Ever Missed The Ship?

Figsgrandma

This may seem like an odd question, but has anyone ever returned late from a land excursion and missed the ship? Maybe my question is just a sign that I'm a novice cruiser (only been on one, which I expect will not be my last), but I can just picture myself standing on the dock, waving goodby to all the other passengers, as my ship pulls out of port, because my excursion got delayed and I didn't get back in time. If this did happen to you, what did you do?

Well it hasn't happend to me (knock wood) cause I'm always late but I've only ever done the excursions that the ship offers. That way if it's running late, they will wait for you. If you venture on your own which I'm going to be doing in Belize, then you take your chances... I would say if you're going to venture out on your own - go as early as possible and give yourself plenty of time to get back just in case something does delay your return. Also, bring your passport (or other ID) with you when you leave the ship - just in case! And another thing - Don't be late! :p Have fun!!!!!!!

Travel insurance will cover "catch up" transportation -- transportation to catch up with the ship should you miss it. The alternative to travel insurance is to pay for those costs yourself, should you miss the ship.

What I've read on these boards is that the cruise ship will wait for passengers who pay for its own excursions, but not for passengers who go on independent excursions or go on their own.

Travel insurance will cover "catch up" transportation -- transportation to catch up with the ship should you miss it. The alternative to travel insurance is to pay for those costs yourself, should you miss the ship.

What I've read on these boards is that the cruise ship will wait for passengers who pay for its own excursions, but not for passengers who go on independent excursions or go on their own.

Thanks Bicker - I have ins. but didn't know that was covered - good to know though!

While I knew that travel insurance would pay if you missed the ship, I thought that was only if you missed the original embarkation because of some transportation problem -delayed flight, missed connection. I didn't know it could also cover the actual days of the cruise.

I also thought that there was less to worry about if we booked the excursion through the cruise line, which is why we did so on our cruise to Canade this past September.

Thanks.

While I knew that travel insurance would pay if you missed the ship, I thought that was only if you missed the original embarkation because of some transportation problem -delayed flight, missed connection. I didn't know it could also cover the actual days of the cruise.

I also thought that there was less to worry about if we booked the excursion through the cruise line, which is why we did so on our cruise to Canade this past September.

Thanks.

Yes, if you book through the cruise line and are delayed they will wait. I'm ashamed to say I never looked at what my insurance covered... I should look at that :o

August 19, 2004. Skagway. 5:45pm. Sapphire Princess leaving at 6pm. The '"gangplank" was up....the "lines" still on and dock hands just standing & waiting to "cast off." But the gangplank was up....and the little shore person with the briefcase just left.....(they are at every port...both before and after, for manifest and passenger list. Nice couple, in their 50's races up in a cab. Too late, despite their yelling and screaming........only vague chatter from those aboard leaning over balconie(they KNEW the drill...no use pleading)...the gangplank was up....it's NOT coming down! They were "LEFT BEHIND." Had they been on a SHIP'S Shore Excursion that ran late, they'd have been okay. Alas, I thought it was painful to watch. I had to have another drink! The next day was a sea day..the one after was Victoria BC. The couple had to pay their own way and finally caught up with us when we docked in Seattle. There's a lesson folks! Brutle, but true.

Do you know that a cruise ship might pay was much as $5000 or more for EACH 15 min they are late & do not leave the dock they are at? That an easy choice since the passenger is responsible for their fare to catch up!

Actually I was just talking to a friend a few weeks ago who told us his story of being left in Ensenada, Mexico. He had gone on the trip as a "single" but was with a group on the ship. Having been to Ensenada before, he knew to head straight to Papa's and Beer for the afternoon. Unfortunately, he had no one to watch over him, got to drinking too much and having too much fun. He was in charge of putting bumper stickers on the young girls in places I probably couldn't mention....Anyway, by the time he realized how late he was and got a taxi back to the ship, it was too late :(. He ended up taking a Taxi to Tijauna and then a bus back to his home in Southern Californa. That sure cost a pretty penny. His friends fortunately packed his stuff on the ship for him. The funny thing about this story is our friend is about 76 years old and sure has a story to tell. What a trip!

At least in terms of RCI's insurance, here's the relevant passage...

The Insurer will pay benefits for Covered Expenses, up to $500, if Your trip is delayed en route to or from Your Sea/Land Arrangements due to inclement weather, strike or other job action, or equipment failure of a Common Carrier; a traffic accident en route to a departure in which You or Your Traveling Companion is not directly involved; lost or stolen passports, travel documents, or money; quarantine; hijacking; natural disaster; civil commotion or riot. Covered Expenses include any prepaid, unused, non-refundable Sea/Land Arrangements, any reasonable additional expenses for meals and lodging, and the cost of a one-way economy airfare ticket to catch up to the Sea/Land Arrangements or return to the place of origin shown on the travel documents.
I hope this was NOT helpful -- meaning I hope you never have need to exercise this portion of any insurance you may buy! :)

On our last Alaskan cruise, we saw not one but two couples that couldn't seem to find the time to return to the ship on time. Both took a pilot boat out to the ship. The ship opened a door, dropped a rope ladder out and they had to climb up! Don't fall. I'm sure you'd probably get crushed between the ship and the pilot boat.

I don't know what it cost them but our waiter said it was a $500 charge if the ship was still in the harbor. I wonder if they learned their lesson to get back to the ship a little early next time?

Saw a late passenger when we were anchored off Ketchikan last Sept. He was piloted on board, no rope climb, just entered the boat on one of the lower decks (we were up on deck 11 so hard to see over the balcony as to what deck he entered) by climbing off the pilot boat into Coral Princess while he clutched his purchases. He did not look happy!

Have always taken the cruise excursions for this reason...never want to be left behind! So there may be more of an expense. I value my peace of mind more than the dollars.

Ruthie

Last year when I took a mexican riviera cruise, they kept paging 3 passengers who apparantly never made it back to the ship when we were in Cabo San Lucas. We ended up waiting about 15min past sail away and then the capt blew the horn and started on his way. Then the boat stopped and the CD came on the intercom and told us that they had located the passengers on land and a tender was going to bring them out to the ship. He said it was up to the discretion of the capt to wait or not and that "he was kind enough to wait for them" Turns out to be a couple in their early 40's and their 4 yr old daughter. Heard they had to pay $$$ to have the gangway reopened, but I guess it's still cheaper then finding your own way back.

No I havent, but when we were on a cruise around Cape Horn a couple of Families missed the ship at Buenos Aires.

They had to fly to Puerto Madryn and join after two days at sea. However due to high winds the ship did not dock and we had another two days at sea while the ship went around the Horn to Ushuia. They only got on at Ushuia after missing five days of the cruise.

Archived