Rum Factory in San Juan

My family of 7 did the rum factory tour in Feb. We bought it through RC excursions. We were taken by bus to the factory. Not sure about a water taxi.

What did you think of the tour? Was it worth it?

i loved this tour. we did it on our first cruise, in 2004. i'm sure it hasn't changed all that much. you get two drinks as part of the tour (best part) and get to tour the distillery and buy rum. i think it's definately worth doing.

here's a picture of the inside of the factory....

honeymoon%20Jul2004%20060.jpg

We just did the tour on our own while on Radiance of the Seas 3/15-3/23. The ship sold the tour for $28 per person.

We walked from the ship to the ferry terminal. It was $1 per person each way. We took the ferry and then took a taxi/shuttle from the ferry to the Baccardi factory. Paid for and took the tour which included 2 drinks, took a taxi back to the ferry and the ferry back to the ship. For the four of us, it cost MUCH less to do it this way. Probably about $10 per person. Just check the ferry times when you go.

It was fun, the tour was interesting, not too long. They explain how they make the rum. It was perfect without being costly.

Hope this helps.

The ferry terminal is right next to the cruise ship pier. There are two ferries that operate out of the terminal-make sure you take the one to Cataño. there are taxis at the other end, not too expensive if memory serves correct. Here's a site with some reviews:

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Caribbean_and_Central_America/Puerto_Rico/San_Juan_Municipio/San_Juan-1645724/Things_To_Do-San_Juan-Bacardi_Factory-BR-1.html

I did this a few years ago on a bus tour.....don't know about the water taxi. It was a tour of the place and free rum, kind of interesting and at the end you can visit the gift shop and buy.......you guessed it.........rum.

The tour itself is free- you sign up at the desk under the tent and they give you 2 tickets for free drinks and tell you when your tour leaves.

The ferry terminal is next to the cruise terminal. You take the ferry across the harbor and take a taxi/van to the factory. It was $3 each way for the taxi. $0.50 each way for the Ferry.

The tour wasn't all that great, it was a giant commercial for Bacardi and they really didn't go into the rum making process. I wish we'd spent the time going through the forts instead.

Has anyone done the Rum Factory tour in San Juan. I've heard there is a water taxi from the port, is this true?

Thanks,

Yes, there is a water taxi and the tour is great. Interesting short story on the family and the story of the bat logo. The place is beautiful. We went twice, once the two of us and last year with our 23 year old daughter. The forts are not to be missed if you have time. You can spend half a day at one and another few hours at the other. Bring a picnic lunch, the grounds are beautiful, scenery breathtaking. Of the two I'd do the forts but if time is short the Bacardi tour is worth every penny. BTW we found the rum cheaper at the airport. :confused: Don't know why but it was. We rented a car both days so had time to tour. San Juan is a beautiful place. We ate at Mike & Charlies and Chili's both were great food.

Archived