Another alcohol post.. forgive me...

[quote name='yogimax']And if you read your cruise documents, you will see that bringing alcohol onboard is forbidden and punishable by debarkation.

Sure sounds like a crime to me!:D[/quote]

[COLOR=red]Hey yogi? If YOU read the cruise docs, you will see that it doesn't mention anywhere in them that you can't bring alocohol on board.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]HEY BOOBOO? I think we need to pack some hooch in our pic-a-nic basket and smuggle it on the cruise. [/COLOR]

[quote name='Bakincakes']If RCI loses revenue in one place they will make it up in another.

Who do you think pays for theft in department stores? Those of us who don't steal do.

RCI isn't just going to absorb lost revenues. They will just cut the quality of items, like food. They will always protect their profit margin.

If pax smuggle they aren't buying drinks at the bar. They can say it is because of convenience and they don't want to wait for room service or it is too far to walk to a bar:rolleyes:.

A guy that robs a bank can always say the he held up a teller because he didn't want to wait at the drive through.:)[/quote]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]So, by this logic if I buy drinks on a cruise I'm helping the shareholders and increasing profits but, if I take another cruise and decide not to drink then I'm causing the quality of food to go down. I guess I better start drinking more on these cruises because the food has been sucking lately. Oh, and by the way, I'm a fan of rumrunners as well.:eek: [/COLOR][/SIZE]

I have been on four cruises in the past few years, and have taken alcohol on all of them - only to be caught once. And to be fair, we we're too ballsy and put TWO sixty ouncers in one suit case, so I almost would have been appalled if they hadn't caught us! However, we only had to pay like a $15 dollar corkage fee since we said it was a bottle of wine, and they didn't take it from us!

I've never been on RCCL before, and my first cruise with them is coming up in a month - I hope we have the same luck!

Question though, are you not allowed to bring one bottle of wine per person? This has been the rule for our Carnival cruises...

[quote name='Bakincakes']If RCI loses revenue in one place they will make it up in another.

Who do you think pays for theft in department stores? Those of us who don't steal do.

RCI isn't just going to absorb lost revenues. They will just cut the quality of items, like food. They will always protect their profit margin.

If pax smuggle they aren't buying drinks at the bar. They can say it is because of convenience and they don't want to wait for room service or it is too far to walk to a bar:rolleyes:.

A guy that robs a bank can always say the he held up a teller because he didn't want to wait at the drive through.:)[/quote]
Not the same as theft in a dept store. that's a paid product that then disappears to never be sold. If a passenger actually lifted a bottle of booze this would apply but that is not what we're talking about. Bank robber example is also just simply NOT the same thing. No one is physically taking product of value FROM the ship. It's more like bringing your own chocolate bar to the movies.

Further, your theory assumes that every pax is expected to generate a certain amount of, shall we say "booze revenue." That's ridiculous. DH doesn't drink (he's diabetic), there are plenty of Friends of Bill travellers, KIDS, underage pax, etc etc.

That would also assume that my never buying a photo causes the price of a photo to go up for everyone else.

That our never eating in a specialty restaurant raises the price for those that do.

That my refusal to pay those spa prices increases the price for everyone else.

That my not buying a soda card increases the price for those that do (like DH, who is addicted to Diet Pepsi - I'm fine with water and lemonade).

Sorry, I believe this is faulty logic. While they may determine an avg onboard spending amount per passenger, that means some will spend over it and some will spend under it. Deciding that they aren't making enuf on booze and then raising prices? I don't think so. Drinks would be well higher than they are now if this board is any indication of paid consumption. Show me the relationship between Very High Smuggling rates and increased cruise price.

[quote name='RetireeWannabee']Not the same as theft in a dept store. that's a paid product that then disappears to never be sold. If a passenger actually lifted a bottle of booze this would apply but that is not what we're talking about. Bank robber example is also just simply NOT the same thing. No one is physically taking product of value FROM the ship. It's more like bringing your own chocolate bar to the movies.

Further, your theory assumes that every pax is expected to generate a certain amount of, shall we say "booze revenue." That's ridiculous. DH doesn't drink (he's diabetic), there are plenty of Friends of Bill travellers, KIDS, underage pax, etc etc.

That would also assume that my never buying a photo causes the price of a photo to go up for everyone else.

That our never eating in a specialty restaurant raises the price for those that do.

That my refusal to pay those spa prices increases the price for everyone else.

That my not buying a soda card increases the price for those that do (like DH, who is addicted to Diet Pepsi - I'm fine with water and lemonade).

