Safe tour that is not "touristy."

lawiggin

We would like to get away from the tourist areas. (DRF, Margaritaville, etc.) We would prefer to see and experience villages, the country, the people, etc...and would like a safe, recommended tour guide. Any suggestions and recommendations.

We would like to get away from the tourist areas. (DRF, Margaritaville, etc.) We would prefer to see and experience villages, the country, the people, etc...and would like a safe, recommended tour guide. Any suggestions and recommendations.

we just got back and wanted the same thing that you do so we did http://www.barrettadventures.com/ .

It worked out perfect. We got away from the tourist spot and went through the mountains and villages. We sampled fruits and had lunch in a small village . It was great . I would do it again

Yes our first stop was YS falls .She was at the pier to pick us up and we were with her all day till our ship was ready to sail.Carolyne charged us 300.00 for the four of us for the whole day. It started to rain pretty hard in the afternoon so we had to cancel the trip she had planned for us to boat down the black river and tried to give some money back but we could not take it . She took care of us the whole day and we felt safe the entire day.:)

Jamaica:

We were nervous about getting off in Jamaica but had booked a private tour prior to going and never felt threatened in any way. The Jamaicans we encountered were very kind and eager to share their culture. We went to Mayfield falls and it was very pretty. It was about an hours drive, but a scenic one. The mountain road that you have to take to get there (everyone warned was dangerous), wasn't as bad as I expected (we have pot holes that size in Oklahoma). If you've ever been Jeeping or 4wheeling, it's not a big deal. Our driver was very careful to go slow and not jolt us around too bad. The falls were beautiful, (I had been to Dunn's before) and there were only about 20 of us climbing that morning. Avoid the crowds if you're debating between Dunn's & Mayfield. Mayfield is half as far as Dunn's (from MoBay). Dunn's is now very commercialized. Mayfield is still very natural & pristine. It is limestone steps throughout a river. I did hit my knee a few times on rocks and was trying to be cautious of my healing foot (previously broken). It was mildly adventurous. We stayed for lunch (I took a picnic from room service ordered the night before) and were back in MoBay a couple of hours before departure. They have picnic area (& serve lunch as well). Lockers & changing rooms available also. If you go to Mayfield, tell Danielle that the family that gave her an "old" Jamaican $2 bill says "Hello" and "Thank you for a wonderful time".

Another vote for Marva! She has several "main stream" tours on her website, but she is very accomodating and will be happy to book a private, customized tour with you. Check her out at knowjamaica.com. Tell her Michele says hello!!! :D

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sailing June 1st and will stop in Montego Bay. I wanted to see Dunn River Falls, but am leery of the long drive and worried something might go wrong and prevent us returning to the ship on time. I have recently read about Mayfield Falls and am wondering how it is in comparison to DRF? Are they similar? Can you climb the falls at MF? Would I be disappointed if I missed DRF?

Also, I have read a LOT of good things about Marva Shaw! Does she do tours out of Montego Bay? Does anyone recommend anyone else?

Thanks Amber

One last thing. Does anyone know anything about Y.S. Falls? How is it in comparison to DRF and MF?

We booked a private tour (just me and hubby) at our stop in Ocho Rios. Grace met us and took us wherever we wanted to go. We drove through the rain forest, saw the falls, and best of all she drove us through the mountains and the "non-tourist-y" areas we wanted to see. She took us to meet a wonderful woman who told us all about the local fruits and vegetables and gave us samples. We got some spices to take home! When we were ready to eat, we asked for someplace local and we went to a small diner where there were NO other tourists (I doubt they could have found it!) and had an incredible meal with the locals. Grace was full of information about the island, and became a fast friend - we even email each other occasionally. Her vehicle was very comfortable and had good AC. I cannot recommend her enough. She made our trip special! You can find her at http://www.jusdevibestours.com. (PS she was recommended by Marva Shaw when Marva was already booked for our date - double recommendation!)

Archived