Class act without being stuffy?

MV21

I’ve cruised before on Princess and we are thinking of ‘upgrading’ to Silversea.

However, we like Princess and on their board at the moment there is a thread running about "What do you like about Princess?" A number of the response I could connect with such as: Anytime Dining; Freshwater pools; Pools open 24/7; and a comment that summed it up for me, "They are a class act without being stuffy".

How does Silversea compare – Thanks

Richard

Silversea is GREAT..... Fewer people, better chance to meet others...never sign for drinks.....no nickle & diming...eat when you want with whom you want.... Now and again you will find a couple of snobs...but I have found them on all ships...just ignore them, they are usually phoneys. The more upper class people are the more down to earth.... A real fun time on the ships, and we've sailed them over 600 days, so can truly show that we do know about them

Silversea is not stuffy - but it IS understated. The people are great, the staff is great, and the rooms are great. The ports are less crowded, you likely will NEVER wait in a line to go somewhere or get something. Many crew (and officers) will know you by name at the end of the cruise. Your every need will be anticipated.

However... there is little nightlife beyond talking to people in the bar or seeing an "okay-but not great" show. There is no maniacal social director creating odd contests and humiliating passengers. There are few planned activities at all.

Instead there is always a chaise lounge available at the pool, and cold towels and drinks to be provided for your comfort. You may order food as you wish - even dining is personalized. There are no midnight chocolate extravaganzas - but Godiva is placed on your bed pillow each night. Whatever you ask for, typically, is provided.

There will (typically) be no children aboard. Your room will feel like a hotel room instead of a closet.

SS is very international. I have taken two cruises, and both times while Americans were still at least 40%, there was a mix of Brits, South Americans, and Europeans of many countries. This gives the cruise a very international flavor. All announcements, etc. are in English, and the international pax speak English for the most part. You may find you will strike up some interesting conversations. For example, on our last cruise there was an elderly English lady traveling alone. We conversed on an excursion one day, invited her to dine with us, and found she was a retired Member of the English Parliament - a district up north. She had very interesting stories to tell. We had some delightful conversations.

Glenda

The more upper class people are the more down to earth....

It is not politically correct to say this, but you meet higher social economic class of people on Silversea who are used to expect and get better service. As they are more confident of themselves, they can afford to be nice and friendly. They are definitely not stuffy, because they don't have to show off. You'll be amazed by the difference in both passengers and service. If you take the same size room on Princess, by the time you figure adding tips, drinks, bottled water and all other nickle and dime stuff Princess tack on your basic fare for the same size room, you see Silversea is good value in my opinion.

I have to say entertainment on Silversea is no match for Princess. But lectures are far superior.

Thats almost true Neviboy.

Except for one big difference, Silversea is "all inlcusive" including open bar, from the moment you board till the the time you disembark.

Radisson is not. They only provide bar service at meal time not 24/7 like Silversea.

That is a very big difference, Radisson is not "all inclusive".

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

Okay, Silverseas and Seabourn are ALL INCLUSIVE, and Radisson is semi- meaning wine with dinner.

We just did Seabourn and want to go again if we can find a decent rate like the one we just did as even 50% off is still pretty strong. Who else sails in this category?

Radisson ships are almost the same. Except that they have 700 passengers on Mariner and Voyager. Everything said about SilverSea applies to Radisson.
Almost but not quite. It isn't in the same league. I found Radisson service good but not quite polished and not as smooth as Silversea. I was surprised to see how thin the towels were. They don't provide many things that gives you the feeling of well-being; cold towls and bottles of water on tour buses, etc., but for what they charge I understand that they can't. Passengers aren't as interesting as on Silversea, either. They are targetting the market between mass and true luxuary lines, and it's a tough place to be. Still I think Radisson is one of the best good value around.

I have served truly wealthy people for 40 years, and had access to financial statements for all of them. The snobs, showoffs are usually fourflushers. The truly top flight people in the US are almost always very nice and polite folks. So Silversea is likely to be the same.

I have served truly wealthy people for 40 years, and had access to financial statements for all of them. The snobs, showoffs are usually fourflushers. The truly top flight people in the US are almost always very nice and polite folks. So Silversea is likely to be the same.
Right you are!

Archived