I'm depressed; went to Disney instead

summercruisin'

For the past few years, my DH and I have cruised during the summer for our "big" vacation (paid for by tax refund and savings all year). Well, last year we didn't go because we had a much-prayed for and wanted baby (no complaints there :) ), and this year, we took our DS (6 years old) and DD (11 months now) to Disney over Spring break instead. It was fun and all, but it just didn't compare in any way to cruising. :( Now I'm sad. I gave up this year's chance to cruise. AND, since DH got demoted on the job right before DD was born, and at the same time, our monthly expenses went up, we have no idea when we'll get to cruise again. Somebody help me quit feeling so blue and so spoiled all at the same time...

I know that Disney's not as great as a cruise, but you did get to go to Disney!!! There are lots of people that never get the chance to go to the land of Mickey, and you were able to bring your wonderful family to a magical place this year. Don't feel bad about missing a cruise, instead look at all of the photos that you took of Disney and re-live the good times you had.

Also, think about how quickly your life has changed in the past year. It can change again, just as quickly, for the better in the next 12 months! Who knows, your hubby might get a promotion and/or you might find a really great deal on a cruise! (Check out Costa...kids sail FREE!)

Good luck and keep your chin up!

Disney must have been magical for your 6 year old...and fun for the 11 month old too. Frame some great character shots of your whole family and remember how awesome Disney is...maybe make a scrap book and include special things you did each day (character meals, shows etc). Now, even though it may take some time....you will certainly cruise again. AND...you will cruise at a time when it is easier for you and your DH with your youngest child...everything happens for a reason. I wish you and your family the best.

Count your blessings and squirrel a little money away here and there. It will eventually add up... and then you can take your cruise. It'll be more fun for the family when the baby is a little older anyway. Enjoy what you have. The cruise ships aren't disappearing... they will just be bigger and better when you can cruise again!

Aww, y'all are great (and quick!). I DO feel especially blessed to have the new little one, as we suffered several losses and thought we were going to lose her as well before finally welcoming her into the world. I also feel blessed to have been able to take them to Disney, and DS did indeed love it, DD too. But, boy do I miss cruising. Disney just didn't compare as a vacation. YET...I feel spoiled for being down about it! Thanks for the reminders about what is important, and that the cruise ships will still be there...we will certainly cruise again! Until then, I'll just have to keep living vicariously through the boards! Thanks again!

For the past few years' date=' my DH and I have cruised during the summer for our "big" vacation (paid for by tax refund and savings all year). Well, last year we didn't go because we had a much-prayed for and wanted baby (no complaints there :) ), and this year, we took our DS (6 years old) and DD (11 months now) to Disney over Spring break instead. It was fun and all, but [b']it just didn't compare in any way to cruising[/b]. :( Now I'm sad. I gave up this year's chance to cruise. AND, since DH got demoted on the job right before DD was born, and at the same time, our monthly expenses went up, we have no idea when we'll get to cruise again. Somebody help me quit feeling so blue and so spoiled all at the same time...

Hey summercruisin' - I feel you ... we went to Disney last year cause we really wanted to take the kids - but knew that would be a one time trip for us because of the expense and because of the destination itself. While we all had a good time and great family memories (and I wouldnt trade it for the world) - I dont think I will ever go back there again. That just wasnt my idea of vacation. This summer we are cruisin again - and without the kids even! So, I know EXACTLY how you feel girl!

Anyhow - think of these things as alternatives: 1) Have a cruise fund where you can save even just a little bit each month - $50 and then watch for last minute cruise specials. 2) Schedule a cruise far enough out into the future that you can afford to pay a little on it each month.

BTW, Congrats on the new baby - things will work itself out, you'll see!

Steph

Now I'm sad. I gave up this year's chance to cruise. AND' date=' since DH got demoted on the job right before DD was born, and at the same time, our monthly expenses went up, we have no idea when we'll get to cruise again. ..[/quote']

Everyone in life goes through their low points and this is your time, you can not get lower then this so from now on things will pick up and life will get better.

Fred

Hey summercruisin' - I feel you ... we went to Disney last year cause we really wanted to take the kids - but knew that would be a one time trip for us because of the expense and because of the destination itself. While we all had a good time and great family memories (and I wouldnt trade it for the world) - I dont think I will ever go back there again. That just wasnt my idea of vacation. This summer we are cruisin again - and without the kids even! So, I know EXACTLY how you feel girl!

Anyhow - think of these things as alternatives: 1) Have a cruise fund where you can save even just a little bit each month - $50 and then watch for last minute cruise specials. 2) Schedule a cruise far enough out into the future that you can afford to pay a little on it each month.

