Boston to Cape Cod

What time of year will you be here? And what day of the week? It makes a huge difference. Traffic conditions on Rt 3 (the main route to the Cape if you are coming from Boston) can be bumper to bumper for miles during the summer, especially on the week-end. Please provide more information and I will try to help you out.

Help

We arrive in Boston at 2pm and will be in port till 10pm..Is it an option to rent a car and drive to Cape Cod? Do they roll the streets up at dusk?

It's not worth it to go to Cape Cod in such a short time! By the time you get your rental car, drive down there, you will have to come back.

If this is what you really want to do, there is a high speed ferry from Boston (the cruise terminal) that goes to Provincetown in 90 minutes. But it only goes to Provincetown, so not sure if that will work for you if wanted to go to another town on the cape. Here is the website:

http://www.baystatecruisecompany.com/

We will be in Boston, Sunday, Sept 30th.....Thanks for the reponses...sorry I didn't provide more information..

Though a great time of year to visit here, I wouldn't personally go through with all that for a day trip, too much to see and do. Hang in and around the City where there is tons of fun stuff to do without the pressure if making the ship on time!!:D

Boston is such a great city, I'd suggest killing time in town. Depending on the weather, you can take a cab from the ship to the Faneuil Hall area or to the great (but pricey) shopping areas like Newbury St. which is right off the Boston Common and Public Garden. You can also visit the Bull & Finch where the TV show "Cheers" was modeled after. If it's raining, you can take a cab to Copley Place, a very upscale indoor shopping center.

If you've been to Boston alot and have done all the city things, a Sunday afternoon in Provincetown would be fun, of course, depending on weather. Provincetown does not typify Cape Cod, though. It is very unique. Very artsy.

I don't know where you're flying in from, but I'm guessing you'll be a bit weary from the ordeal. I would prefer to spend the time unpacking and unwinding on board the ship. That first day is always a good one to explore the ship and get acclimated, etc.

If you were flying in a day early, I could give you ALL KINDS of tips for things to do / see (North Shore, South Shore, etc.)

Bon Voyage!

We are flying in from Los Angeles, but to NY on sept 24th spending 3 days there then the ship leaves Saturday evening and we arrive in Boston on Sunday.

I have been in Boston several times on business and have done alot of what you suggested but my husband and the rest of our group hasn't, so I think I will follow your lead.

Thanx everyone for all of your suggestions!

Oh, I see. I assumed you were flying into and cruising out of Boston.

If Boston is actually one of your ports of call, then you HAVE to make the most of your day there.

Try to get tickets to Blue Man Group or another show that will be in town that day. Blue Man is the most "Boston" show, though.

I really like the Provincetown idea too.

Good luck.

We are flying in from Los Angeles, but to NY on sept 24th spending 3 days there then the ship leaves Saturday evening and we arrive in Boston on Sunday.

I have been in Boston several times on business and have done alot of what you suggested but my husband and the rest of our group hasn't, so I think I will follow your lead.

If it is a nice day, try walking part of the Freedom Trail - a great history lesson for your group. If walking is too much, I suggest doing a Boston Duck Tour! It is an amphibious truck that tours around the city and then goes into the Charles River! I've done it twice and loved it (and I'm a local). They book up way in advanced, so you should reserve before your trip. Also, if you husband is a baseball fan, try to do a tour of Fenway Park. You will have to check with the park if they are doing them that day (depending on the schedule, but I think that is playoff time, maybe not yet).

I live on Cape Cod in Sandwich which is at the beginning of Cape Cod right over the bridge.

I would not try and go there in that amount of time by the time you are off the ship, get a car and drive to the cape which is at the very least one hour and fifteen minutes and that is knowing where you are going.

Enjoy Boston, go to The North End and eat at a wonderful restaurant and it is a great time of year to walk around Boston, you will be much to stressed to drive to the Cape and be back on the ship for it to sail at 10 PM.

The Cape is good but save it for another time by the time you got here it would be getting dark and not much to see at that time of day.

Enjoy your cruise and Boston it is a neat city.

Try getting tickets for the Duck boats. They tour all thru the city and look like a blast.

Archived