Galveston - Case of Water Checked?

poohs4me

If you do a search on the Royal Caribbean thread, you can find several posts such as this:

The water is desalinated using an evaporator, it's <50 ppb TDS (parts per billion total dissolved solids) and is degassed as well, that's why some people don't like the taste of it, because it is flat. They add chlorine to it because it's required by law. If you're not asking for a low sodium diet, then you're most likely getting a lot more salt in the food than you're used to. I can speak from experience, both having run and supervised the operation of sea water evaporators in the Navy and observed and spoken to several ship's engineers about the operation of the evaps on RCL cruise ships. The water they produce is much more pure than bottled or your tap. Believe it or not! Hope it helps. OBTW, they don't use the RO machines except as backup, they heat the water in the evaps with waste heat from the diesel exhaust, which would otherwise be wasted, and the RO requires electrical input to operate, requiring more fuel.

The RO referred to is reverse osmosis which we have in our home and we have been told that our drinking water is superior to bottled. Of course, that was probably by the person selling the water treatment system? ;)

Our last royal carribean cruise we had a case of water with a luggage tag and they would not let us bring it on. They said it had to be in a suitcase. This happened to everyone we saw on the cruise. Also in ports any opened bottles of water they had to check.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from the 3/30 Voyager OTS - great cruise!. Two of us in our group stuck luggage tags on two cases of water - both were delivered no problem.

Re: water taste. The water served in the dining rooms, WJ etc tasted fine. But for whatever reason, the water in the staterooms had a distinct dirty metallic taste:confused: . Not very pleasant to these tastebuds, so I was glad I brought the bottled water onboard. My DW gave chided me a little for brining extra stuff, but she too was glad I brought the water.

Have a great cruise!

• 3 weeks later...

I just got off the Conquest 4/20/08 sailing and I know first hand that they make you bust up your case of water and put the individual bottles inside your checked luggage.

I took two cases of Diet Dr Pepper and I knew before hand that this was allowed. I used 2" packing tape all over the box and slapped a luggage tag on it. Upon arrival at the cruise terminal, I was informed that we could only hand carry the Dr Pepper aboard and would not be able to check it.:eek: Since I'm a die hard Pepper addict and I knew they don't sell Dr Pepper onboard, we hand carried the two cases along with our regular hand luggage.:rolleyes: We were exhausted by the time we boarded because we got caught in the huge embarkation line, but it was worth it.

Could have sold my Diet Dr Peppers for $5 can!

Archived