Champagne???

I have still one unanswered question about RSSC, which even the reservation agent couldn't tell me.

Does somebody knows, what kind of Champagne they serve complimentary on RSSC ships??? Is it a French Champagne, California Sparkling, is it different from ship to ship and from cruise to cruise???

Thank you for all your input!

I just read that KRUG sells for $1500 a bottle !!!

On one cruise we had a 'house' champagne in the bucket, on departure, and a gift from RSSC on the shelf. The latter was Piper Heidsick.

$1500??? :eek: You can buy Krug Grand Cuvee online for $169....

Sorry but no beverage is worth that much to me. I don't think I'd want to pay that much for a beverage even if I WAS a member of the glitterati.

$1500??? :eek: You can buy Krug Grand Cuvee online for $169....

Sorry but no beverage is worth that much to me. I don't think I'd want to pay that much for a beverage even if I WAS a member of the glitterati.

Cristal is up to $2500 a bottle in a real good Hotel or Nighclub!

YES a trendy Hotel and the fitting lifestyle to it can per day higher then a whole week on a luxury vessel...insane, but different!

I saved a very humourous post by uk1 dated 05/20/05.

"Choosing a wine without a wine list." Now is a good time for you all to look it up and read, especially since the subject is live.

Am I breaking a board rule ? Hope not.

You hit my pet peeve with RSSC (I love this line, please note!) - The Crémant de la Loire that they serve as (a) a welcome drink and (b) which you find in your suite is NOT champagne...it is a sparkling wine, and not from the Champagne area of France so is not appelation contrôlée and cannot legally be called champagne. It is also, in my opinion, rather thin and lacks what I would call "nose" or bouquet.

I have, several times, pointed out to RSSC that they cannot legally call this mousseux champagne...but they do...

That said - the Heidseick they serve in the bars is not, I believe "Piper Heidseick" but another brand. It is very drinkable, and it is free. If you want to splash out you can order Veuve Cliquot (my personal favourite!) and the last time we did this we paid (I believe) USD75 per bottle.

Santé!:)

The only champagne I saw being served on our December Mariner cruise was Heidsieck Monopole Blue Top. It is non vintage and sells for about $27+ in the wine stores. It is very difficult to find quality champagne these days for under $30.

As a realist, I never expected the sparkler in the suite to be Dom or Cristal!:rolleyes:

In a blind tasting of entry and moderately priced sparkling wines, many in my circle put a nice Crémant above White Star. I think the Heidseck Monopole is pretty good for the price point and I'd be happy to be served this. My point is, I would rather have a good Crémant, Prosecco or whatever to a cheap champagne. I'd be interested if others might feel similarly.

Ther is good and bad all over! If somebody calls it luxury and tells me French Champagne is included...I do expect a decent French Champagne...can be a no name...which could be better anyhow. For example I do hate Dom Perignon, which is totally overrated and overpriced...if I drink that bad stuff, only as a mimosa.

I would never expect Cristal or Krug or so on as the complimentary, but a ok Mumm, Piper or Pommery (POP) can do!

I know everybody has to safe $...but that doesn't mean to safe in quality or tatse.

They also charge for Vueve on the so high acclaimed Silversea or Seabourn! I remember when Seabourn served ECHO, a California Sparkling as their "French" Champagne.

You will be able to get a V.S.O.P. from mostly the Major Cognac Houses. Absolut Vodka and so on!

In a blind tasting of entry and moderately priced sparkling wines, many in my circle put a nice Crémant above White Star. I think the Heidseck Monopole is pretty good for the price point and I'd be happy to be served this. My point is, I would rather have a good Crémant, Prosecco or whatever to a cheap champagne. I'd be interested if others might feel similarly.

I disagree with your opinion - I've never read of a blind tasting acknowledging cremant as equal to, or superior to, champagne.

Cremant is typically served as an ingredient in mixed drinks (Kir royale/mimosa) or as a cheaper alternative to champagne. White Star is a slightly sweeter version of the traditional Moet et Chandon Brut Imperial - quite popular in the USA. While I personally prefer a drier bubbly, I still believe the "champagne" (chalky) taste is apparent in the White Star. Cremant aspires to be White Star but it is not and never will be. That accounts for the large price differential and its placement as the cheaper "house sparkler" alternative for Regent.

Champagne is overpriced much like beluga caviar. If a cruise line can provide a more cost-conscious alternative without causing an uproar, it will.

Since Regent offers both, I suggest one ask for a glass of Regent "cremant" side-by-side with a glass of Piper-Heidsieck. Taste both before having them identified by the bartender. I would be most interested to reading the taste test results!

johnny

Johnny -

what a great idea! I am sure that anyone who did this would see that the Crémant (no matter how good) is "thin" when directly compared to a decent champagne...and it is not necessary that the champagne cost a lot. I know a grower in the Champagne area who sells his wine for around 12 Euros a bottle and I personally think it is as good as Cliquot. However his wine, sadly, is not on the mass market! There are champagnes ...and champagnes!

I am fascinated by the "brand" vs. taste issue. I have spent many years enjoying wines for what they are, not what is on the label. There is a lot of good stuff out there regardless of where it is from. The days of any French champagne being better than any California sparking wine are well and truly gone. There are some wonderful Louis Roederer California wines which blow the doors off of many French counterparts.

BTW, Seabourn has served Monopole for years; not Echo. And Cristal goes for $275 on Regent; not $2,500 as in some trendy club. (Not a bad price all considered; not what is charged at Costco, but not bad.)

I am fascinated by the "brand" vs. taste issue. I have spent many years enjoying wines for what they are, not what is on the label. There is a lot of good stuff out there regardless of where it is from. The days of any French champagne being better than any California sparking wine are well and truly gone. There are some wonderful Louis Roederer California wines which blow the doors off of many French counterparts.

BTW, Seabourn has served Monopole for years; not Echo. And Cristal goes for $275 on Regent; not $2,500 as in some trendy club. (Not a bad price all considered; not what is charged at Costco, but not bad.)

Seabourn stopped serving Monopole Blue Top about 2 years ago. FYI

Host Dan

Archived