Champagne???

I contacted Seabourn, and it has been explained that because of supply limitations, they needed to be flexible with the house champagne. They have been serving Nicolas Feuillatte as a replacement for the Heidseick Monopole Blue Top. (when vast supplies are not available)

Host Dan

PS I haven't been served Echo, but that doesn't mean that they don't of course!

I contacted Seabourn, and it has been explained that because of supply limitations, they needed to be flexible with the house champagne. They have been serving Nicolas Feuillatte as a replacement for the Heidseick Monopole Blue Top. (when vast supplies are not available)

Host Dan

PS I haven't been served Echo, but that doesn't mean that they don't of course!

They did served ECHO, when Carnival took over! I sailed Seaborn before and it was a dream vacation come true, after Carnival took over it was a big slide down of servie, food and quality.

The best cruises I have ever taken was on the SeaGoddess ships! To bad they are gone!

Geez, that is sort of ancient history. Seabourn had its issues when first taken over (which is, in fact, probably why it was!), but things have changed substantially since then. No wonder I had no memory of Echo being served!

The Sea Godsesses live on, though, under another well known name: SeaDream.

Geez, that is sort of ancient history. Seabourn had its issues when first taken over (which is, in fact, probably why it was!), but things have changed substantially since then. No wonder I had no memory of Echo being served!

The Sea Godsesses live on, though, under another well known name: SeaDream.

I know SeaDream...it doesn't come close to the luxury of service & quality received on SeaGoddess! No wonder the prices are (almost) per week what you paid on SeaGoddess a night.

I know SeaDream...it doesn't come close to the luxury of service & quality received on SeaGoddess! No wonder the prices are (almost) per week what you paid on SeaGoddess a night.

????

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: That is something I have never heard...ever; not from a single client or industry person.

FYI, I have a 2000 Crystal Trophy in my office from the 2000 Berlitz ratings and the Seabourn triplets were a mere 3 points behind the Seabourn Sea Goddess twins as the top 5 small cruise ships. I don't think Doug Ward would pull any punches and if it was that different an experience that would not be possible. In fact, the twins were sold off in part because of their limitations.

I am fascinated by the "brand" vs. taste issue. I have spent many years enjoying wines for what they are, not what is on the label. There is a lot of good stuff out there regardless of where it is from. The days of any French champagne being better than any California sparking wine are well and truly gone. There are some wonderful Louis Roederer California wines which blow the doors off of many French counterparts.

BTW, Seabourn has served Monopole for years; not Echo. And Cristal goes for $275 on Regent; not $2,500 as in some trendy club. (Not a bad price all considered; not what is charged at Costco, but not bad.)

Cremant and champagne and California sparklers are sparkling wines made in the methode champenoise (fermented in the bottle). This accounts for the fine bubbles. Andre, for example, is made in the "charmat" (bulk process) where they simply inject CO2 into the wine. That accounts for the larger 7up style bubbles. "Champagne" is simply the French region where the wine comes from and Cremant is French too, just not from the Champagne region.

As for brand vs. taste - it's a funny thing. We have many times had New Years Eve parties where we blind taste a large number of French, California and Spanish bubblies (doubtless all methode champenoise). The results are very often surprising. It turns out that there is very little correlation between the famous brands or price point. Sometimes a California wine won, sometimes a French, and never a Dom. I recall the past winners being a Heidsack Monopole, a Mumms Cordon Rouge and a Mum's Brut Prestige. I have and chuckled at many who say they prefer and would know only a particular expensive brand name Champagne, then wholly fail to identify or prefer it in a blind tasting.

Bag 'em up and try it sometime. You may be surprised which wine tickles your nose and your fancy.

Very well said. It is a great joy to truly enjoy wine rather than the label!:D

But to each his/her own. So if it is the label or price someone gets a kick out of, then great for them. I don't want to ruin their enjoyment.:)

Archived