Which Ship??

devon girl

I know this is a similar question to one previously asked, but I thought all you good people out there wouldn't mind helping me out! Me and OH want to go to the Baltics 2009, we have cruised once before on Oceana to the fjords, and were due to go again on Oceana this June, again to the fjords, but because of ill health we are having to cancel. If we can choose another P and O cruise, we can transfer our deposit. Now the problem being, which ship to choose! Looking at the brochure sent with the Portunus mag, all the ships bar Oceana go to the Baltics next year, and we're unsure of which one to opt for. Bit of background about us, both early 40's, quite happy with a pint/cocktail sitting people watching, not bothered whether children around or not (used to be one myself!). The thing we liked about Oceana was the freedom dining, as on all nights except one, we got the time of dining we wanted and on a table of 2, (OH has diabetes and injects each meal time & feels more comfortable if he can be discreet)

Can anybody out there give us a few tips/pointers please?

You seem to have enjoyed Oceana Devon Girl, so I would suggest you think about Ventura as it is probably the most similar in terms of decor etc. and will have a freedom dining choice. If she is too big for your taste, then Aurora could also be an option but she will not have a freedom dining choice as such. There is usually alternative dining in the Orangery in the evenings but it is not the same menu choice as the main dining rooms.

Hope that helps,

Andrew

I know this is a similar question to one previously asked, but I thought all you good people out there wouldn't mind helping me out! Me and OH want to go to the Baltics 2009, we have cruised once before on Oceana to the fjords, and were due to go again on Oceana this June, again to the fjords, but because of ill health we are having to cancel. If we can choose another P and O cruise, we can transfer our deposit. Now the problem being, which ship to choose! Looking at the brochure sent with the Portunus mag, all the ships bar Oceana go to the Baltics next year, and we're unsure of which one to opt for. Bit of background about us, both early 40's, quite happy with a pint/cocktail sitting people watching, not bothered whether children around or not (used to be one myself!). The thing we liked about Oceana was the freedom dining, as on all nights except one, we got the time of dining we wanted and on a table of 2, (OH has diabetes and injects each meal time & feels more comfortable if he can be discreet)

Can anybody out there give us a few tips/pointers please?

I would have said Aurora apart from the freedom dining. We did the fjords on Oceana but I wish we had been on Aurora's lovely stern for the sailaways down the fjords.

The only other ship with freedom dining is Ventura.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Thanks for your thoughts. We've now made the decision, Arcadia in August, in the end we looked at all the ships, all the dates & all the ports & this one ticked all the right boxes! Have asked TA to try to get us table for 2 (although expect this unlikely but Husband maybe on a pump by then, therefore not so much of a problem) and 2nd sitting.

Maybe as it was our first cruise and didn't really know what to expect, we found Oceana fabulous, we spent every sailaway at the back of the ship, & thoroughly enjoyed the scenery, mind you we were very spoilt with fantastic weather.

All we have to do now is start the savings fund, but I'm looking forward already!

Arcadia in August, in the end we looked at all the ships,

Have asked TA to try to get us table for 2

2nd sitting.

Or ask your TA to get you a table right at the aft end of the dining room. Then you can look astern as you cruise from your last port. We had a table for 6 but it was right by the servign station. Make it clear that you don't want that either.

Then as soon as you can on board leg it to the dining room as the Maitre d will have probably done the seating quite differently from what was requested.

Archived