Will Alaska Air be ????

buckspc

As greatam says elsewhere, and as the history of the last couple of weeks has shown, these groundings are a one day or two day affair.

And whether Alaska will need to do anything depends on whether they fully complied with the maintenance requirements originally. If they did, then there's no need to go back to do the work again.

According to Alaska Air's website, they only have 10 MD-80s in their fleet of 114 planes. So their impact would be much less than AA where MD-80s fly the vast majority of their domestic main-line routes.

doing the same as American and others? Do they fly lots of MD-80s? If so I hope its done before May 11 when I will be flying home from Seattle. Thanks for any info, Buck

AS (Alaska) should be ok from this, as other people point out they only have 10 MD80s left in their fleet (vs 100+ 737s). G4 (Allegiant Air) are probably suffering a lot more as they have 30+ MD80s, I beleive are the 2nd largest US based operator of the type.

Geez, these planes are getting old!Awhile back, AA decided that it would be cheaper to hang onto them and started their own inhouse refurbishing operation, even doing the MD 80's of other airlines.

The thing is that these planes are old and the decision to refurb them was done at a time when oil was less than half the cost it is now.

My point here is that these mad dog 80 planes are like albatrosses around the neck of AA.

As i understand it, if a person is delayed by more than three hours because of mechanical problems, they are to be compensated.How many people has AA had to put up in hotels with food vouchers? How much $ have they lost from these days of shut downs?

doing the same as American and others? Do they fly lots of MD-80s? If so I hope its done before May 11 when I will be flying home from Seattle. Thanks for any info, Buck

Just check your ticket for the kind of plane you will be on. We just went to Mexico and I checked our flights which were Boeings.

Archived