I'm depressed; went to Disney instead

summercruisin'

For the past few years' date=' my DH and I have cruised during the summer for our "big" vacation (paid for by tax refund and savings all year). Well, last year we didn't go because we had a much-prayed for and wanted baby (no complaints there :) ), and this year, we took our DS (6 years old) and DD (11 months now) to Disney over Spring break instead. It was fun and all, but [b']it just didn't compare in any way to cruising[/b]. :( Now I'm sad. I gave up this year's chance to cruise. AND, since DH got demoted on the job right before DD was born, and at the same time, our monthly expenses went up, we have no idea when we'll get to cruise again. Somebody help me quit feeling so blue and so spoiled all at the same time...

Outside of a cruise, Disney is my next favoite place to go.

Count your blessings that your DH still has a job and that you have kids to enjoy. Times are tough and vacations don't get priority over day to day life....bills. I didn't take my first cruise until I was 44 and still couldn't really afford it. I'm going on my second cruise in 2 weeks and still really couldn't afford it. My kids take a lot of money to clothe, feed, etc and they are the priority in my life. Soon they will be living their lives and DH & I can cruise a little more often:D

For the past few years' date=' my DH and I have cruised during the summer for our "big" vacation (paid for by tax refund and savings all year). Well, last year we didn't go because we had a much-prayed for and wanted baby (no complaints there :) ), and this year, we took our DS (6 years old) and DD (11 months now) to Disney over Spring break instead. It was fun and all, but [b']it just didn't compare in any way to cruising[/b]. :( Now I'm sad. I gave up this year's chance to cruise. AND, since DH got demoted on the job right before DD was born, and at the same time, our monthly expenses went up, we have no idea when we'll get to cruise again. Somebody help me quit feeling so blue and so spoiled all at the same time...

For what it's worth, I think you made the right choice in going to Disney with a 6-year old and a baby. But that depends who the vacation is for. If the vacation if for your 6-year old, then Disney is better. If it's for you, it sounds like you would prefer a cruise. Up until my kids were 8 & 6, we did the Orlando theme parks and combined it with a few beach days in Siesta Key (Sarasota). We stayed in nice beach condos and in resort condos (Sheraton Vistana) near the theme parks too. I would never give back the looks on my kids faces at Sea World, the various Disney parks, or Universal for anything in the world just like I am very happy they have gotten to experience different islands, excursions, and learning to snorkle the past three years. I hope you get over your misery.

I feel for you.. I live 20 minutes from Disney and am fortunate enough to have annual passes. That being said, I only visit Disney about 3 months out of the year because of the crowds and heat. I am looking forward to my first cruise next month.. I know it's a different type of vacation but that's why I'm so excited about it.. Just the face that all the meals are taken care of and included in the price is so worth it to me..

Keep your head up.. You will cruise again.. Congrats on your new little blessing..

We went to Disney last year for the first time with our 6 and 7 year old children. We had fun, but we all agreed we MUCH prefer cruising. I thought the kids might feel Disney was a lot more fun, but after the trip was over they said they might want to go back "in 3 or 4 years" lol. They have so much fun at Camp Carnival and on the cruise in general that they felt it was better than Disney. Go figure! I feel lucky, as I'd rather drive 15 minutes from our house to the cruise terminal than 11 hours to Disney! Plus, we find cruising much more relaxing. We bought 10 day Disney passes on special and paid a fortune to have them not expire, so we'll probably get 2 more trips to Disney out of those cards - but we're going to space those trips out quite a bit. We're thinking of going in 2 years, then again in 5 or 6 years. Nice thing is that we'll save lots of money by having those passes, so we won't have to spend too much money! I'm thinking of maybe adding a cruise out of Tampa to our next Disney trip, so we can relax after all the hustle and bustle of the parks.

gift of life. Meaning .....go look in the mirror....America is laying people off all over........people can not afford to feed thier kids.......lights getting cut off.......etc.............you just came off VACATION...........you have a HEALTHY BABY!!!!!!!! Not to sound mean..........COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS.......get a jar...label it cruise money......and save a little at a time.......but do not get down.....there are people who do not know where the rent is coming from.........just look at your life now...husband, 2 kids.....and you all woke up healthy this morning.......life could be worse........

Rowan555: I don't know what time of year you plan on vacationing back at Disney but if you could swing it to come in September/October or January/February the crowds are much better. I had relatives come down over their Easter break from Ohio and they went to Disney and waited an hour to an hour and a half on most rides and they said it was shoulder to shoulder but it's the only time they could come.

The cruise/disney combo sounds like a fun idea.. Just make sure to book the cruise after Disney so you can relax and recover.. ;)

Rowan555: I don't know what time of year you plan on vacationing back at Disney but if you could swing it to come in September/October or January/February the crowds are much better. I had relatives come down over their Easter break from Ohio and they went to Disney and waited an hour to an hour and a half on most rides and they said it was shoulder to shoulder but it's the only time they could come.

The cruise/disney combo sounds like a fun idea.. Just make sure to book the cruise after Disney so you can relax and recover.. ;)

It wasn't too bad when we went - last week of April last year - but next time we're going to try for October, definitely. I'm thinking maybe 2010. I asked the kids if they would like to go next year and they said, "no thanks" lol - go figure! Now if I tell them we can go to Disney for 3 days then take a cruise, they might change their minds!!!

You are all so great! :o Thanks. I think I'm off my pity-party now. I am feeling exceptionally blessed to have two healthy kids who really enjoyed the magic of Disney (a once-in-a-lifetime trip for many people) and that I am healthy and, well, wealthy, enough to do have done that with them, despite the financial and personal setbacks we've been through over the past years. AND I'm reminded that when it comes to saving up for a cruise, every little bit helps. ;) I'll start putting away a little at a time and hopefully DH and I can enjoy at least a short cruise before too long. Having two little ones around makes time fly really quickly anyway...it will be time to cruise again before I know it, I'm sure (and, boy, will I be happy! :D )

Happy cruising to you all, and for you Disney lovers...tell Mickey "hi" for me next time you go!

I feel your pain! I love Disney, don't get me wrong - my older two (now 22 & 19) virtually grew up there. But we haven't gone a lot lately and my 11 year old wanted to go - so we were there over spring break too - crazy getting up at 7am to get to the parks to avoid lines. It was fun but not as great as a cruise - I was exhausted when I came home.

Looking forward to our cruise in October.

[quote name='juliew']I feel your pain! I love Disney, don't get me wrong - my older two (now 22 & 19) virtually grew up there. But we haven't gone a lot lately and my 11 year old wanted to go - so we were there over spring break too - crazy getting up at 7am to get to the parks to avoid lines. It was fun but not as great as a cruise - I was exhausted when I came home.

Looking forward to our cruise in October.[/quote]

Yeah, that whole rubbing elbows with a million people while waiting forever to ride something as simple as the Peter Pan ride...I just didn't get it. I, too, was completely worn out when we got home, especially after a 13 hour drive with a car-sick kid. Ugh. I wish I could have gone another time, but I teach, so spring break and summer are really my only options. I kept thinking, "I gave up lazy days by the Caribbean for this?" :( Enjoy your October cruise!

Archived