DEFINITION OF "CRUISING ONLY" PLEASE

Mary Jane 711

I am set to sail on the 15 Panama Canal on the Regal Princess on Dec. 9th. Does anyone know if "cruising only" thru the canal means you get no excursions? I am okay with that, but I sure would have loved to do that Aerial Tram excursion I've read about. Any input would be appreciated..:)

I am set to sail on the 15 Panama Canal on the Regal Princess on Dec. 9th. Does anyone know if "cruising only" thru the canal means you get no excursions? I am okay with that, but I sure would have loved to do that Aerial Tram excursion I've read about. Any input would be appreciated..:)

Yes, cruising only means that the ship will cruise through the port/area and will not be stopping to let passengars off. I did the Panama Canal on Crystal and I do not remember getting off the ship when going through the "canal" - it's a scenic excursion (one you do from the ship).

Happy Sailing!

We transitted the Canal on the Dawn Princess in April. Cruising only means that no one will be allowed off the ship in the Canal. A pilot and naturalist board the ship just before you enter the Canal and provide commentary as you transit. We stopped in Puerto Amador on our transit for a few hours - only two excursions offered at that time. I don't know what they will offer in Cristobal. It is a fascinating trip - be sure to bring binoculars to check out the islands and the banks of the Canal. We saw turtles and alligators from the ship. Have fun!!!

Sue

I remember one of our canal trips where the cruiseline had local entertainment brought on board as we were going through the Gatun lake part of the canal. It was wonderful seeing the local dances/singing and hearing about the culture. If I remember correctly each of the female dancers dresses cost $12,000 because of the gold decorations that were sewed on.

The only itineraries that allow passengers off on tours while in the Canal are the partial-transit cruises. Cruising-only means that everyone stays on the ship. There's still lots to see. The sides of the Canal are very, very close to the ship as you go through the locks. I found it fascinating to see how they secure the ship, close the locks, and raise the water level.

Ready To Sail -- I am on the same cruise in January and Cartagena is still showing, but no excursion. Thanks for the information about Cristabol. I hope that we get changed to there also.

Carole

Archived