Decisions, Decisions.... HELP!!!!

Okay, so here's the problem. (Not that I thought there could ever be a problem with cruising) but...... there are me and my dh, his brother and his new wife TRYING to plan a cruise for September 2008. We are considering going to either the Southern/Eastern Caribbean or Mexican Riveria. We are trying to go as inexpensive as possible (although, I would really like a balcony) *sigh*. It is for mine and dh's 40th birthdays and our 11 year anniversary and brother-in-law and sister-in-law 1st anniversary. We absolutely just cannot decide on which cruise we want to go on... UGH! Anyway, they have never cruised before but dh and I have and, as you already know, are more than hooked.

Is there anything particular that you do to decide between cruises/cruiselines/cruiseships to finally choose one? Also, one thing we do know is that we would really like to go to St. Maarten if we choose the Southern/Eastern Caribbean. We are not taking our children with us so we do not want to go during the summer when the kids are rampant. Plus, we know it's cheaper to go in the fall rather than summer. But, the first or 2nd week of September is really the only open "window" we have to be able to go in.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Just for information's sake - we've sailed on Royal Caribbean's Majesty of the Seas (LOVED her) and also Holland America (can't recall ship - back in 1993 - nothing personal - too many older people on the ship - we were in our late 20's and the youngest people on the ship). Looking for a great time - doesn't really matter which ship as long as it is nice and has good service with a good iteniary.

Anyone up for the challenge?! ;)

Thanks in advance!

Hugs,

Trac~ :)

I love the southern caribbean. We have done it on the Adventure of the Seas and the Serenade. All the ports are great.

If I was going without the children I would do the Southern (just because it is a smaller ship and my daughter always loved the Voyager class ships). Another resason that I liked the Sereande was because it only have one sea day.

Thank you, Brenda for your quick reply. I would really like to have at least 2 sea days though so I don't feel like I am running constantly. We want to relax as much as possible. The last time we did a cruise, we ran non-stop the entire time and were worn out more when we got home than before we left. :)

Since you're from NJ, you could sail from there (Bayonne) on the Explorer and not have to pay to fly. They have a coupld of great routes at that time of the year.

Thank you, Dr. DNA - I am considering driving to Bayonne since we are so close and save our 2 "free" tickets for another time. I had the chance to read your Explorer of the Seas review and thought it was very good. I also noticed that you would take it again and that it was your first cruise. Have you had a chance to go on any other cruises since then? I was just wondering if there was a different ship that you might recommend over the Explorer by chance. Thanks again for your help!

Thank you, Dr. DNA - I am considering driving to Bayonne since we are so close and save our 2 "free" tickets for another time. I had the chance to read your Explorer of the Seas review and thought it was very good. I also noticed that you would take it again and that it was your first cruise. Have you had a chance to go on any other cruises since then? I was just wondering if there was a different ship that you might recommend over the Explorer by chance. Thanks again for your help!

We haven't been on another (I would love to but I'm the addict; my wife isn't) but have the Explorer booked again for next February for a 12 day Southern Caribbean. There were certainly some negatives on our cruise, but obviously we thought that the positives outweighed them because we'll be sailing her again. The convenience out of Bayonne is hard to beat! Cruises on the Explorer to the Caribbean are longer than others from Florida and comparable in price. Add in the cost of airfare and for us, the Explorer is the winner. I would love to sail on a Freedom class ship but you can't do it all. The 12 day is appealing to us now because once our son turns 5 and goes to school, it will probably be difficult to do with him.

Another cruise that we have strongly considered is the NCL's Dawn out of NY to Bermuda. You can't beat the price and 7 days in Bermuda sounds delightful. The Explorer's Bermuda is 5 days and more expensive. Many have negative comments about NCL but I'll try just about anything once and find out for myself. Personally, the freestyle dinning really appeals to me because with kids, one has to be flexiable. I'm hoping that they institute this option on RCCL before next February, which there have been rumors about on these boards.

Enjoy!!!!