BTW, Congrats on the new baby - things will work itself out, you'll see!

Steph

Thanks, Steph. Sounds like you know where I'm coming from. We did the Disney thing for the kids, and I just didn't feel like I was on vacation in any way. I may have to put away just a bit here and there and take a REAL vacation (kid-free) as soon as possible :D whenever that may be!

Everyone in life goes through their low points and this is your time, you can not get lower then this so from now on things will pick up and life will get better.

Fred

Unfortunately, I know from experience, that things can indeed get lower. In fact, these are good days compared to years past...to avoid blah, blah, blahing about too many depressing issues, let's just say the past few years have really sucked...but I'm the type to keep my head up and keep going no matter what. That's why I'm a little down on myself for being so dissatisfied even while lucky enough to take my kids to Disney. Here's hoping for better days soon!

For the past few years' date=' my DH and I have cruised during the summer for our "big" vacation (paid for by tax refund and savings all year). Well, last year we didn't go because we had a much-prayed for and wanted baby (no complaints there :) ), and this year, we took our DS (6 years old) and DD (11 months now) to Disney over Spring break instead. It was fun and all, but [b']it just didn't compare in any way to cruising[/b]. :( Now I'm sad. I gave up this year's chance to cruise. AND, since DH got demoted on the job right before DD was born, and at the same time, our monthly expenses went up, we have no idea when we'll get to cruise again. Somebody help me quit feeling so blue and so spoiled all at the same time...

Life happens. :(

Our first cruise was in 1990, and we didn't get to cruise again until 2003.

Fred

Fred's right :) (just don't ask him to post any pictures FTLOG :eek:)

:D I am in the exact opposite situation..die hard disney fan..been going every year since my little one was 2. Hubby is burnt out and wants to cruise this year...I am very very very excited to go on our first cruise but a piece of me is feeling sad we will be missing Disney this year....I am hoping once I cruise I will not ever want to do disney again LOL

Hey i am laidoff and still using tax check and tax rebate to cruise.Call me stupid or crazy but you can pay alittle every month and still make a cruise we have already paid about a 1000 so far and cant wait to finish paying it off.Igave up alt of things but not cruising.

:D I am in the exact opposite situation..die hard disney fan..been going every year since my little one was 2. Hubby is burnt out and wants to cruise this year...I am very very very excited to go on our first cruise but a piece of me is feeling sad we will be missing Disney this year....I am hoping once I cruise I will not ever want to do disney again LOL

Cruise on disney then we did and it was better than disneyland.great shows and lots of charactors running around all the time and more pics opps with the kids.It was awesome

Congrats on the baby, sorry about DH's job, isn't funny how the highs and lows seem to come together. Like timelman said there's always Bush's Bonus money...maybe you could sail from somewhere relatively close instead of having to fly, but with the cost of gas:eek: you should compare that carefully. Good luck you'll cruise again and think about how much more fun and exciting it will be after a break.

Summercruisin': I'm so sorry for the disappointment...Despite perhaps having to wait longer than you would like to cruise (believe me, I wish I could cruise more often!) ...you have something far more precious than a cruise in those little ones! Hang in there! :)

If money is tight, ask yourself: do I want it or do I need it (and I know that a lot of times, a vacation is a need, not a want!)

Keep an eye on low season specials. Maybe taking a 7 night cruise during the high season might be prohibitively expensive, but a 4 night weekend cruise during the low season will be a fraction of the cost and will alleviate some of the need to go cruising! During 2006 and 2007 I couldn't take a long vacation so instead I took two quick weekend cruises. It was GREAT! Instead of looking forward to my next cruise one year away, I looked forward to my next cruise 6 months away TWICE!

I am in the exact opposite boat...(no pun intended). We usually go to Disney every year and I love love love it. Different kind of vacation. A working one, but DH wanted to go on a cruise this year. Havent been in 3 years so it is okay too. What is keeping me going is our first trip to Disneyland next year.

I love, love ,love Disney..We went about 9 times in the past 4 years..I finally got burned out and now have my second cruise booked. I can'twait to get back there though.

I'm with you. I am a true Disneyphile. My first cruise is in 2 months. I'll reserve judgement until then.

I have an idea, the lightbulb is blinking in my head:D . It's time to refocus your blahs. I am sure you are way busy with 2 little ones, but don't you have some old clothers from them that don't fit anymore, toys, etc. Sure you do, just look around. Then go to ebay and set up and account. All very easy to do, they walk you through it. Then start selling all those things you dont need anymore. Take all your profit and put it in your cruise fund. That's what I do and this year, it has paid for 4 cruises for me and my dh.

Hope this helps, Cindy

Archived