Manzanillo Las Hadas information

michelle2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All-

We finally have a rainy day here in Manzanillo so I am taking time to get caught up on some e-mail. It has been 85-90 with high humidity so the reain is a welcome break. It's amazing how quickly everything blooms after just one downpour. When you aer here in the winter months, the mountains will be all brown, but now they are lush and tropical. If you can handle the heat, this is a beautiful time of year. As far as December is concerned, the week of Christmas and the week after are EXTREMELY busy- the Guadalajarans invade and it is crazy. It is even more crazy the week before and week after Easter. If you like a beach party- those are the times to be here! Most of the "gringos" leave during this time, but I think it's fun.

Anyway- there was a surfing contest this past weekend at Playa Las Olas that was attended by hundreds of surfers. It was fun tho see Mexican kids with bleach blonde surfer hair or dreads! The waves were fantastic, I noticed today that the red flag is out but people are still surfing. If you want to surf, that's the place to go. In fact, here are my recommendations for a port stop: (if you aren't doing a ship excursion)

1- If you are not familiar with Mexico or are not comfortable dealing with taxis, etc. go to Las Hadas for the day. They will take care of everything for you and the area is very nice.

2- If you have a bit more knowledge or a sense of adventure, go to either Playa Las Olas or Playa Miramar. These beaches are on the opposite side of the city from the port, but depending on your bargaining abilities, it should be approx $25 for the taxi (and no tipping)and will take about 20 minutes. You could get out at Las Olas and find an umbrella for the day, or just start walking and see what you find. That stretch goes on forever and there are various places with umbrellas, restaurants, craft market, etc. It took us over an hour to walk the length without stopping.

Otherwise, go to Club Santiago (where we live) to the Oasis Beach club. Right now they are only open Thurs-Sun, but wil be open everyday in the winter. No problem if they aren't open, you can just start walking and find La Boquita, which is a series of palapa covered restaurants at the end of the beach (my favorite is Marlindo's- second form the far end) There are also vendors who are willing to bargain on lots of handcrafts. The vendors are only there on weekends in the summer, I'm not sure about winter.

This is a great area for kids as the surf is really calm.

That's all for now- feel free to ask more questions, if the rain keeps up- I will continue to answer!

Karfest - Thanks so much for posting. We'll be watching for any information you can provide. I've read about a beach called Audencia (spelling ?) that is fairly near the port. Any information on that one?

• 1 month later...

If he wants to go on snorkeling on his own without a tour group or boat, the best place is at Playa Miramar. Have the taxi take you to Club Santiago and ask to go to La Boquita. There is a shipwreck just offshore that he can walk to. Some days there are hundreds of fish all over it.

Otherwise, look into a snorkeling excursion at www.gomanzanillo.com. They will take you out from Playa Miramar to some excellent snorkeling areas in the bay. I am always amazed at how clear the water is and how many beautiful fish are out there. All I ever see washed up on the beach are dead jellyfish and some nasty looking carp-type fish!

It seems like you have to buy the day pass. There is a security shack that you pass through while still in the taxi. That is where you pay for the day pass. Since we didn't ask that specific question, I guess I am hesitant to say that they wouldn't let you do it, but I'd be surprised.

OK, little known fact... Las Hadas has a marina. Access to the marina is through the same guard gate you passed through. What you tell the taxi driver and the guard is that you are boarding a boat in in the marina. They won't charge you the access fee for the use of Las Hadas. Once at Las Hadas, appear like you know where you are as a regular guest, find the pool and stake your claim of beach chairs or whatever. Downside on this approach is you don't receive coupons and will have to use cash for all your purchases. You will spend about the same as coupons with food and drinks and more. To answer question on taxi charge there and back...taxis at the port cost more because they have permit through their company. Taxis outside of port fence costs less. Taxi ride back is always less as these are not port taxis.

Hi All-

We finally have a rainy day here in Manzanillo so I am taking time to get caught up on some e-mail. It has been 85-90 with high humidity so the reain is a welcome break. It's amazing how quickly everything blooms after just one downpour. When you aer here in the winter months, the mountains will be all brown, but now they are lush and tropical. If you can handle the heat, this is a beautiful time of year. As far as December is concerned, the week of Christmas and the week after are EXTREMELY busy- the Guadalajarans invade and it is crazy. It is even more crazy the week before and week after Easter. If you like a beach party- those are the times to be here! Most of the "gringos" leave during this time, but I think it's fun.

Anyway- there was a surfing contest this past weekend at Playa Las Olas that was attended by hundreds of surfers. It was fun tho see Mexican kids with bleach blonde surfer hair or dreads! The waves were fantastic, I noticed today that the red flag is out but people are still surfing. If you want to surf, that's the place to go. In fact, here are my recommendations for a port stop: (if you aren't doing a ship excursion)

1- If you are not familiar with Mexico or are not comfortable dealing with taxis, etc. go to Las Hadas for the day. They will take care of everything for you and the area is very nice.

2- If you have a bit more knowledge or a sense of adventure, go to either Playa Las Olas or Playa Miramar. These beaches are on the opposite side of the city from the port, but depending on your bargaining abilities, it should be approx $25 for the taxi (and no tipping)and will take about 20 minutes. You could get out at Las Olas and find an umbrella for the day, or just start walking and see what you find. That stretch goes on forever and there are various places with umbrellas, restaurants, craft market, etc. It took us over an hour to walk the length without stopping.

Otherwise, go to Club Santiago (where we live) to the Oasis Beach club. Right now they are only open Thurs-Sun, but wil be open everyday in the winter. No problem if they aren't open, you can just start walking and find La Boquita, which is a series of palapa covered restaurants at the end of the beach (my favorite is Marlindo's- second form the far end) There are also vendors who are willing to bargain on lots of handcrafts. The vendors are only there on weekends in the summer, I'm not sure about winter.

This is a great area for kids as the surf is really calm.

That's all for now- feel free to ask more questions, if the rain keeps up- I will continue to answer!

My husband is in a wheelchair can he get to the pool area of the Las Hadas resort? He would be happy to hang out there and enjoy the view.

Are do you have any other suggestions.

Karen

Thanks for the info. We are on Spirit in Oct coming to Manzanillo.

You mentioned Playa Las Olas and Playa Miramar doe either have jet ski rentals? do they have resturants you can get drinks , nachos, snacks, etc? are they good spots for kids that like to play at the beach?

How is the deep sea fishing in Mexico?

we are visiting acapulco, manzanillo, pv,ixtapa? any tips my husband and son want to fish at one of the stops???

Thanks

• 1 month later...
My husband is in a wheelchair can he get to the pool area of the Las Hadas resort? He would be happy to hang out there and enjoy the view.

Are do you have any other suggestions.

Karen

Hi Karen,

I never saw where anyone answered this question for you. I was doing some reading on Trip Advisor and came across this post -- maybe it will give you an idea....

We day visited & I seriously doubt it is very wheel chair friendly. Steps & cobblestones every where.

Unfortunately Mexico in general is not very handicap friendly.

I wonder if there is a toll free number you might call the hotel directly to ask? It would be a shame not to be able to enjoy the facilities for that day. I also have heard that Carnival uses Las Hadas as their resort excursion on some of their trips -- wonder if the Cruise Director could help you out? You could call and get his/her email to ask before you go.

Thanks for your help, I have a strong feeling my DH will not be able to go, but he said I should go and he will stay on the ship. So i think my friends and I will enjoy our time there.

Karen

Archived