. It's a great ship for all ages. If you give me your kids ages, I can be more specific on activities for them. Grand Cayman is beautiful. Everyone liked the excursions they took.

Glad you had an enjoyable time! I am leaving on 4-5-08 on EOS and going to Grand Caymen and Cozumel. I'm excited that the Stingray City was fun for you. I hope our trip is just as great as yours!

How was your stateroom? What type was it?

Holly

We had a D1 balcony on the seventh floor port side. I found the bed very comfortable, plenty of storage space. The one thing I was glad I brought was a travel alarm that light up at night as there are no clocks in the rooms. Our stateroom was always made up in a very timely manner. Plenty of room for my hubby and me to move about and sit on the balcony. Ask away if you need more specifics. You will have a great time.

Ask any questions you would like and I'll try and answer them. It's a great ship for all ages. If you give me your kids ages, I can be more specific on activities for them. Grand Cayman is beautiful. Everyone liked the excursions they took.

Thanks so much! Our kids are 5, 6, 8 and 17. Did you snorkel right off the beach or as part of a shore excursion? We would like to do the Stingray City thing, but some of the tours were excluding children under 6. Is it kid-friendly? Do most people book the shore excursions with the cruise line or make arrangements on their own? Is there a big price difference?

Our cabins are quads and we have interior cabins. Do you (or does anyone) know if there will be any room for luggage? Is there room under the bed(s) to store bags?

I admit to dreading the whole cruise thing. I've never been on one before and never even really wanted to go on a cruise. I'm more of a destination kind of gal - I like to go somewhere and stay for a while. I'm also a bit freaky about small spaces and the window-less cabin thing is a little concerning. Any encouraging words would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Shannon

Thanks so much! Our kids are 5, 6, 8 and 17. Did you snorkel right off the beach or as part of a shore excursion? We would like to do the Stingray City thing, but some of the tours were excluding children under 6. Is it kid-friendly? Do most people book the shore excursions with the cruise line or make arrangements on their own? Is there a big price difference?

Our cabins are quads and we have interior cabins. Do you (or does anyone) know if there will be any room for luggage? Is there room under the bed(s) to store bags?

I admit to dreading the whole cruise thing. I've never been on one before and never even really wanted to go on a cruise. I'm more of a destination kind of gal - I like to go somewhere and stay for a while. I'm also a bit freaky about small spaces and the window-less cabin thing is a little concerning. Any encouraging words would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Shannon

We did the snorkel, stingray city, and beach lunch through the cruise line. I hadn't cruised in quite awhile and with the kids I wanted to make sure that all the transfers and timing worked out. Others on these boards swear by booking with private companies and I think that would be fine to as long as they are reputable. Not sure about price difference, I'm sure private is cheaper but I paid the cruise line for my piece of mind. I found the excursions to be very kid friendly. Mine are a bit older, 12, 15 & 17 but there were other younger ones on board. We snorkeled at the barrier reef which is out in the middle of the water, very beautiful, always a boat crew member floating around with us and I saw one little girl out on "tube" as she was a little freaked by the snorkeling. Stingray city was great. Some people opted to stay in the boat and look from there most of us were in the water right with them and it was an awesome experience.

Can't speak on the interior cabin questions. There should be room under the bed. I'm sure others on this board will answer, they are very helpful.

I think you'll enjoy cruising if you let yourself. You are really in your cabin a short amount of time and the ship IS the desitination, the ports are the frosting on the cake. It truly is a floating city with plenty to do or not do.

The kids your's ages seem to really enjoy the Ocean Adventure activities. The 17 y/o will need to meet travelers the same age and hang out with them. Mine all met kids the first night and have exchanged emails, IM's and facebook pages since being home.

Thanks!

Shannon

I have been on a few cruises now (One just last month :-) But I remember when I did booked my first cruise I was told by friends that had cruised before as well as watching travel shows on TV that "IF" and that is the key word "IF" you can afford an oceanview cabin no matter what deck it's on even if it's "OV" category without an assignment of cabin # at time of booking. (Which is what I did on my first) It would be so worth it as having somthing as simple as a window can make such a feeling of NON-confinment not to mention it is MUCH easier to gage time with the sun coming up and going down. The oceanviews are a little larger as well for the little ones. Now don't get me wrong as their are people here at C/C that are Die hards for inside cabins and I respect that. They like that they can sleep in till 11:00am and their room is still pitch black (With the little ones I don't think you will be so lucky :-) I happen to be one of those that happens to believe that a cabin IS A VERY IMPORTANT part of your cruise experience and "IF" (theirs that word again:eek: ) You can afford an oceanview I would recommend it ESPECIALLY if this is your first cruise and the one that you will base all chances of future cruises on.. Also good advice as this is your first cruise, The longer you wait to make changes to a reservation the higher the prices go as the cruise gets closer. Who knows ? After this cruise, You may be saving for that Balcony room for your next cruise like so many of us !:D I will be on the Enchantment this August with my son(8) She does look to be a great ship. I hope you enjoy it.:)

I have been on a few cruises now (One just last month :-) But I remember when I did booked my first cruise I was told by friends that had cruised before as well as watching travel shows on TV that "IF" and that is the key word "IF" you can afford an oceanview cabin no matter what deck it's on even if it's "OV" category without an assignment of cabin # at time of booking. (Which is what I did on my first) It would be so worth it as having somthing as simple as a window can make such a feeling of NON-confinment not to mention it is MUCH easier to gage time with the sun coming up and going down. The oceanviews are a little larger as well for the little ones. Now don't get me wrong as their are people here at C/C that are Die hards for inside cabins and I respect that. They like that they can sleep in till 11:00am and their room is still pitch black (With the little ones I don't think you will be so lucky :-) I happen to be one of those that happens to believe that a cabin IS A VERY IMPORTANT part of your cruise experience and "IF" (theirs that word again:eek: ) You can afford an oceanview I would recommend it ESPECIALLY if this is your first cruise and the one that you will base all chances of future cruises on.. Also good advice as this is your first cruise, The longer you wait to make changes to a reservation the higher the prices go as the cruise gets closer. Who knows ? After this cruise, You may be saving for that Balcony room for your next cruise like so many of us !:D I will be on the Enchantment this August with my son(8) She does look to be a great ship. I hope you enjoy it.:)

I think this is good advice. I've never stayed in an interior cabin but have peeked in when the doors have been open. They do seem a bit cramped and with kids I think that if you can afford the upgrade I would go for an outside cabin. Even having a window and not a balcony would open the space up a bit and make it seem larger than it is.

Thanks to everyone for all the great advice! We did try to upgrade to a cabin with a window a few months ago, but, alas, they were all taken. :( A cabin with a balcony would have doubled the price of the cruise for us, something we just cannot afford.

I think we will book the Stringray City excursion that is age appropriate for our children. I would love to snorkel the reef. My husband and I went snorkeling for the first time last August in Kauai and it was an amazing experience!! We are excited to snorkel in the Caribbean as everyone we have talked to says it is much better than Hawaii.

I'm sure I'll be bugging all of you with more questions as our departure date nears. This seems like a really great community and I'm excited to be a part of it!

Archived