Maybe it's because I live on the Gulf Coast (house was flooded by Katrina), but I would think about avoiding the Caribbean at that time of year. Hurricane season stretches June 1 to Nov. 30, but August and September are the especially risky months.

The Bermuda itinerary would keep you in the cooler waters of the Atlantic and at less risk. Of course, it's all luck of the draw, and this fall could be the one with an Atlantic hurricane.

Just a thought.

Thanks again, Dr. DNA for your feedback. I 've cruised twice before, but it's been 7 years almost now and I know things have changed. However, I am seriously considering the drive to Bayonne to help cut down on some funds. It took me over 4 years to convince my dh to go on a cruise and now that's all he wants to do! He's just the opposite of your wife, it sounds like. Some people really enjoy it and others don't. :) Hard to believe that about the 7 days to Bermuda being less expensive than the 5 days, but I like the sound of that itenierary as well.

Thanks again and happy cruising!

Maybe it's because I live on the Gulf Coast (house was flooded by Katrina), but I would think about avoiding the Caribbean at that time of year. Hurricane season stretches June 1 to Nov. 30, but August and September are the especially risky months.

The Bermuda itinerary would keep you in the cooler waters of the Atlantic and at less risk. Of course, it's all luck of the draw, and this fall could be the one with an Atlantic hurricane.

Just a thought.

Auplasty - thanks for your feedback. I know by cruising during Hurricane season can put a damper on things but we've not had a problem before - doesn't mean it won't happen this year though. However, my dh is also looking during the months of June, July and August as well, but I just don't want to cruise with a bunch of kids out of school since I won't be taking mine along. He did tell me we were making a decision tonight at least about the exact month and try to finalize it and be done with it. I am excited and hope that we can do that - then the real fun can begin - the planning! :)

P.S. I'm really sorry about your house and the Katrina hurricane.

Thanks again for your help and feedback!

Thanks Trac -

The house is back to normal.

I didn't mean to be a spoil sport! I don't blame you for wanting to go in fall - I think it would be a beautiful time to cruise, and I definitely understand about avoiding the summer trips with tons of kids. Understand, we are all very gun shy here because of our experience! I don't think you'll have any problems whenever you go. Best of luck and ENJOY!!!

Ann

PS You may notice that we are cruising the Caribbean June1 - first day of Hurricane season!

Thanks Trac -

The house is back to normal.

I didn't mean to be a spoil sport! I don't blame you for wanting to go in fall - I think it would be a beautiful time to cruise, and I definitely understand about avoiding the summer trips with tons of kids. Understand, we are all very gun shy here because of our experience! I don't think you'll have any problems whenever you go. Best of luck and ENJOY!!!

Ann

PS You may notice that we are cruising the Caribbean June1 - first day of Hurricane season!

Hi Ann, glad to hear the house is back to normal - that's wonderful news! Now you can get back to more important things - CRUISING!!!! :) I didn't take you to be a spoil sport at all - so no worries. If I were in your shoes I would be very gun shy as well. I completely understand. Like I said, I appreciate your thoughts and feedback. It's always nice to have several sides to things instead of just seeing my own. :) I'll keep you posted on what we decide.

Take care!

Dear bplazo....

I'd love your opinion between those two ships--Adventure vs. Serenade...I'm like the original poster and having a tough time deciding. Thanks. I've been searching all over the boards for people who have been on both ships. :)

We've only sailed on the Serenade and thoroughly enjoyed it! We thought it might be a bit of a letdown sailing on a smaller ship than the Mariner, but we really liked it. We loved all of the glass and the centrum area. It was very port intensive - we had a balcony and I'll bet we didn't sit out on it more than 4 or 5 hours because we were always so busy! We liked St. Maarten, but really liked Antigua and St. Lucia even more!

Hope this has helped!

You cannot go wrong on either ship!

Hi Brenda - I tried clicking your link to see the photos - but it says it's no longer working - is there some place else that I can see the photos instead? Thanks!

Archived