Which NYC airport is closest to port?

fungirl3

Hi Everyone!

We're going on our 2nd cruise September 28th on the Jewel to New England/Canada. We live on the West Coast so I have no idea which airport to fly into before we depart from NYC. Also, need a hotel for one night that is close to the port. Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks!

Fungirl3

NCL Star/Alaska/June 2006

Hi Fungirl (SW Washington eh? I grew up in Kalama)

I've been checking this for a while and my understanding is that closest is Newark (Liberty airport I think), then Le Guardia, and then JFK

Glad you enjoyed your cruise on the Star, but I haven't seen you post for a while. Welcome back!

LGA http://www.nycruise.com/dirNYC.html :)

John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)

(20 miles to Manhattan Cruise Terminal)

Building 14

Jamaica, NY 11430

(718) 244-4444 or (800) 247-7433

JFK Airport website

La Guardia Airport (LGA)

(11 miles to Manhattan Cruise Terminal)

Flushing, NY 11371

(718) 533-3400

La Guardia Airport website

Newark International Airport (ERW)

(15 miles to Manhattan Cruise Terminal)

Tower Road, Building Ten

Newark, NJ 07114, USA

(973) 961-6000 or (888) EWR-INFO

Newark Airport website

Rats! Looks like I've been repeatedly lied to over the past few months. Too Late-I've already booked!

Where was trock when I asked that question? LOL But thanks for correcting me, It's appreciated!

The problem with flying from the west coast (OP's location) is that there are no non-stop flights to LGA. So, unless they're willing to change planes and add a significant amount to their travel time, they're limited to a choice between Newark and JFK.

LGA is clearly the closest. They haven't moved it lately. But non stops coast to coast normally go to either Kennedy or Newark. By taxi Kennedy has a fixed rate to Manhattan of $45.00 plus toll and tip(total of around $60.00). Also supershuttlle www.supershuttle.com will also pick you up and drop you off. EWR(Newark) also has a fixed fare will run about $70.00 including tolls and tips. You can get a car service to pick you up at EWR for slightly less and about the same from Kennedy. The Taxi fare from LGA to the cruise terminal is about 30.00 to 35.00.

A taxi in New York is a yellow cab that you just hail or picks you up. A car service picks you up be prearrangement(or you call and have them meet you)...

BTW Kennedy has the longest runways and Newark is in New Jersey.

Rats! Looks like I've been repeatedly lied to over the past few months. Too Late-I've already booked!

Where was trock when I asked that question? LOL But thanks for correcting me, It's appreciated!

Sorry!! LOL

LGA is clearly the closest. They haven't moved it lately. But non stops coast to coast normally go to either Kennedy or Newark. By taxi Kennedy has a fixed rate to Manhattan of $45.00 plus toll and tip(total of around $60.00). Also supershuttlle www.supershuttle.com will also pick you up and drop you off. EWR(Newark) also has a fixed fare will run about $70.00 including tolls and tips. You can get a car service to pick you up at EWR for slightly less and about the same from Kennedy. The Taxi fare from LGA to the cruise terminal is about 30.00 to 35.00.

A taxi in New York is a yellow cab that you just hail or picks you up. A car service picks you up be prearrangement(or you call and have them meet you)...

BTW Kennedy has the longest runways and Newark is in New Jersey.

And LGA the shortest, or so i have heard.. many a plane ends up with one end in the water for overshooting the runway...:)

As a New Yorker who lives walking distance from Manhattan Cruise Terminal, I would highly recommend Newark. Yes LGA sounds more convenient because it's a few miles closer, but if you are going to the west side of Manhattan (which is where the cruise terminal is located), Newark is quicker.

With LGA you are dealing with traffic all over Manhattan, getting from Queens into the city at the east side, and making it over to the west side. From Newark, you go through Jersey for 25 minutes and then hit the Lincoln Tunnel in Manhattan which exits at 42nd street on the west side of Manhattan. From there you are a quick 5-8 minutes from the cruise terminal.

As far as transportation from the airport, I ALWAYS use Newark Liberty Airport Express bus, run by Coach (http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/). It is cheap, quick, and runs every 15 minutes from every terminal at Newark Airport. $15 one way or $25 round trip. CAN NOT beat it. I highly recommend it. Cheaper than a cab, cheaper than car service, and nearly as convenient. When I have the option between LGA and EWR, I always choose EWR.

Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

Sorry!! LOL

No-don't be. I don't like to give bad info and I'm always glad when it's corrected. Just don't make a habit of it! ROTF

As a New Yorker who lives walking distance from Manhattan Cruise Terminal, I would highly recommend Newark. Yes LGA sounds more convenient because it's a few miles closer, but if you are going to the west side of Manhattan (which is where the cruise terminal is located), Newark is quicker.

As far as transportation from the airport, I ALWAYS use Newark Liberty Airport Express bus, run by Coach (http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/). It is cheap, quick, and runs every 15 minutes from every terminal at Newark Airport. $15 one way or $25 round trip. CAN NOT beat it. I highly recommend it. Cheaper than a cab, cheaper than car service, and nearly as convenient. When I have the option between LGA and EWR, I always choose EWR.

