Ardastra Gardens & Zoo

Giorgi-one

From the zoo website it looks like it is quite close to Cable Beach. Would it be possible to go to the zoo for a couple of hours and then take a bus to the the beach from there? Bus back to the ship would then be best for us.

From the zoo website it looks like it is quite close to Cable Beach. Would it be possible to go to the zoo for a couple of hours and then take a bus to the the beach from there? Bus back to the ship would then be best for us.

The Zoo is closer to downtown, near the Fish Fry.. but you can pick up a jitney anywhere along the bay street corridor.

The Zoo is closer to downtown, near the Fish Fry.. but you can pick up a jitney anywhere along the bay street corridor.

Can we walk and is it safe to walk to the zoo from the pier?

Do the jitney drop us off right at the zoo entrance? I notice that number 10 jitney will go to both Sheraton and the zoo. How far is it between the two places? Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
Can we walk and is it safe to walk to the zoo from the pier?

Do the jitney drop us off right at the zoo entrance? I notice that number 10 jitney will go to both Sheraton and the zoo. How far is it between the two places? Thanks.

You could walk it.. if it's not to hot and humid.

The #10 jitney runs along West Bay Street from downtown to Cable Beach. The zoo is about 2 blocks from the main road

The zoo is right outside of town.. about 4 miles from the sheraton.

Can anyone tell me the cab fare from the cruise line docks to Ardastra? Is the charge per cab or per person? There will be 4 adults and three kids.

The base rate is $8.. for 2 ppl. .. and $3 for ea. addtional person. $23 plus tip. (With gas nearing $7 a gal. a tip is greatly appreciated.).

• 2 weeks later...

Take a Jitney or a Taxi to the Zoo. It can be a long walk.

The Jitney #10 will drop you off at the bottom of the hill.

I took pictures of our walk from the Jitney to the Zoo.

Go to this link to see pictures:

http://s1171.photobucket.com/albums/r547/rfcf2trips/The%20Bahamas%20-%20Ardastra%20Zoo/

I'm still uploading some pictures but you can at least see the beginning of our trip to the Zoo.

Definitely try to go to the Zoo. It was fun.

Time is so that you see the Flamingo Walk and Feeding the Parrots. Feeding the parrots apples was the best part.

Does anyone have the actual address to the Zoo? When I Google map it, it shows it being 10 miles from the pier and from what I'm reading that's not correct. (IT also showed the British Colonial Hilton that far away as well). Thanks!

Ardastra is on Chippingham Rd. The street can be found across the street from the Arawak Cay exit, and next to Haynes Oval and Fort Charlotte.. about 1/ 1.5 mile from downtown and the port.

British Colonial Hilton is located at the end of the wharf.. about 4 blocks from port

• 2 weeks later...
Take a Jitney or a Taxi to the Zoo. It can be a long walk.

The Jitney #10 will drop you off at the bottom of the hill.

I took pictures of our walk from the Jitney to the Zoo.

Go to this link to see pictures:

http://s1171.photobucket.com/albums/r547/rfcf2trips/The%20Bahamas%20-%20Ardastra%20Zoo/

I'm still uploading some pictures but you can at least see the beginning of our trip to the Zoo.

Definitely try to go to the Zoo. It was fun.

Time is so that you see the Flamingo Walk and Feeding the Parrots. Feeding the parrots apples was the best part.

Thanks for the photos and videos! I didn't find a way to go directly to a particular photo# so did not see all 249 of them! Did you film the "show" the flamingos did?

Thanks for the photos rfcf2trips. For anyone that has been to the zoo, how close is the Humane Society of the Bahamas? I know it is on the same road (Chippingham?) just wondering if I could walk to it and visit while visiting the zoo in the same day.

Thanks!

The Humane Society? OH NO, that is one place my husband would NOT let me go. I would want to adopt every pet there!

I have a hard enough time staying away from the ones here. All 3 of our fur baby girls are rescues. My heart goes out to them.

Terri

The Humane Society? OH NO, that is one place my husband would NOT let me go. I would want to adopt every pet there!

I have a hard enough time staying away from the ones here. All 3 of our fur baby girls are rescues. My heart goes out to them.

Terri

I do animal rescue work here in North Carolina and have done so for over 10 years. So I am over the "I need to adopt every single one of them". The Humane Society is doing amazing work in the Bahamas on a shoe string budget so I'd like to stop by and buy a tshirt from their gift shop and make a donation. And my daughter and I could play with the animals for a bit since we will be missing our two dogs and two cats at home! I just saw in the photo of the sign for the zoo that the humane society was up the same road. So I did a little research about it but I can't seem to find out how close it is to the zoo and if it is in walking distance or if the road is 6 miles long!

Thanks for the photos rfcf2trips. For anyone that has been to the zoo, how close is the Humane Society of the Bahamas? I know it is on the same road (Chippingham?) just wondering if I could walk to it and visit while visiting the zoo in the same day.

Thanks!

If you are walking up the road, which is called Chippingham, (from the main street), you will see the Humane Society before getting to the zoo. Actually, you will HEAR it before you see it ;-)

It will be on the left side.

You will be turning towards the right (away from it) in order to get to the Zoo.

Sorry, I didn't take any pictures of it....

• 2 months later...

We were there just last Wednesday. One way cab fare from the port was $12 plus tip for three passengers. Admission for adults and teens was $16 per person. The place is small and has seen better days, but it is well worth a visit. We enjoyed our two hours there. They have several animals that I have seldom seen in other zoos, such as servals, capybaras, and a white peacock. The dory feeding was quite fun. They give you pieces of apple to hold and you are swarmed by small parrots. Walking among the flamingos was interesting too. They have a food stand that serves conch fritters, rum punch, and beer along with more typical fare. I can post some shots of you'd like.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Archived