Travel Car Seats, where to purchase?

Chriz

I have read several of the other threads debating this issue, I would like reccomendations/personal experiences with travel car seats.

We are traveling with an 11 month old in less than 2 weeks to the Eastern Caribbean aboard the Liberty of the Seas.

I have seen the Eddy Bauer, are there others? Is this the best option (based on opinion).

Thanks in advance!

There are some different ones listed on Amazon. You can read reviews and decide which one is best for you. If you rush the shipment, you'll definitely receive it in time for your cruise. You'll pay extra for the shipping but it'll even out since there's no tax on Amazon.

Thanks, I am doing that as we speak.

I think that I may be better off just taking our regular car seat on the ship with us. We will only be using it in St. Maarten for our cab ride. I just hope that the cab's have seat belts to strap it down. It came with a carrying bag. We may check it at the Pier with our luggage if they will allow.

We use Recaro carseats for out twin 13 month-olds at home. Love them, but they are VERY heavy!! We bought Cosco Scenera seats for traveling. $44 at Walmart, come with a plastic carrying bag with a handle on them. I like the Recaro's for home, but these Cosco's are great for travel....very light!!

• 3 weeks later...

we bought a $35 car set from wal-mart before our cruise as we didn't want to carry our expensive, heavy one with us. The one we bought only weighs about 10 lbs and came with a bag (and handle) to carry it around with. If you are flying, make sure your carseat is airline approved or they will not let you use it on the plane. Ours was and yes, they did check it on both flights just as we stepped on the plane. It should have an FAA approved sticker on the side.

Hi all,

I too am interested in purchasing a travel car seat but am having a really hard time finding one in Canada or a company that would ship to Canada. I don't want to pay an outrageous amount, but thought that it would be a good investment as we have 2 cruises coming up and lots of ports of call and I really don't want to lug our heavy one around the beaches and shopping with us in port. lol Thanks in advance,

KT

We have a sit and stroll. It is great. We saw it in the skymall magazine and when we got home from a trip we googles it and found one for 160 dollars. It was an investment but we have definitly used it enough. It is a great car seat and then the wheels come out from the bottom and the handle out the back for a stroller. It is great. I always get stopped in the airport when I am traveling.

I second the motion of the Sit N Stroll. I bought ours brand new on ebay when ds7 was 3yo for our trip to Hawaii.

When getting to the airport, just lift ds and the stroller out together, pop out the wheels, pull up the handle and you're ready to go. It's also FAA approved to be used on the airplane--sweet.

If I had to do it again, I would buy one of those clip on umbrellas, but otherwise it was great. I wish I had it when he was younger. Pricey, but worth it for safety/convenience of not bringing a stroller and carseat. We had tons of people stopping us to ask about it.

• 1 month later...

Old thread I know... for an 11mos old, I would recommend a Cosco Scenera 5pt... the nice thing about them is that they are fairly small and light and the ones at Walmart at least, come in a nice plastic bag which can come in handy when traveling (I wouldn't check it in that bag though, not durable enough). Cost is usually $40-50 for this seat, so very reasonable. The EB travel seat isn't highly rated by car safety experts - ok in a pinch as a last resort but I understand it's not the easiest thing to get a good install with and if you can't install it right then it's really iffy if it would even work in a crash. Plus it is ffing only so really not a good option for the under 1 set.

hth

Old thread I know... for an 11mos old, I would recommend a Cosco Scenera 5pt... the nice thing about them is that they are fairly small and light and the ones at Walmart at least, come in a nice plastic bag which can come in handy when traveling

That's the one I use when I travel. It is light weight and fairly durable. We simple put it in a car seat bag we picked up at Babies R Us and gate check it. We only check it as luggage on the way home when we aren't concerned about it getting lost as we have another one installed in our car at home.

Archived