Just returned on Insignia

hezzy

We just returned last night from a 12 day Insignia cruise Rome to Athens. We had a wonderful time and now cannot imagine being on any other cruise line. The ship was wonderful and clean. The staff was the very best. Every request was met with a smile and every effort to please.

The things that were wrong were so minor, they really didn't matter to us. They are still working out issues with the new satellite tv system so some people were upset with that.

We thought the food was excellent. We ate at Polo twice and Toscana twice. The service was good and attentive. The only slow service was sometimes the wine stewards would be tied up with a large table (8 or 10 people) and you might have your main course before you could order wine. Some of them were better at handling their tables than others. We didn't order wine a couple of times because they didn't come to our table until we had our food.

We were in a penthouse, 8010. It was very quiet and extremely well maintained. The cabin stewards were excellent. Our butler was very good, we just didn't ask a lot of him.

The entertainment was ok. Two singers, a guitar player, a juggler. We really liked the juggler and the guitar player. They singers were extremely talented but we felt their song choices were a bit dated at times. They were both male singers and we were disappointed when one chose a Doris Day song from Calamity Jane. It was just not suitable for his talent. They sang Irving Berlin, Cole Porter and others. Just not what we expected. Obviously, we did not cruise Oceania for the entertainment.

Overall, it was a really wonderful cruise and I would love to repeat it.

We docked in Piraeus which is the dock in Athens. I really don't have much more information than than. We used transfers from Oceania so I did not do any research for that port. A lot of people told us that we could do them cheaper by ourselves but we just decided to let them make those arrangements. I must say that all of our transfers were perfect. No foul ups or anything that we could complain about. I will warn you that the traffic to the Athens airport from the dock was terrible and we left the ship at 6:35 am. The Oceania hostess told us it was always that heavy to the airport.

Good luck. Hope you have as great a cruise as we did.

We also loved Insignia and were in 8001. I agree that it was a nice area & we just didn't know what to do with our butler, because the steward took care of everything. The entertainment was not very good on our cruise, but we were on a transatlantic with many sea days & the lack here was really felt. Did you enjoy the ice cream? We sure did:) . I wish they sold future cruise credits like Princess does for future bookings.

Jan

We just returned last night from a 12 day Insignia cruise Rome to Athens. We had a wonderful time and now cannot imagine being on any other cruise line.

May I ask what other cruiselines you have been on?

JimandStan

I was just on the 4/4 Insignia, Rome to Athens, and used private transfer via Athens by Taxi from the ship docked in Pireaus to the Athens airport. It is a family owned business founded by a Greek gentleman, Paul, who lived for some time in America. You can find more information at this website: www.athenstaxi.org

The arrangement was made by email and the Mercedes taxi was waiting for me at the terminal, as planned, at 7:30AM; the driver, Paul's nephew, was cordial, very polite, informative and helpful. The fee was 50 Euro and I will certainly use them again when I am next in Athens.

This was our first cruise. We did a lot of research and talked to friends who had many cruises under their belt. Oceania came to the top as what we thought we would like. It really was wonderful and I cannot imagine being on a ship any larger.

About the ice cream. It was great. Different flavors everyday along with the regulars, strawberry, vanilla, and chocolat. Also, always a sugar free offering. Many of the sugar free desserts were exceptional.

The arrangement was made by email and the Mercedes taxi was waiting for me at the terminal, as planned, at 7:30AM; the driver, Paul's nephew, was cordial, very polite, informative and helpful. The fee was 50 Euro and I will certainly use them again when I am next in Athens.

KCNO,

Thanks for the web site and information! Can AthensTaxi arrange for a larger car than the one pictured?

Or, Did it seem that they owned that car?

We'll be traveling with at least one other couple, and judging from her onboard wardrobe, the wife still travels with steamer trunks! ;)

In answer to the weather question, it was really great except for one day. The day we were to anchor at Amalfi, the seas were too high for the tenders and weather was inclement. The Captain decided to go on to Sorrento so we would have 2 days there instead. Also, some of the passengers could make their Amalfi excursions from Sorrento. We did not have an excursion planned so we were not bothered by this.

When we arrived at Sorrento, it was pouring rain. The tenders took people into the port and quite a few people went. The ship arranged an alternate tour boat trip to Amalfi. We did not go, but talked to those who did. It turned out to be a disaster because of the high seas. It was a local operator who just went ahead inspite of the swells. Some of the people got sick and they demanded that he turn back. This day became a sea day for many of us. We did not mind because there was only one sea day on this 12 day cruise. I hated to miss Amalfi, but I would not have enjoyed it in the rain and wind.

The next day was beautiful and everyone enjoyed the scenery and tours in the area.

JimandStan

The following is from his website, www.athenstaxi.org so I think you're covered.

"For more than 4 passengers i also have a brand new, fully air-conditioned, very comfortable Mercedes minibus Sprinder. Vehicle classified as public transportation and is licensed by the Greek National Tourism Organization. Available for airport transfers and tours of Athens and all mainland Greece (min 4 / max 16). For larger families or small groups of people that want to have their own personal tour without sharing with others."

There is a photo of the Sprinder on the site if you want to see it.

This was our first cruise. We did a lot of research and talked to friends who had many cruises under their belt. Oceania came to the top as what we thought we would like.

I have to warn you, cruising is addictive. :)

You are so right! We are already trying to plan another. We loved Oceania but might want to try another line. It was a wonderful vacation and I would recommend it to anyone unless you like all the activities on a big ship. We just loved that it was port intensive and by evening, we were tired and just wanted a nice dinner, maybe a little music or socializing with other cruisers.

Did Oceania replace the 20'' TV for penthouse suites?

MJ123,

We were on the Regatta in March of 2008. During our cruise, Oceania replaced all of the standard cabins with LCD flatscreens and DVD players. At that time, they DID NOT replace the penthouse TV's, as they already had built in DVD players.

I'm thinking that they will replace the penthouse TV's just before the new satellite system is set to come online (as the new cable box is undoubtedly a DVR).

Hope this helped!

Archived