Sorry, I believe this is faulty logic. While they may determine an avg onboard spending amount per passenger, that means some will spend over it and some will spend under it. Deciding that they aren't making enuf on booze and then raising prices? I don't think so. Drinks would be well higher than they are now if this board is any indication of paid consumption. Show me the relationship between Very High Smuggling rates and increased cruise price.[/quote]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=red]Can I get an AMEN???!!!:D Smuggle on Sister![/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=red][/COLOR][/SIZE]

As you all well know, yes it is RCCL policy that no booze may be brought on board. So for those of you who think this is wrong because it's their policy, what about the fuel surcharge that they tried to get away with. Their policy at the time stated that once a deposit was made, that there would be no increase in fare unless a government agency imposes this additional fee. So it's O.K. for them, but for the smugglers, they should be tried, convicted and hung. :D And if its so illegal to bring aboard then why is it it sold on board. :confused: By the way I'm one of those smugglers who also averages $300-$400 bar bill each cruise. :eek: So I guess I'm not spending enough for the shareholders. :p

RCCL does not allow you to bring even one bottle of wine. Disney did - I don't remember if it was 1 bottle per person or per stateroom, but it was very nice to be able to relax with a glass of wine when you wanted. On Disney, the uncorking fee was only charged if you wished to bring the wine to the dining room. I wasn't comfortable sneaking wine aboard the Navigator this month but I did miss having it available in the stateroom. My daughter has a winery here in Florida (uses domestic and imported varietal grapes/juices) and had custom-labelled a couple of bon voyage bottles for us that we had to leave at home. I would gladly have paid a $15 fee to have been able to bring them onboard. (Hey, wine is good for you). Wish we could get RCCL to change their policy.

I think that RCCL monitors posts like this, lists who is supporting smuggling, cross checks their name with the roll call list, then puts them on a watch list where their luggage is screened by hand and sniffed by alcohol sensing dogs (boozehounds?)

I for one...ahem....am against smuggling....yeah...that's the ticket....see that RCCL? Make my towel animals extra fluffy.

BTW, what do they do with the confiscated alcohol? Serve it to the passengers? Dump it out? Give it to the porters?

BTW...ordered my rumrunners Sat and got them Monday. I plan on filling them with toothpaste. on the AOS. 64 oz of toothpaste....I brush my teeth 20-30 times per trip.

[quote name='FloridaPalms']RCCL does not allow you to bring even one bottle of wine. Disney did - I don't remember if it was 1 bottle per person or per stateroom, but it was very nice to be able to relax with a glass of wine when you wanted. [/quote]

I think Disney cruises should distribute a free bottle of wine to adults who are brave enough to be on a Disney ship with kids like that for a week :D

and a daily supply of valium......

[quote name='YoungPlatinumGuy']I think Disney cruises should distribute a free bottle of wine to adults who are brave enough to be on a Disney ship with kids like that for a week :D[/quote]

[quote name='YoungPlatinumGuy']I think Disney cruises should distribute a free bottle of wine to adults who are brave enough to be on a Disney ship with kids like that for a week :D[/quote]

[quote name='AllieInMD']and a daily supply of valium......[/quote]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=purple][B][I]And extra strength pina coladas!!! [/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='wayne_trisha']If I want to have a drink should I have to either wait who knows how long for room service to bring me a drink or have to leave my balcony to head out to a bar and get a drink? No I shouldn't. I'll be buying drinks all day by the pool and at the bars when I'm outside my cabin. I'm not an idiot who's going to drink myself into a stupor and walk the rails. I'm also fairly well convinced that this rule isn't just for safety. RCCL bans all alcohol so I can't even bring a bottle of wine to share with family. Why is that? PROFIT, that is why.[/QUOTE]

That sums it all up. No need for other posts. RCCL used to seem like a service company- that is why we all liked it. Now, it is clear with cuts in service, food, alcohol, etc. that it is just ticker symbol RCL- today's close at 31.16, and 31.37 afterhours.

Kind of funny how this same ol' horse beater keeps coming up again and again. If RCCL really wanted to, they could just check every bag, then there wouln't be a problem any more would there??
And Yes we probably wouldn't see our luggage for at least a day. then we would really hear the crying!
It's their company , their policies, so why can't people respect it. RCCL has a right to make a profit, if you don't like it, don't buy a ticket. If you are so much against what RCCL's policy is, then why not choose a line that doesn't have the policy, then you can do what you want. I don't necessarily agree with their policy, however I do respect it. Just because you decide to spend some money on booze, does not give you the right to bring your own, so pls don't try to justify it that way. If you can't afford it, then maybe you should try something else.
Cruising is not a land based vacation, so don't try to compare it to a hotel to justify bringing your own there, either.

[quote name='YoungPlatinumGuy']I think that RCCL monitors posts like this, lists who is supporting smuggling, cross checks their name with the roll call list, then puts them on a watch list where their luggage is screened by hand and sniffed by alcohol sensing dogs (boozehounds?)

I for one...ahem....am against smuggling....yeah...that's the ticket....see that RCCL? Make my towel animals extra fluffy.

BTW, what do they do with the confiscated alcohol? Serve it to the passengers? Dump it out? Give it to the porters?

