Wrong room, wrong time

TPC747

my youngest son, (10) at the time, was staying in the cabin next to ours with his great grandmother. At 2am he gets up to go to the restroom, of course all the lights were out in the cabin, he turns the wrong way coming out of the bathroom & out the cabin door he goes. He goes TWO floors down to exactly the same room number, except, obviously, TWO floors down, beats on the door to be let back in & to HIS surprise as well as the strangers answering his GGma's cabin, he wakes completely up in only his whitey tighties, excuses himself, and finds his way back to his cabin, two floors up! SCAREY:eek: Needless to say, he now stays with us, behind a dead bolted door, with a night light on!

When I was about 9 years old, I was on a cruise with my parents when I got the munchies at night. This being Carnival, they have the 24 hour pizza. My parents gave me a lot of freedom as a kid, I was one of those latch-key kids, so I would always be home on my own for a few hours, I walked to and from school by myself by that time, etc. So my parents had no problem letting me go up a few decks by myself to get pizza. I eat my pizza, and then take the stairs back down to our room, which was somewhere at the bottom of the ship. I guess I must have gotten a bit confused, because I ended up on the wrong floor. I go to what I thought was my room, but the key wasn't working. So I start knocking on the door, calling for my mom. Finally, somebody opens the door and it's not my mom, and not my dad! That's when I realized I was on the wrong floor. I apologized, and got out of there. I don't think he was too mad though, or at least, I hope not.

People left their door ajar while making love and you were too dumb to notice them when you came in? I believe you made this up.

I think you either misread or misinterpreted the quoted post. Maybe you should reread it?? :(

This didn't happen on a cruise but apparently an electrical "surge" can cause hotel door locks to revert to the "unlocked" position. My family had a room at a hotel next door to my brother's family. When they returned (after us) one night, my 5 year old nephew ran ahead to the room, and turned the door knob, and it just opened.

Being the practical joker that he is, my brother came to our room, and opened the door, even though the "inside lock" was locked! Luckily I had the the bar-chain thing closed so he didn't get all the way in the room, but still, it was scary enough, since everyone else was asleep, and I was getting clothes ready for the next day.

The front desk just had to re-set the system. I still can't believe that they had no idea it had occurred...think of the liability issues involved if the doors won't lock at all?

The story about their key working in another room's door made me think of this!

Once I was on the toilet when the steward came in to clean-he did not know I was there- as I had left and then returned afew minutes later as I needed to go- I had left the bathroom door open-since I was alone in the cabin. I won't do THAT again.

I always fear that this might happen to me on a cruise! At least you can have a good laugh about it if it does happen.

Note: Hotel doors are battery powered, not wired. When they die, they die locked.

And these are all the reasons we decorate our cabin door :p

I usually put up my Cruise Critic member sign. It also helps the service be a little better. I think they are afraid that I will write bad reviews. :D:D

In January of 2009, we were on the NCL Spirit. On our first night on the ship we were exploring around. We found a door that was labled "EXIT." We walked through it and found a set of stairs which were very different from the carpeted stairs we were used to using. After descending a couple of floors we passed an open door and saw several stewards loading up their carts for that evening's turn-down service. We finally realized that we were probably in a restricted area. We quickly found a door to a common area and left. We all got a good laugh and told our other friends over dinner that night.

This didn't happen on a cruise but apparently an electrical "surge" can cause hotel door locks to revert to the "unlocked" position. My family had a room at a hotel next door to my brother's family. When they returned (after us) one night, my 5 year old nephew ran ahead to the room, and turned the door knob, and it just opened.

Being the practical joker that he is, my brother came to our room, and opened the door, even though the "inside lock" was locked! Luckily I had the the bar-chain thing closed so he didn't get all the way in the room, but still, it was scary enough, since everyone else was asleep, and I was getting clothes ready for the next day.

The front desk just had to re-set the system. I still can't believe that they had no idea it had occurred...think of the liability issues involved if the doors won't lock at all?

The story about their key working in another room's door made me think of this!

By code, electronic locks must be either "fail-safe" or "fail-secure", and must meet Underwriters Labratory (UL) standards.

That means that in a power outage, or failure, they are either locked or unlocked. "Fail-safe" locks are typically found on hallways and stairwells. (They need to be unlocked in the event of failure.) Most other doors will have "fail-secure" hardware. If the lock battery dies, or there is a power failure, a menchanical mechanism takes over, and locks the door.

Now, this is not to state that an electrified "fail-secure" lock cannot fail and remain in the unlocked state, it just means that it would be an extremely unlikey occurance....(kinda like someone getting struck by lightning, right after winning the lottery!)

• 1 year later...
has anyone walked into the wrong room at the wrong time?..i did...on a carnival cruise ..the door was ajar, i thougt it was mine..not!!! It walked out to the balcony and i was there for some time before i heard...some noise...they noticed me first and then i realized that i was in the wrong room...oops and wow:d :eek: :eek:

Luckily there was only two nights left and at least we got to meet the neighbors and we all got a good laugh out of it.

omg!!

Archived