I guess when it's looked at in terms of time & convenience I've never been misled about which airport is closer then :D

BTW-thanks for the info about coachusa. I'd been expecting to use supershuttle from Newark so I'll look into this!

<P>You are all so wonderful and funny!  Thank you, thank you!  Sounds like Newark is our best bet.  Do you think we should get a hotel near Newark or near the Manhattan Cruise Terminal?  And any hotel recommendations?  </P>

<P> </P>

<P>Yes, MBisson (Monte), I know Kalama.  We're from Ridgefield.  :)  </P>

<P> </P>

<P>Fungirl3</P>

<P> </P>

<P> </P>

And LGA the shortest, or so i have heard.. many a plane ends up with one end in the water for overshooting the runway...:)

its only happened two times since it opened in the 1930's(except for when it was a flying boat base and then they all did)....

Fly into LGA and then take one of the blue SuperShuttle vans directly to the port for $16 per person. Arrange for SuperShuttle ahead of time online or by phone. They are reliable and friendly!

I live near NYC and that is what I have visitor do.

With LGA you are dealing with traffic all over Manhattan, getting from Queens into the city at the east side, and making it over to the west side. From Newark, you go through Jersey for 25 minutes and then hit the Lincoln Tunnel in Manhattan which exits at 42nd street on the west side of Manhattan. From there you are a quick 5-8 minutes from the cruise terminal.

Can you tell me how far the bus stops from the pier, would we then need a cab to get to the ship?

its only happened two times since it opened in the 1930's(except for when it was a flying boat base and then they all did)....

Nope.. sorry to disagree.. Its happened many more times.. just not reported.. My dad was an engineer for the NYC Highway department right near Laguardia.. He sent many payloaders over by the water to help pull plane and or items out. No one ever hurt thankfully!

Now i dont know if they were commercial flights.. but it happened.. and happened often in the 70s/80s

Don't be fooled: Newark may be 15 miles and LGA 11 miles but on 9 out of 10 trips you'll get to the port faster from Newark than LGA. JFK might as well be in a different time zone--it can take up to 3 hours to get into Manhattan.

Still, if your airline doesn't go non-stop to Newark and does to LGA, go to LGA.

We'll do darn near anything to avoid departing or returning from JFK, especially when EWR is 20 minutes away.

Can you tell me how far the bus stops from the pier, would we then need a cab to get to the ship?

The Coach USA bus makes a few stops, but the first stop (and closest to pier) is right after they exit the tunnel, in front of (but not inside) Port Authority, at 42nd street and 8th avenue. You can grab a cab right at Port Authority and it will go up 8th avenue and over the 4 crosstown blocks to the pier. This should take less than 10 minutes, as it's only 1.5 miles. View the map here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=14617734602966353374,40.767588,-73.996359&saddr=42nd+street+%26+8th+ave,+ny&daddr=711+12th+Ave,+New+York,+NY+10019+(Manhattan+Cruise+Terminal)&sll=40.76389,-73.997505&sspn=0.013636,0.017059&ie=UTF8&ll=40.7633,-73.995216&spn=0.013636,0.017059&t=h&z=16

:)

Nope.. sorry to disagree.. Its happened many more times.. just not reported.. My dad was an engineer for the NYC Highway department right near Laguardia.. He sent many payloaders over by the water to help pull plane and or items out. No one ever hurt thankfully!

Now i dont know if they were commercial flights.. but it happened.. and happened often in the 70s/80s

Both runways at LGA are 7000' long, which is a bit on the short side for larger commercial jet aircraft, though Delta did operate a daily L-1011 out of there. I fly the 757 into there and the runway is plenty long enough. Only two commercial jet aircraft have gone off the end of the runway into the water at LaGuardia. The last time was a U.S. Airways 737 about 15 years ago. No aircraft accident or incident at an FAA controlled airport ever goes unreported.

Both runways at LGA are 7000' long, which is a bit on the short side for larger commercial jet aircraft, though Delta did operate a daily L-1011 out of there. I fly the 757 into there and the runway is plenty long enough. Only two commercial jet aircraft have gone off the end of the runway into the water at LaGuardia. The last time was a U.S. Airways 737 about 15 years ago. No aircraft accident or incident at an FAA controlled airport ever goes unreported.

Well then i guess my dad sent those payloaders over for no reason.:rolleyes:

The other poster claimed it only happened 2x since the 30's.. Some things do just go unreported... it is NYC

My Uncle was a ramp manager there for Delta.. Boy did he have stories...

All i found on line were these

On September 21, 1989, USAir Flight 5050 bound for Charlotte/Douglas International Airport in Charlotte, North Carolina, crashed after aborting takeoff and rolling off the end of the runway into the East River. The plane broke into three pieces, and three passengers died as a result.

On March 22, 1992, USAir Flight 405 bound for Cleveland Hopkins International Airport in Cleveland, Ohio, crashed on takeoff at LaGuardia due to icing on its wings. Of 51 people aboard, 27 were killed.

On March 2, 1994, Continental Airlines Flight 705 to Stapleton International Airport in Denver, Colorado, aborted takeoff in a snowstorm and skidded down the runway into a ditch.

http://www.jessejacksonjr.org/query/creadpr.cgi?id="000814"

Archived