Finding a good Travel Agent...

maiden

We went on Century Oct. 2007 to the Mediterranean. Our travel agent

really knew nothing about cruising and since it was our first cruise we really wished she could have been more helpful. We booked another cruise on Celebrity for the fall and I keep reading about TAs giving On Board Credits, bottles of wine, etc... We got upgraded last cruise and our TA said maybe it was because her travel agency is a "preferred agency".

Should we change travel agents? Can we change now that we have put down the deposit? How do we find a TA with experience in cruises? I just feel like she has really done nothing for us. We did all the research on everything. Not to mention, no OBCs. Please help!

We went on Century Oct. 2007 to the Mediterranean. Our travel agent

really knew nothing about cruising and since it was our first cruise we really wished she could have been more helpful. We booked another cruise on Celebrity for the fall and I keep reading about TAs giving On Board Credits, bottles of wine, etc... We got upgraded last cruise and our TA said maybe it was because her travel agency is a "preferred agency".

Should we change travel agents? Can we change now that we have put down the deposit? How do we find a TA with experience in cruises? I just feel like she has really done nothing for us. We did all the research on everything. Not to mention, no OBCs. Please help!

The most important feature of a good agent is their ability to help you out when things go wrong. That should always be the starting point. Many, many are just order takers. Don't confuse a cheap bottle of wine with great service.

There is confusion about the all in price. Have you gotten best pricing from agent they are able to provide aside for best cruise lines price? Is that the equivalent of one of these $100.00 on board credits? If so, then good start for a regular cabin. Upgrades have some real value too when you are changing from and inside to a balcony or a nice balcony to a Sky Suite.

Its the combination of all the elements, not just an element that one person says they got and you didn't. So weight it all and then make your determination accordingly. No matter what keep cruising! :)

I truly believe that finding a TA has should be just as important as finding a realtor, a banker, doctor or an accountant. You find someone you like. Someone who will help you out (as Finely Cruising said) when things go wrong.

It always amazes me when people want a TA who gets them the best price or gives them the best OBC. One of my absolute favorite sayings is "The average American knows the price of everything and value of nothing. Don't be average!" We so often think that money is the only determining factor.

Our TA knows nothing about X. I do. That works fine for us. I do all my own research on travel. I check websites, I read travel mags, I live on these boards. The Cruise Critic community knows more about cruising than 99% of TAs out there. Once I know what cruise I want to be on, and in what kind of cabin, you can be sure that I know exactly how much it should cost. Then I e-mail my TA and tell her what to buy. She does the rest. Sometimes I tell her months before the cruise goes on sale. She keeps an eye open for me and as soon as her X rep tells her that they are on sale, she buys what I have asked for. I would say that this is the main reason that of the 10 X cruises we have booked we have had M-class aft cabins on 7 of them.

Currently she has our order to book us in an aft cabin on Millie the day the 2010 Australia/NZ cruises come on line. I have no doubt she will. She drops me an e-mail about once a week to let me know she is still looking and will stay on top of it.

But that still isn't why I use this particular TA. I do because I have her home phone number. Yup, her home phone number. So when I am in Heathrow and they tell me that my flight has been cancelled and I am on my own to rebook, I call her. I know I will find her. She gets me on the next plane and away I go. She is there for me.

Does she ever get me OBC? Nope. Nor would I ever ask her for it. Does she get me cabin upgrades? Not yet. Does she offer me the best deal she can get? Absolutely. How do I know. Because I did my homework before I ever contacted her. Do I know she (or someone else in her office) will be there for me if I need her while traveling? You bet! Does she make sure I have the right travel insurance? Yes. Does she check on the price of cabins even after I am booked in case the price has gone down? You know it. On at least four occasions she has gotten me a refund after we have already booked. Does she take care of combining bookings for us and a whole bunch of folks that she did not book tickets for so we can all eat at the same table? She sure does.

How did it find her? She was my banker. Then she quit banking and started working travel. That was 20 years ago. I should also say that her office is more than 120 miles from me (I moved) and I have not seen her in more than 10 years. But we still talk on the phone and e-mail on a regular basis.