BTW...ordered my rumrunners Sat and got them Monday. I plan on filling them with toothpaste. on the AOS. 64 oz of toothpaste....I brush my teeth 20-30 times per trip.[/quote]

A person can only speak about their own experiences. I got off Monarch last Monday morning and noticed the "confiscated" table, I'd never paid much attention to it until my fan was confiscated last November.

On the table were the usual irons and steamers, a couple fans, toys that looked like weapons and about 4 boxes full of booze bottles.

It's not breaking the law to try to conceal liquor, but it is against RCI rules and yes, to the person who stated they don't have this in their contract, yes they [B][I]do[/I][/B] have those rules published in the contract everyone signs. That some get by with smuggling is just how it goes, obviously not all do. They do state they can and will deny boarding to those who try to sneak alcohol onboard. So, you take your chances.

Pity, it was nice at one time to be able to have a drink in your cabin without cheating anyone. Even better was the fact that you could once buy a bottle and for a fee have it delivered to your cabin. Sadly the acts of others in the past who smuggled, drank in excess and fell off the ship changed the rules for all of us.

RCI and other cruise lines are just watching their backs, those lawsuits and negative publicity were not great for the company. Really, what in the world does anyone expect them to do :confused:

[quote name='Happy ks']A person can only speak about their own experiences. I got off Monarch last Monday morning and noticed the "confiscated" table, I'd never paid much attention to it until my fan was confiscated last November.

On the table were the usual irons and steamers, a couple fans, toys that looked like weapons and about 4 boxes full of booze bottles.

It's not breaking the law to try to conceal liquor, but it is against RCI rules and yes, to the person who stated they don't have this in their contract, yes they [B][I]do[/I][/B] have those rules published in the contract everyone signs. That some get by with smuggling is just how it goes, obviously not all do. They do state they can and will deny boarding to those who try to sneak alcohol onboard. So, you take your chances.

Pity, it was nice at one time to be able to have a drink in your cabin without cheating anyone. Even better was the fact that you could once buy a bottle and for a fee have it delivered to your cabin. Sadly the acts of others in the past who smuggled, drank in excess and fell off the ship changed the rules for all of us.

RCI and other cruise lines are just watching their backs, those lawsuits and negative publicity were not great for the company. Really, what in the world does anyone expect them to do :confused:[/quote]

People keep saying that RCI has changed the rules because of safety. That is obviousley NOT the case. They aren't denying people bringing their own liquor on board because of passengers "drinking in excess and falling off the ship". If that was the case they wouldn't be serving alcohol at all on the ship. The fact is you can go to the bar and drink 20 drinks if you really want to. The bottom line is profit.

And by the way, you are lecturing people about "smuggling" alcohol onboard, and yet I noticed that you tryed to "smuggle" a fan on board...what's your excuse? Kind of a double standard don't you think?

[quote name='JordanFam']People keep saying that RCI has changed the rules because of safety. That is obviousley NOT the case. They aren't denying people bringing their own liquor on board because of passengers "drinking in excess and falling off the ship". If that was the case they wouldn't be serving alcohol at all on the ship. The fact is you can go to the bar and drink 20 drinks if you really want to. The bottom line is profit.

And by the way, you are lecturing people about "smuggling" alcohol onboard, and yet I noticed that you tryed to "smuggle" a fan on board...what's your excuse? Kind of a double standard don't you think?[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]It is true that you can buy 20 drinks at any bar, just not all at the same time. The policy is in effect because that is the only way that RCI can control how much alcohol they sell. And the bartenders will not sell to someone that is obviously very intoxicated. I've seen them cut off guests before. The truth is that with this policy, if someone gets tanked and takes a dive off their balcony, RCI has it to fall back on. It has very little to do with loss of sales. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080]My opinion of course.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080]Aubie[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Now I know that we are "two nations divided by a common language" but this Rum Runner thing has got me !! I have drunk them in the States but are they also a container in this threads context ????

Luv
Cy

[quote name='JordanFam']People keep saying that RCI has changed the rules because of safety. That is obviousley NOT the case. They aren't denying people bringing their own liquor on board because of passengers "drinking in excess and falling off the ship". If that was the case they wouldn't be serving alcohol at all on the ship. The fact is you can go to the bar and drink 20 drinks if you really want to. [B]The bottom line is profit[/B].

And by the way, you are lecturing people about "smuggling" alcohol onboard, and yet I noticed that you tryed to "smuggle" a fan on board...what's your excuse? Kind of a double standard don't you think?[/quote]

If it was only about profit, then RCCL could just start enforcing the policy by denying boarding to pax they find smuggling, or packing alcohol on the ship, instead of just confiscating it. Although such a move probably wouldn't be good for PR, for a while, one would have to think it may stop a large portion of the BYOB by the pax and increase their revenues. How many smugglers, or packers as they say, would be willing to take the chance of losing the vacation, instead of losing the booze. RCCL is obviously not so concerned about the revenue yet, since they have not gone this far to try and eliminate it.

Archived