With Airlines going to 1 bag limit, how are you packing "light"?

Jacquelyn11

Our cruise is over a year away, but in May 2008 Delta is imposing the 1 bag limit/pp on flights with in the US, PR and Virgin Islands and charging for extra ones. I'm used to bring my own snorkel gear, camp table, drinks, snacks, and other "stuff"! On a two week trip to NYC last year, we 'shipped' some extras a few days before.

I also purchased a travel "scale" to weigh baggage, to keep us under the 50 lb limit. Saw them at Target for about $10 the other day.

What other suggestions do you have for us that "have to bring it all with us?"

Jacquelyn :D

You're probably going to have to sacrifice the gear and camp table (why a camp table????). There's tons of food on the ship, so why snacks? That takes up valuable space. And, remember, it's not just one bag per family, so if you have yourself, spouse and two kids, that's four bags, which is a lot of luggage. You need to pick up those packing bags or cubes that compress clothes to a very thin size. Those things really work.

We have some of the 'space bags' that you can roll the air out of, but the weight of the clothes are the same. My 2 DS are teens, so it's like packing 4 adults.

We have always brought a 'camp table' to be able to eat outside on our balcony. We got it from Camp Time and it weighs about 11 lbs. Two extra camp stools weigh about 1 lb total. This trip we have a corner aft on the RCL Mariner of the Seas. The balcony is larger than most, so I want to be able to utilize it by having my own private dining area for breakfast. We have always enjoyed this as a family and I would hate to give it up!

Already planning to cut out most of the dressy clothes and stay 'cruise casual' for dinner. People don't "dress to the nines" like they used to years ago on my first cruises. I'm sure I'm not the only one who will wear the same outfit twice to dinner!

The shipping companies need to jump on this and offer 'ship to your port and home' deals and set up stores at the cruise terminals. Hmmm.... a new business venture?

Thanks for all the ideas! Keep em' coming!

Jacquelyn :D

I'm thinking I'll pack fewer outfits, use the onboard laundry service, and re-wear outfits. This should mean less luggage (otherwise how am I possibly going to get 10 days of day and evening outfits for 4 people into 4 bags :confused:) and very little dirty laundry coming home with us :D.

If you have a corner aft balcony, maybe you can have the cabin steward bring you extra chairs - that way, you don't need to bring your extra stools. That should at least save you some room. Definitely something to compress your clothes will help. Even though the weight is the same, it'll help fit more things. You can distribute heavier things amongst the four bags and hopefully keep the weight down.

Limit shoes - those take up a lot of space and are often heavy.

As far as snacks, maybe you can buy some when you get to your port city, rather than bringing them all the way from home. That way you're still bringing your own food aboard, but don't have to fly it to your destination.

I was thinking the exact same thing. The money they charge to bring an extra bag, could be money that I use on my cruise! So although my cruise is a year out, I am carefully planning everything out. On what clothing to bring, what shoes will go with most of everything and I am definitly using the on board laundry to reuse some of my outfits.

Like Cruisinmama, I too have 4 in my family so that means 4 bags for us. But I still going to pack light because one time I packed stuff that I didn't wear at all.

I am a super compact packer., I hate checking bags and we'll often do carryons only. For example, we did a 4 week trip to Australia/New Zealand in January (including a 12 day cruise) and only used one carryon suitcase and one personal bag per person. Actually, my DS didn't have a personal bag. Of course, we weren't carrying a camp table! :D

One of my secrets is only to pack one outfit per day. If the trip is more than 7 days, then I plan on re-wearing. Princess is terrific, because they have the self-serve laundry. I just bring detergent and dryer sheets and quarters and wash away. So 7 outfits per person, plus one pair of pjs, 2 bathing suits and coverup, and formal clothes. For boys. you don't even need 7 complete outfits. Just 3 pairs of shorts and 2 pairs of long pants for dinner (neutral colors like beige and navy so they go with everything) plus 7 shirts/tops. For girls, bring 7 sundresses and you're done!

Another thing I do is limit shoes as much as possible. Talk about wasted space in your suitcase! My DH likes to bring a pair of sneakers to work out in, but those things are HUGE! One pair is about 40% of the space inside a carryon suitcase. He doesn't wear them for anything but the gym, either, so I usually convince him just to wear his water sandals instead the one or two times he goes while on the cruise. The rest of the time he wears nice loafers (during the day and to casual dinners. The water sandals are key because you can wear them as nice sandals and to the beach. Then there are the formal night shoes. If you want to save room you can rent formal wear and shoes before you go. So basically DH wears his loafers on the plane and packs only formal shoes and the water sandals. The formal shoes I line with plastic bags and stuff them full of socks and underwear. I mean STUFF!!!! Why waste that wonderful space inside? And the sandals squish flat very nicely. I do the same for my shoes and the kids' shoes.

Another big tip is to wear your bulkiest./heaviest clothes on the plane including any jackets/sweaters or hats you will be needing. This takes them out of your suitcase and out of your luggage. You can always take them off on the plane if you're uncomfortable, although honestly I find most planes too cold and I'm glad for the extra warmth!

I do other things as well, but these are off the top of my head.

Just a shoe idea...we bought the lands end water shoes that resemble tennis shoes. We used then on dry excursions with socks, and just removed the socks on wet trips. They dried easily and worked fine as gym shoes as well. We actually got by with one pair of "dress/dinner" shoes per person and one pair of water/tennis shoes. Saved a ton of space from our first cruise where two of us took over 10 pairs of shoes!!!

I live in Florida and drive to the cruise ports, but I still try to keep to the one bag limit, just because it is easier for me to get it from parking to the ship, off the ship, etc. Over the years I have become more casual and comfortable with my attire and bring less evening/formal wear. I also do a load of laundry half way through my trip. Yes, it takes time and who really wants to do laundry on vacation, but it really helps me pack light. Especially when cruising with my kids - wash and recycle outfits is a must!

Then my dh reminded me that 1 checked bag each means 5 pieces of luggage for us. We also then get the 1 carry-on & 1 personal item to carry on. For dh that means his laptop bag & a small luggage. For me, it is the camera gear & a small luggage. I stick my purse in the with the camera stuff. Then the 3 kids with either a backpack or small luggage. I think we will be fine. My biggest problem will be the 50 pound thing. I'm a long time overpacker, but will be more careful due to the weight limitations.

Don't underestimate how much you can fit in a carry-on suitcase. Good luck & enjoy your cruise.

Towanda

We save up old socks and underwear during the year. On a 2 week trip for example, we bring along 1 week of everything and do laundry mid-trip. During the second week, the old socks and underwear get thrown away after they are worn one last time. On a 1 week trip we don't do laundry and discard them as soon as they are worn.

Archived