St. John's, Newfoundland

BAYA

HI -

Can anyone tell me the best currency to have in St. John's Newfoundland? Are US # accepted as readily as Canadian dollars?

I see the the local bus (www.metrobus.com) asks for "exact change" only ... is that Canadian or US? We are seriously considering taking the local bus because we get to interact with the citizens with no pretension (we are friendly & outgoing, so meeting others is never a problem). Can we take a bus from the pier? Do buses go to Cape Spear and to Quidi Vidi Village? Is this a good idea? :)

Also, we are in St. John's on Tues. Aug. 5 from noon - 8 p.m., and my understanding is that St. John's Time is occurring that day. Will that mean there will be many, many more visitors in town? Any guesses?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Liz

Like any other Canadian city, currency is the Canadian dollar. I assume that most merchants will accept US dollars. Some will charge an exchange rate but I'm sure most will take it at par.

St. John's Time doesn't occur on just one day, it is spread out over 11 days. Yes, it will be busy especially because it's the last day of the George St Festival and the following day is "Regatta Day". It is the oldest sporting event in North America and one of the highlights of the summer. A lot of us plan our vacations specifically to be there for the George St festival and Regatta Day. The entire downtown core will be busy but Aug 5 is the last night of George St Festival so I can guarantee that it will be rockin'. In the evening, George St. will be roped off and there will be an admittance fee, over 19 only. You are allowed to buy drinks from the bars and drink them outside on the streets to watch the live music. If you don't like wall to wall crowds (some very drunk) and loud live music or if you have mobility problems, then it's probably not for you. Otherwise, see you there!

http://www.stjohnstime.ca/

As far as public transit, I don't believe it goes to either Signal Hill or Cape Spear but taxis are usually plentiful. #15 goes to Quidi Vidi but you will need to transfer from possibly #10 on Water St at the Military Rd/Forest Rd stop (close to the Fairmont). I am not sure if the coin receptacles on buses will accept US coin so it's best to have Canadian. I always rent a car when I'm there but rental cars sell out quickly in St. John's.

Could someone tell me if Signal Hill is in walking distance of the pier?

Thanks,

Moya

Unless you are used to hiking, I would not consider it to be within walking distance. I am not sure where the cruise ships dock in St. John's but if they dock on the west side of the harbour, you are already a fair distance from the base of Signal Hill Rd which starts on the east end of Duckworth St close to the Fairmont Newfoundland Hotel. It is uphill from there and even if it's a nice day, it can be incredibly windy.

• 2 months later...

I know this is late, but thought posting here would help others next season.

Just returned from a land vacation in St John's. We were linked up with a local guide named Dave who took our group of 5 in his 7 passenger van on a 3 hour tour to Cape Spear, Signal Hill and several local fishing villages.

With no hurry and lots of talking we ended up with a 4 1/2 hour tour.

Amazingly entertaining and worth a repeat when I go back to Nfdl.

www.rjtours.ca

I would like to port into this city, it must have been beautiful so early in the morning coming through that misty fog into the city.

Archived