Find a good TA (my suggestion would be one in a small agency) and stick with her. One of my first questions would be, "What will you do to help us in a travel emergency?" And ask them if you will have 24/7 access? That would be big. But to find the best ones, you have to do some work. And once you find them, be LOYAL. Don't go book with someone else because they can offer you a $25 OBC.

Sorry, didn't mean to get up on my soapbox but I am so tired of folks wanting something for nothing or to squeeze every dime out of everyone. If you pay a fair price, treat anyone the way you would want to be treated, you will have a TA (or any service professional) who will work their butt off for you.

By the way, to really get a good TA takes time. Expect to interview at least 4 or 5 before you make that decision. If you have ever sold a home and interview realtors, that's what is should be like. Make it clear to them that if they do well for you, you will stick with them. Good luck.

Jim

Everyone who post is correct that a good TA is as important as your lawyer, tax accountant, etc.

We actually found ours by searching the internet. We had a family and found someones website that specilizies in family cruises. We have been her from the start of our cruising carrier and get all the help we need with bookings, questions and on board credits.

If you would like to use her search cruises for familys. She has booked cruises for my parents and inlaws as well. :D

Having had not so good experiences with TA's in the past I have started to book with the cruise line directly. That way I can call any time to make changes and I no longer have to wait for my TA, Like changing flights or rooms or price drops. I find I am better at finding what I want.

Having had not so good experiences with TA's in the past I have started to book with the cruise line directly. That way I can call any time to make changes and I no longer have to wait for my TA, Like changing flights or rooms or price drops. I find I am better at finding what I want.

Happy to hear your comment raymay. Also happy to hear that working directly with the cruise company is working well for you.

We are thinking of going that way too.

We seem to find with TA's that they're 'on to it' for everything you want to know and will fly to the moon and back to be helpful, until, you've paid your deposit. Then, it's like pulling teeth to communicate with them.

These days with so much information available online it does seem obvious to be in control of your booking yourself. Then if anything goes wrong we can only blame ourselves.;)

Jillybean:)

Happy to hear your comment raymay. Also happy to hear that working directly with the cruise company is working well for you.

We are thinking of going that way too.

We seem to find with TA's that they're 'on to it' for everything you want to know and will fly to the moon and back to be helpful, until, you've paid your deposit. Then, it's like pulling teeth to communicate with them.

These days with so much information available online it does seem obvious to be in control of your booking yourself. Then if anything goes wrong we can only blame ourselves.;)

Jillybean:)

What you are missing is who helps you out on the day you are flying from your home to meet your ship in Barcelona and your flight get cancelled while you are on the ground in Heathrow? A good TA gets you on a plane or a train and gets you to your ship on time.

Don't give up on TAs because you haven't found a good one yet.

JIM I too was on the October cruise on Century. I totally agree that a good TA will work for you when things either go wrong or when you want to change something.

Right now I am booked on the Nov 23rd Cruise on Millennium for 23 Nov 2008.

Celebrity wanted me to fly with Qantas as they have a contract with them. This would mean 3 changes first from my domestic airport to Heathrow then fly to Singapore and then into Sydney on to Auckland.

I now have decided to book my own flights and will fly Manchester Uk direct to Singapore and then from there a direct flight to Auckland.

From Sydney I fly to Perth staying there for 5 weeks and then fly back to the UK via Singapore. One flight change.

X were quoting all sorts of prices for the cruise only. 4 different prices from 4 different people.

I had the figures here and knew how much I should be charged so they finally agreed with this.

Ali did the sorting out for me as X won't speak to anyone if they are booked with a TA.

At the end of the day I am happy and will spend 2 nights in Singapore and will arrive in Auckland 2 days prior to the cruise.

Like you Jim I know what I want before I call Ali and like you she is about 250 miles from where I live now. I continue to use her as she is always available and if not I email it and she sorts it out.

Sue

Sorry folks....this is the third time this week that we've had to ask members to stop requesting to be emailed for travel agent information. It is against Cruise Critic Community Guidelines. Since it is difficult to comply, this thread is being closed.

Archived