Best place for Caribbean rum?

kaphkoe

Coming in 2 weeks on a Sunday afternoon to Philipsburg. Our cruise includes islands like St. Lucia, Antigua, Martinique, Tortola and Dominican Republic. I would like to take a bottle each of their local rum back home as souvenir (and for medical purposes:D).

What would be the one place in St. Maarten to find all the different brands? (Customs duty is not an issue.) Have been googling and searching the forum but don't seem to find much.

Please help!

I don't think any rum at all is produced on the island, but if you need a souvenier, I would think that some Ma Doudou is essential. Possibly Rum Jumbie Liqueur (the island's Flagship rum), and perhaps some Guavaberry Liqueur.

th_DSCN1372.jpg

(click)

That said, liquor prices are extremely low, and you'll find representative rums from across the Caribbean. You'll see all of the products mentioned above almost anywhere you shop, but for the best selection of high-end rums I will offer you two choices:

Gulmohar's, on Front Street next to McDonalds (they often have tastings available and they have the airbags), and the Philipsburg Liquor Store, located on the main road just past the Cruise Facility main gate (a few hundred yards). It was the first St. Maarten liquor store, and home of Rum Jumbie.

gary

Gary,

thanks a lot, exactly the kind of information I've been hoping for.

I've seen Gulmohar's also sells cigars. I have been thinking of 'Cigar Emporium' for some Dominican cigars. Are these shops comparable or would you prefer one over the other?

Best regards from sunny Austria.

Helmut

Try Rams on the front street in Phillipsburg. They have a wide selection and great prices and will deliver to the ship. In Marigot ther Match supermarket has rhums from Martinique (Trois Rivers) and other islands. On Grand Cayman, the Tortole rum shop across from the pier has a wide selection from many islands including the local "Big Black Dick". They all seem to cary the DR rum. I don't think that Antigua has a local rum but on St. Lucia, the shop at the pier sells Chairman's Reserve which is a great rum. ,

I usually choose the older rums that are a bit more expensive but have distinct flavors. Avoid 151 as most airlines won't let you bring it on board and it rarely tastes good, just strong. I don't but white rum as they all taste like RonRico or Bacardi.

Buy your cigars at Gulmohar's while you are booze shopping. They sell authentic Cuban cigars, and will take the bands off if you are worried about customs. Don't waste your money on Dominican cigars in the islands, as you can buy them in the states just as cheap.

Gulmohar's always lets us try the booze before we buy. Great customer service!

Buy your cigars at Gulmohar's while you are booze shopping. They sell authentic Cuban cigars, and will take the bands off if you are worried about customs. Don't waste your money on Dominican cigars in the islands, as you can buy them in the states just as cheap.

Gulmohar's always lets us try the booze before we buy. Great customer service!

Thanks for the tip with the rum-tasting.

As for the cigars, I have been to Cuba last year and stocked up on Cohibas and Partagas there. That's why this time I was thinking of Dominicans. Will be bringing them back to Europe and they are quite expensive here in Austria. But maybe change my mind when I see the prices in the shops.

My observation is that popular brand name rums are slightly less expensive in St Martin than other islands.

To elaborate a little on previous reply: the guavaberry rum (sweet for my taste) and guavaberry liqueur are ONLY made on St Martin, and not found elsewhere.

MaDoudou makes infused rums that are quite lovely after a meal as they tend to be sweet too. Some of the ingredients are cinamon, ginger, citrus peel, baby banana, vanilla, and some are exotic and unknown to me.

My absolute facvorite rums are the "rhum agricole" -- Martinique is the mecca for those. However, I have found good selections of French Caribbean rhum on French side of St Martin. Montebello rum from Guadeloupe is floral and makes a dynamite TI PUNCH.

Cavalier brand rum is distilled in Antigua. I've never seen it in the USA. It's a little smokey tasting, but I would not call it "ultra-premium."

Archived