Which NYC airport is closest to port?

fungirl3

The Coach USA bus makes a few stops, but the first stop (and closest to pier) is right after they exit the tunnel, in front of (but not inside) Port Authority, at 42nd street and 8th avenue. You can grab a cab right at Port Authority and it will go up 8th avenue and over the 4 crosstown blocks to the pier. This should take less than 10 minutes, as it's only 1.5 miles. View the map here:

Thanks so much!!! This is a big help!

Like Carnac767, I fly a 717 into LGA 3-4 times per week. Whichever NY airport you decide to fly into try to arrive on the day prior to your sailing, and make it early in the day as well. It doesn't take much to cause big delays that escalate as the day progresses.

another interesting site..

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/Response2.asp

BTW.. i have not flown in over 10 yrs..

Coming home from St Maarten our landing gear did not come down.(charter flight). i dont know exactly why or what.. It seemed like the pilot tried to assend and turned up the engines.. and we basically landed / fell on the belly of the plane. Oxygen masks came down and when i saw the flight attendants crying.. i lost it also..

The feeling in your stomach is undescribable.. We exited the plane on a blow up slide... I never filed out any accident report and i never saw anything about it anywhere...

No one was hurt.. but it scared me enough not to fly..though i did try again.. short flight to Toronto.. going i was fine, coming back horrible..

Well then i guess my dad sent those payloaders over for no reason.:rolleyes:

The other poster claimed it only happened 2x since the 30's.. Some things do just go unreported... it is NYC

My Uncle was a ramp manager there for Delta.. Boy did he have stories...

http://www.jessejacksonjr.org/query/creadpr.cgi?id="000814"[/quote]

Trock, there are a lot of reasons those payloaders could have been sent over, if you've ever seen the mess LGA can degenerate into. I once saw a ground controller get the taxiways so congested they had to send tow tractors out to unclog the mess. But that is a rare occasion. The most likely reason to use a payloader would be to free an airplane that missed a turn during a snowstorm and had gotten stuck between the taxiways. When something happens such as an airplane overruning the runway into the water, it shuts down that runway until the FAA accident investigators release it. That would shut down LaGuardia, essentially, and that would be pretty hard to cover up. Anyway, I'm sure both your father and uncle have some great stories. Have a great cruise. And don't give up on flying. I need the work. :)

As someone who lives within walking distance of LaGuardia, I would certainly suggest LGA over either JFK or EWR. There are three possible logical ways of getting into Manhattan from Queens. This allows for a backup in case of an accident on a bridge or in a tunnel. On the other hand, I'm not so sure I would want to be in the midst of a real traffic jam on the Jersey side of the Hudson.

Well then i guess my dad sent those payloaders over for no reason.:rolleyes:

The other poster claimed it only happened 2x since the 30's.. Some things do just go unreported... it is NYC

My Uncle was a ramp manager there for Delta.. Boy did he have stories...

http://www.jessejacksonjr.org/query/creadpr.cgi?id="000814"[/quote]

Trock, there are a lot of reasons those payloaders could have been sent over, if you've ever seen the mess LGA can degenerate into. I once saw a ground controller get the taxiways so congested they had to send tow tractors out to unclog the mess. But that is a rare occasion. The most likely reason to use a payloader would be to free an airplane that missed a turn during a snowstorm and had gotten stuck between the taxiways. When something happens such as an airplane overruning the runway into the water, it shuts down that runway until the FAA accident investigators release it. That would shut down LaGuardia, essentially, and that would be pretty hard to cover up. Anyway, I'm sure both your father and uncle have some great stories. Have a great cruise. And don't give up on flying. I need the work. :)

Absolutely!

i HAVE SUCH A FEAR!! How do i get over it!

Absolutely!

i HAVE SUCH A FEAR!! How do i get over it!

My advice--drink heavily.

No, seriously, I realize that many people have a fear of flying, though it's by far the safest form of transportation known to man (or woman). Statistically you have a 1 in 100 chance of being involved in a serious auto accident yet you could fly for 5000 years without being involved in an aircraft accident. But your pilots surely would be tired. I think what scares many people is turbulence but that's just the aircraft moving through different currents of air. It's really no big deal and airplanes are built for it, but I know it worries some folks. But you're not in any danger . . . unless you're one of those people who think they're immune to the laws of gravity and try to walk around when we hit the bumps. I believe only Michael Jordan is immune to gravity. There are support groups to help people over their fear of flying. Good luck. I've been scared flying, too. Of course, people were shooting at me.

Hi Everyone!

We're going on our 2nd cruise September 28th on the Jewel to New England/Canada. We live on the West Coast so I have no idea which airport to fly into before we depart from NYC. Also, need a hotel for one night that is close to the port. Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks!

Fungirl3

NCL Star/Alaska/June 2006

If you live on the west coast you will probably be taking a non stop flight to the New York area. While LGA is actually closer there is no nonstop service from the west coast. Your choice is then between JFK and Newark. JFK, while farther, may be less expensive to get to the pier from unless you want to take a train from NewaRK to Penn Station and then cab it to the pier.

Another alternative is a private jet directly to Teterboro airport in New Jersey.

My advice--drink heavily.

No, seriously, I realize that many people have a fear of flying, though it's by far the safest form of transportation known to man (or woman). Statistically you have a 1 in 100 chance of being involved in a serious auto accident yet you could fly for 5000 years without being involved in an aircraft accident. But your pilots surely would be tired. I think what scares many people is turbulence but that's just the aircraft moving through different currents of air. It's really no big deal and airplanes are built for it, but I know it worries some folks. But you're not in any danger . . . unless you're one of those people who think they're immune to the laws of gravity and try to walk around when we hit the bumps. I believe only Michael Jordan is immune to gravity. There are support groups to help people over their fear of flying. Good luck. I've been scared flying, too. Of course, people were shooting at me.

LOL

I had no fear until that incident coming home from St Maarten.

Seriously, my chances of walking away from a car accident are much greater than an airplane accident.

My husband told me if I was meant to die in a plane crash.. if i didnt fly, one would land on me, :rolleyes:

Shooting at you? omg, thank you

If you fly the day before into LGA, try to find a hotel in Manhattan for your overnight stay. You don't want to get stuck in traffic coming from the LGA area on the day of your cruise.

If you fly into EWR the day before, stay in NJ, and transit into Manhattan on the day of the cruise. I believe there was a nice one in Hoboken or Weehauken with a lovely view of the Manhattan skyline....a bit pricey though.

Good luck and happy cruising.

Nancy

If you live on the west coast you will probably be taking a non stop flight to the New York area..

I've discovered that if you're on the West Coast & using FF miles with American, nonstop flights can be hard to get. My flight is going Seattle-Dallas-Newark. It's the scenic route ;)

Coming back-much better LGA-Seattle

Archived